Cylinder wall rust??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2006, 01:28 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (13)

Cylinder wall rust???

I've got a situation on my hands. I recently picked up a 5.0 shortblock, never been run after machining. I got the thing cheap because it had been sitting for a couple years, under plastic. It had been oiled when it was first stored. Anyway, there are a few small specs of surface rust on a few of the cylinder walls. Or at least, what I thought was just surface rust. A friend of mine came over tonight to look at it and said that it was a very common and serious problem that 289s and 302s are notorious for. He said that he had seen it before, and that a machinist told him that it was actually rust coming from inside the block, through the water jackets (meaning the rust was coming from the inside out, rather than just being surface rust). Is there any truth to this, or is he wrong? I had never heard of this, and the block is otherwise very solid.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2006, 01:31 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

that would be some pretty serious rust to be coming from inside the water jacket to the cylinder i would think
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

that would be like the block is submerged in water for a couple of years-- remember the water jackets have water in them throughout the life of the motor. so i am 99% sure it is just surface rust. That will go away the first time u crank the motor over- the oil and rings will just cut the rust away. If u want to do it rite go buy 1 gallon of diesel fuel to clean the block with then assemble it. The diesel fuel will evaporate in like a nite so u don't have to worry about octane ratings.

new combo comin -- 2.6 kbed built motor!
Old 07-21-2006, 01:46 AM   #4

I would take it back to the machine shop and have them check it unless you can verify your buddies Xray vision. Sounds to me like some surface rust and if so hone it and go unless it is lots more than you are saying. I have never seen one rust from the water jasket in to the cylinder and no it isn't a common problem with 289/302's

Randy
Old 07-21-2006, 01:52 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (9)

Sounds like bs to me. If the block sat in a humid area for a few years slight surface rust is common. You can probably wipe it off with a little oil and your fingers in the cylinder bore. Worst case would be to do as already suggested, and have the machine shop do a very light hone job to remove the rust.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:15 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (13)

Thank you all for reassuring my thoughts. I had never heard of this before, but I figured better safe than sorry to ask around.
Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 AM   #7

My 68 block had some of this due to a blown HG in a prior build and caused some 'rust' on the wall, that remained after it was bored over .03. Machinist said it wouldnt be a problem...
Old 07-21-2006, 03:01 AM   #8

See if you can clean it up with a some steel wool. If it cleans up it's not that deap. Have it honed and put it together. You have to remember that if you have rust on iron it has already started to pit the metal. Even surface rust will have minor pitting not noticable to the human eye. If it's sat for 2 years, I would make sure it hones out before I put it back together. Should be fine though as long the pistons weren't in the block while it was sitting. I deal with corrosion on aircraft alot and have seen several different corroded metals magnified, aluminum is always the worst.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement