How would I install a fuel injection system into a non fuel injected vehicle? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2006, 11:54 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

How would I install a fuel injection system into a non fuel injected vehicle?

I would like to use a factory wiring harness, but how much of a pain will this be? And what would be my first steps be?

Thanks.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2006, 11:56 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (3)

Well, you are going to need computer, injectors, mass air, different pumps, manifolds, intake, etc. There is alot that you are going to be needing to change. Any reason for this ?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2006, 12:41 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (49)

Painless wiring makes a kit.
Old 03-06-2006, 01:22 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Do posssibly know the kit part Nmber? I currently going to swap a V8 into a 4 cylinder Mustang. Check my post for advise.
1980 solid lifter . 306 steel crankshaft, stock rods. DSS forged pistons,custom cam 565int/585exh by CROWER 10:1 compression, ARP bolted down with stage 3 TrickFlow Twisted Wedge Heads, ported polished a 3 angle valve job 2.02/1.60 - CROWER valve springs. 1.6 Ford Motorsport rockers. Induction - Trick Flow R series 75mm throtle 75 Pro-M Air mass meter calibrated to 30lbs injectors.
362HP 363FT LB N/A
Old 03-06-2006, 01:42 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (49)

You can try painlesswiring.com, or you can try stangparts.com for an original V8 harness. If you delete everything from the A/C and heat and fan controls either kit is fine. You might have to take out some wires from the V8 kit to make it work. I just removed all the a/c and heat stuff from my 93 and the electrical stuff powering what once was the fan. I bought another engine harness off ebay and just cut away the wires. The painless stuff will be close to $700, the original stuff will be around $150 for the whole kit from stangparts.com. I had to buy one once when I fried my harness it was $150. Ebay is also a good place to look, but you might just benefit from stangparts.com, they are in GA, and have a crapload of 87-03 parts. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #6

Why dont you just check out Ebay? Im sure you can find one on their in great condition for cheap.
Old 03-06-2006, 02:02 PM   #7

Why dont you just check out Ebay? Im sure you can find one on their in great condition for cheap.
Old 03-06-2006, 05:56 PM   #8

Might also want to check what the guys at Fordfuelinjection.com may have available. GL
LUK=Let Us Know, GL=Good Luck, LMK=Let Me Know, JIC=Just In Case, BTSTDTRT=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That, YCYDYP=Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative and the classic... DILLIGAS=Do I Look Like I Give A S***

1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

NOW: 5.0L Stock shortblock, X303 Cam, SP Offy. Port-O-Sonic, 700 cfm DP Holley, 289 '66, 1.7 RR, Richmond Gear 4+1 Trans., Centerforce DF kit, 2.73 Gears

WIP: 3.90 Gears(Motive Performance), LS Overhaul (FRPP), Adj. LCA's (New Design Granatelli Aluminum), Adj. UCA's (Granatelli), Caster/Camber Plates (MM), Subframe Conn. (MM) T-Top weatherstriping and rear braces bodywork
Old 03-06-2006, 11:18 PM   #9

I swaped EFI in my 84, and i would do it all over again. It wasnt hard at all just the odd and end parts killed me. i made 16 trips to the parts store in a day!!! Just make sure you have all the major stuff, i forgot a throttle cable and i needed my car that day so i had to go take one off a guys car and pay him $30 just the little stuff adds up easily.
Old 03-06-2006, 11:28 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (113)

I'm an E-Bay guy myself.There are harnesses on there everyday.Throttle cables,motor mounts,it's all there..........................I sound like a commercial.I need sleep.
'88 Tbird..Z=Spec T-5,GT-40 intake,Ed Curtis cam,Trick Flow heads,Cobra 1.7 rockers,3G,Mass Air with 24's,70mm t-body,140 mph speedo,8.8 with 3.55's,BBK shorties,mini starter,Pypes X-Pipe, Dynomax stainless mufflers,Deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Taurus fan,CHE control arms
Old 03-06-2006, 11:44 PM   #11

i picked up a donor car that had been dot'd, with a rebuilt motor and good trans. 600usd is what it cost me, and im currently pulling it all apart, using the complete harness headlight to taillight. Swaping in the dash and supporting parts for my 351 for my 82. So far....its a huge frickin job. On my truck i just took the engine harness and computer and put it in, and found some diagrams to tell me what wires needed power, grounded, etc etc, so thats an option, but for the mustang, i wanted a nice clean, splice free install.
Brian

87 Notch, E cam 1.72's, gt40 heads, cobra intake, 42's, SDS standalone with a little turbo.
Old 03-07-2006, 11:55 AM   #12

Well I was thinking of buying a 73-79 F150 4x4, and droping in a 351W EFI setup, and or 65 Fastback with the same. I have a complete 86 GT engine and wiring harness(engine), sensors (I think I have them all).
My questions are: What about the fuel pump, how to wire?
I as thinking of A/C, same question how to wire?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:13 PM   #13

Also, will a computer from a T-bird or Lincoln, (with or without mass air) work in a mustang with out any mods?

Thanks.
Old 03-07-2006, 08:44 PM   #14

stamped, the truck idea is awesome. I was a bit intimidated when i started the project on mine. But having a whole truck for a donor was key. Pulled the motor, injector and engine harness w/ computer from drivers kick pannel, fuel tank w/low pressure pump, lines, high press pump from frame rail. I even made the airbox system work from the 88 with some trimming on the intake tubes. My computer is mounted under the hood, harness goes from there. there is 2 main smaller harness' that tap into the chassis harness of the factory 88 truck. Tank was a direct bolt in. I ran normal rubber fuel line from the low pressure pump to the inlet of the high presure pump, then ran the proper efi lines to the fuel rail (only because the fuel lines from the tank to the hipres pump was damaged) Once it was plumed up, on to electrical. I found a few wiring diagrams of the same thing, because for some reason there were a few that were one or two wires oddball. You go through, find the wires to the computer that need constant power, then keyed power, grounded, all of the grounds throughout the main engine harness etc. You will find with some studying from the diagrams, that if you follow wires from the eec and fuel pump relays, it all starts to make sense where the wires go (to and from, with factory splices and Y's). i then took the wires from the fuel pump relay, to turn the pumps on, and made a small harness, from front to back. put it to the hi pressure pump, then carried on to the low. I basically got the gauges to work, although im going to replace the gauges with aftermarket, just to make sure things are truthful. Fuel gauge is off, but i coulda solved that with some patients and swapping of the senders in the tanks, cutting, and swapping. i run without a VSS, because consensus is that in the trucks that era, it basically does nothing, to no ill effect. I do have some minor issues that need addressed, like the egr and smog related stuff. The previous owner decided to remove it, and made a mess. So im going to do what needs to be done to eliminate that from the system, and eliminate vacume hard lines etc etc. I knew the motor was weak when i put it in, but had intentions of freshining it up later, but it ran extemely well. Idled great, awesome throttle response, and had no issues on steep inclines. Now it has a cooked exhaust valve so its not happy. If you would like anymore info, id be glad to try and help.
Brian

87 Notch, E cam 1.72's, gt40 heads, cobra intake, 42's, SDS standalone with a little turbo.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement