Need 331 & 347 bore and stroke specs - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2006, 01:01 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (18)

Need 331 & 347 bore and stroke specs

Hey guys,

was cleaning up my room today and found my Dyno2000 engine dyno software. I wanna tinker around with some 347/331 combos on the program. My buddy has a DSS 331 on layaway and I will be getting a 347 also from DSS.

Rather than post on which cams are best and what not, i just wanna play with some different cam specs and see what the dyno turns out. Its purely for my amusement, i know these #s wont be accurate.

Does anybody know the bore and stroke specs for a DSS 331/347? I'm not sure if different builders use different bore and stroke specs. I thought I read in 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords that CHPs "347" is actually a 342ci motor. I've searched and didnt find any numbers, just a bunch of topics on which motor is better.

Just got my wisdom teeth pulled yesterday and looking for something to keep me occupied while i sit here bored and in pain, lol. Thanks guys.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2006, 01:26 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

Most 332's (it's slightly bigger when rounded properly) are 4.030" bore by 3.25" stroke.

Most 347's are 4.030" bore X 3.40" stroke; however, you can also get to 347 by using an aftermarket block (Dart for example) with a 4.125" bore and a 3.25" stroke.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:30 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Good ol Google turned up this:

Stroker Engine Specifications

331 Cubic Inches - 4.030 inch Bore x 3.25 stroke (302 Engine Block)

347 Cubic Inches - 4.030 inch Bore x 3.40 stroke (302 Engine Block)

393w Cubic Inches - 4.030 inch Bore x 3.85 stroke (351w Engine Block)

408w Cubic Inches - 4.030 inch Bore x 4.00 stroke (351w Engine Block)

418w Cubic Inches - 4.030 inch Bore x 4.100 stroke (351w Engine Block)

427w Cubic Inches - 4.125 inch Bore x 4.00 stroke (351w Engine Block)

As Mike said, if you're running a Dart block you can bore that pig out and have yourself a big bore, short stroke 347. Mine is 4.125 X 3.25"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 02-19-2006, 01:47 PM   #4

awesome guys thanks! i already got the flow bench number for the afr 165 & 185s off their website so i can make an airflow file in the program.

if i feel really optimistic, I will even post to some dyno graphs to keep you all as entertained as i am.
Old 02-19-2006, 01:58 PM   #5

You can also get other combinations other ways -- a very common 427 offering for the Cobra replicas is with the standard 4.030" 30-over 351 block and a stroker 4.18" crank. Lots of ways to get there.
Old 02-19-2006, 02:00 PM   #6

bike- a 342 is not a 347 (blinding flash of the obvious there). You get 342 if you have a standard 4.00" block that's not been overbored combined with the 3.4" stroker crank. Bore it 30 over and you get 347. Just like the difference between a 302 and a 306.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (8)

Not to mention AFRs published airflow numbers were measured using a 4.060" bore. A smaller bore will decrease the actual flow.
70 Maverick Grabber, 5.0 (Performer RPM 2.02/1.6 heads, RPM intake, Comp XE266HR roller cam, 625 cfm Street Demon, EDIS/MegaJolt ignition, long headers), T5Z w/Steeda TriAx shifter, 9" "N" case Trac Loc w/3.89:1, 31 spline axles.
Old 02-20-2006, 11:59 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (46)

It's about time you cleaned your room
Old 02-20-2006, 07:04 PM   #9

Hey guys, thanks for all the good info!! Never can learn too much.

Yeah I set it all up with AFRs #s. I know they used a bigger bore, saw that on their website, but I really didnt care for my purpose. I'm basically just making cam profiles off of a bunch of different cams I was thinking of using. I figured instead of going around and asking what cam is good and what is not, i would just plug in the #s and see for myself. Being able to simulate my 347/AFR combo is a real plus.

The dyno program turns out #s a little bit lower compared to some magazine articles I have read. For instance, 5.0 Mustang & Super Ford did a comparison in the August '05 issue on AFR 165 vs. 185. The motor they used is IDENTICAL to what i want to run: 347, AFR 185s, Edelbrock Performer RPM II intake, 80mm TB, etc. The only thing is they used a pretty mild comp cam. I set their engine and cam specs up in Desktop Dyno and the #s were a bit lower (about 40 hp or so) but still proportional with their power and torque curves.

So, I may not have a good way to say exactly what power my motor will be making, but it serves the purpose for entering cam profiles and see what they do to the power band. I started using an E303 cam, and tinkered around from there. It's neat to watch your torque curve shift up or down and how the bell mouth changes. I did find with the identical setup that a 331 vs 347 makes the same HP. However the peak for the 331 is always 500 rpm higher (i.e.: 372HP @5500 rpm w/331, 372HP@5000RPM w/347). The torque #s peak at the same for both motors which is usually in the 3500RPM neightborhood, BUT the 331 is consistantly at least 20 lb-ft less than the 347.

I am set on my choice with the 347 because the peak output numbers are slightly lower in the powerband and the torque curves are slightly better for my street driving that I will be using it for. I'm not the type of guy that is gonna crank my motor out to the redline often.

So far, the best cam profile with the biggest #s and widest, nastiest torque curve is the Anderson N-41 cam. I did have my heart set on a Lunati Voodoo (p/n 61011) thanks to their great market and the cool logo (shame on me for buying the damn t-shirt!!!) but the N-41s torque curve pulls higher and harder and for longer than the voodoos does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement