Stock piston clearance with 2.02 intake valve? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2006, 07:31 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Stock piston clearance with 2.02 intake valve?

Does anyone know if you will need to knotch stock pistons when using a 2.02 intake valve with stock compression?

How about 10:1 compression, will they need to be notched then?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2006, 08:28 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (30)

yes, unless you have Twisted Wedge heads. I had Windsor Sr's on a stock bottom end and had to flycut to clear a B-cam (.480 lift) on the intake. Exhaust side cleared fine, the edge of the valve hits just above the eyebrow. I have heard 1.94 is the biggest intake valve you can use on a inline valve head, I know my 289 heads with 1.94/1.60 cleared with an E-cam (.498 lift) with no problem. hope this helps...
Kil Kare Speedway
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-30-2006, 09:10 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (21)

Garage
Not sure exactly what sickboy is saying, based on the fact that you didn't provide info on what year the car is (86 and older were flat-top, 87+ were notched), and didn't provide info on the cam. A 2.02 will have no problem clearing the pistons.... assuming the duration does not put the valve events anywhere close to TDC.

YOU MUST MEASURE P-TO-V CLEARANCE - DO NOT TAKE ANYONE'S WORD FOR GRANTED

I figure Mike would see this post, so I thought I'd save him the trouble

Eric

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 01-30-2006, 09:25 PM   #4

the point I was making was the diameter of a 2.02 sets the edge of the valve above the valve relief, this was on an '89 HO shortblock. I also ran into this problem with an AFR 185 with 2.02's on a friends motor, the cam in either combo wasnt over 224* @ .050. What I am saying is dont just go out and buy a set of 2.02 heads without assuming they may not bolt onto a stock bottom end.
Kil Kare Speedway
Old 01-30-2006, 09:57 PM   #5

Garage
Regardless, the valve will not touch the piston at full rest (no ****), so the only real challenge is to see what the limit is as far as the allowed lift at a given duration.

We have NO idea what year block this is, what heads these are, the CC volume, or most importantly, the cam specs. That is why it seemed erroneous to me that you'd tell him "yea you need to notch the pistons" when there is the chance that if he measured (which you should ALWAYS do) he could be fine.

Besides, with that 224 at 0.050 you aren't looking at intake vs. exhaust centerline, much less the measured lift at given point in valve events (degree of ATDC or BTDC)

My suggestion (to everybody!) is to read Buddy's page on cam dynamics : http://wighat.com/fcr3/camtruth.htm

Eric

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 01-30-2006, 10:35 PM   #6

Actually...i'm shopping for heads. I have a '95 stock block and want to add new heads running 10:1 compression. I basically don't want to touch the bottom end, just bolt up a set of new heads for another 25-50k miles. If I find that 2.02's will interefere with a cam of my choice I will back off either the cam or the heads.

I'll try to talk to an engine builder as well.
Old 01-30-2006, 10:40 PM   #7

I would listen to this guy, he knows everything. Obviously he has installed 2.02 heads on a 302 Ford many times.
Kil Kare Speedway
Old 01-30-2006, 11:18 PM   #8

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by SICKBOY
I would listen to this guy, he knows everything. Obviously he has installed 2.02 heads on a 302 Ford many times.
My bad for saying you should take the time to measure p-to-v clearance and explaining why doing that would require all the info to even guesstimate whether or not he would need to notch the pistons - I'll take the blame for that one.

Anyway, to answer your question 95gt, I'd talk to the manufacturer of the head, cam, what not, and post a thread on here giving the specifics and seeing anyone has built a similiar combo. Would definately help out a lot I got a lot of info (search by name) and was able to build a pretty good H/C/I LS1-killer (but still going for the custom grind after the new gears are in )

If you have any questions, I'd e-mail buddy rawls at Rawls1103@aol.com, or PM tmoss, Michael Yount, Bryan Rogers, etc. - they can give you some pointers (helped me out a lot) and info on going about your build.

Good luck!

Eric

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 01-30-2006, 11:29 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (9)

They will not clear. The radial clearance isnt there, even with a stock cam. There may be plenty of depth, but the relief diameter isnt big enough.
Old 01-31-2006, 01:34 AM   #10

Thanks for the advice guys! This definately opens my eyes to all the research I have to do.
Old 01-31-2006, 11:52 AM   #11

lets get it straight...I never suggested not to do a PV clearence check. What I stated was that FROM EXPERIENCE I can tell you they will not fit! As for it depending on the cam and centerline and valve events you may be correct, if you had a cam that opens the intake valve like 10* ATDC it MAY clear but I'm guessing it wouldnt make much power! A B303 opens at ~5* BTDC and with only .480 lift it wont clear. So "Mr. Piston to Valve Clearence" where are you gonna get a stick to make this work? Have you ever done this swap yourself? do you speak from experience? I was running an 11 sec 306 with 2.02 Windsor Sr's before you were old enough to even drive a car! Go read antoher magazine article.
Kil Kare Speedway
Old 01-31-2006, 12:12 PM   #12

Ouch! ..... Lets keep this friendly guys.

I agree however, they will not clear.
650 cfm Quickfuel ProVac
Bassani Equal Length
Old 01-31-2006, 12:28 PM   #13
Formerly known as jbj302

Trader Feedback: (51)

Quote:
yes, unless you have Twisted Wedge heads. I have heard 1.94 is the biggest intake valve you can use on a inline valve head, I know my 289 heads with 1.94/1.60 cleared with an E-cam (.498 lift) with no problem. hope this helps...
I agree with this 100%. I also have a stock bottom/pistons. I've been researching this also, and this is exactly what I found out. Thats why I'm in the process of getting a set of Twisted Wedge Heads and AFM B-21 Cam with, I think, 6.750 pushrods.
Old 02-01-2006, 09:11 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
lets get it straight...I never suggested not to do a PV clearence check. What I stated was that FROM EXPERIENCE I can tell you they will not fit! As for it depending on the cam and centerline and valve events you may be correct, if you had a cam that opens the intake valve like 10* ATDC it MAY clear but I'm guessing it wouldnt make much power! A B303 opens at ~5* BTDC and with only .480 lift it wont clear. So "Mr. Piston to Valve Clearence" where are you gonna get a stick to make this work? Have you ever done this swap yourself? do you speak from experience? I was running an 11 sec 306 with 2.02 Windsor Sr's before you were old enough to even drive a car! Go read antoher magazine article.
Didn't realize that experience necessitated age

The only real point I made was that he shouldn't take one post from someone as granted; he should take the time to measure just to make sure, and learn in the process. What would have happened if he posted this and someone told him "yea, it will work" and he's got kissing on start-up?

No I have not done a B-cam swap, nor have I dealt with your heads, but since a H/C/I swap procedure between two cars is the same deal, then to answer your question, I DO speak from experience.

I am so happy for you and your really cool 11 second car I can barely contain myself

Eric

'99 Cobra - #256 of 4055
'88 LX 5.0 - Deceased
Old 02-02-2006, 12:41 AM   #15

Trader Feedback: (0)

it is all a sack of c r a p.

there is no reason that the piston to valve clearance cannot be checked.

and if the pistons need some amount of clearancing, so be it.

WHY give up the performance advantage or sacrifice some power with a smaller cam just because you are LAZY.......

it is so easy to add clearance to the pistons....
Old 02-02-2006, 12:42 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (0)

my advice lazy -a$$ is to just leave it stock if you do not want to do any work...!!!
Old 02-02-2006, 10:17 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffManRHA
Didn't realize that experience necessitated age

The only real point I made was that he shouldn't take one post from someone as granted; he should take the time to measure just to make sure, and learn in the process. What would have happened if he posted this and someone told him "yea, it will work" and he's got kissing on start-up?

No I have not done a B-cam swap, nor have I dealt with your heads, but since a H/C/I swap procedure between two cars is the same deal, then to answer your question, I DO speak from experience.

I am so happy for you and your really cool 11 second car I can barely contain myself

Eric
I guess I should just bow down to obvious superior knowledge in this matter. Billy Glidden should really step down from his throne with expert engine builders like you on the horizon showing us how its down with your big bad 165 headed power house.
Kil Kare Speedway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement