How do you measure the size of the crankshaft and rod bearings? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2005, 10:52 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (9)

How do you measure the size of the crankshaft and rod bearings?

I'm just looking to measure my old ones so i know i get the correct size when i purchase new ones. Thanks!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2005, 11:17 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (16)

on the back of the bearing it will say .std or .010 or .020 that means standard or .010 over .020 over meaning the crank has been cut. check the rods and mains, if its a stock motor chances are it will be std-std but i had a 302 come apart .010- std before. you can also measure the journals with a micrometer.
Fox 8:50
"And the dynos rumbled, and God spoke 'Take thine five liter v8, install it upon thine car, and pwn the many ricers!' And thus Mustang, son-of-Ford, began to dominate the world 4 cylinder powered imports. And God looked down upon it and saw it was all that and a bag of chips
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:18 PM   #3

are you supposed to change the main bearings as well?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:25 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (21)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastwhite86gt
are you supposed to change the main bearings as well?
As long as youre going to the trouble of replacing the rod bearings, you might at well, you have to expose them to get to the rod bearing so why not. Cheap insurance. A new timing chain wouldnt hurt either while your in there.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:28 PM   #5

can i just buy the main caps for the crank and rods at autozone. Also i was told by a couple members on this site that if i am leaving the cylinder walls alone(which i am, the cross hatching is still very clear), that i should re use my old rings. my question is do i have to re gap the old rings when i put the pistons back in?

Last edited by fastwhite86gt; 12-07-2005 at 11:33 PM.
Old 12-07-2005, 11:47 PM   #6

make sure all the pistons and rods go back in the same bore. i would order the rod and main bearings you need from summit or similar. idk if autozone has them but i doubt it. check the sizes buy the bearings timing chan and oil pump. shouldnt cost you much, you can leave the rings alone home honing is a bad thing most times.
"And the dynos rumbled, and God spoke 'Take thine five liter v8, install it upon thine car, and pwn the many ricers!' And thus Mustang, son-of-Ford, began to dominate the world 4 cylinder powered imports. And God looked down upon it and saw it was all that and a bag of chips
Old 12-07-2005, 11:54 PM   #7

should i replace the rod and crank caps also?
Old 12-08-2005, 01:20 AM   #8

you need to keep your caps. they stay in the order they came from, otherwise you'll need to have it alighn bored.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:23 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (54)

Autozone carries the Clevite bearings you need, incase you don't want to order them via mail order. Why the rebuild? I would at least get a ball home to break the glaze on the cylinders. I don't think I'd ever reuse the rings.. Cheap insurance once again..
Old 12-08-2005, 08:11 AM   #10

The block/rotating assembly has just over 50k miles on it. Everything was redone on the last rebuild. I was originally going to put different pistons in it along with a different cam, etc. but a turbo kit fell into my hands so i'm not going to change anything. The setup i have is a pretty good turbo setup
Sponsored Links
Advertisement