What is your idle vacuum reading with E303 cam? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2005, 08:48 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

What is your idle vacuum reading with E303 cam?

Anyone with a E303 cam please post your idle RPM and vac readings. thanks
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2005, 10:58 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

You really need to know the rest of the set up too - not just the cam choice, as well as how it was installed.

Stock/healthy bottom end; Y303 heads; 1.7 rollers; Explorer intake; 65mm/75mm t-b and maf; stock HO headers and a 2.25" into single 3" system a la F-body. It was degreed in 'straight up' - .050" lift at 0 degrees TDC. I was never able to achieve more than 13" of vacuum and that was at about 1100 rpm. At 900 it would barely run - about 11" of vacuum. I made a TERRIBLE cam choice with my then limited exhaust system.

I've since altered the exhaust and put a custom cam in. MUCH happier am I. I sold the E used and the guy that bought it has since taken it out and sold it. I am convinced there is just one E cam out there that simply gets passed around from person to person -- as they each realize in turn there are much better choices. So I guess you have it now. Guess what the solution is gonna be?

Last edited by Michael Yount; 11-06-2005 at 11:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-06-2005, 11:28 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (54)

E303, Cobra intake, Longtubes w/ 2 1/2" exhaust, 65mm Throttle body. I idle at 750-800 rpm and hold 16+ psi vacuum at idle.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:29 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (3)

My E wil 1.72's and P heads showed 12".

Eric
Old 11-06-2005, 02:37 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

13 inches of vacuum

850 rpm idle

Cam installed straight up

Combo: 306ci, Edelbrock Performer intake w/BBK 70mm throttle body, AFR 165 heads, Scorpion 1.6 roller rockers, Paxton NOVI 2000, 80mm Pro-M MAF, BBK 1 5/8" Shorty headers, MAC 2 1/2" H-Pipe w/cats and a 2 1/2" Dual Stainless Catback
Old 11-06-2005, 03:04 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (2)

I have an e-cam advanced 4 degrees with edelbrock heads and a gt-40 intake and a a-trim. It sits at 12 inches at 850rpm's.
Class Champion
Old 11-06-2005, 04:48 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

Thanks everyone for the responses.

I am seeing a steady 10" at 950rpm idle with my E303. It was installed by the previous owner and have not taken the front of the engine apart, so I don't know how it was installed.

It idles slightly rougher than I think it should along with the low vacuum reading. I did a compression test and all cylinders were 165-170psi except for #3, which was in the 145-148psi range. So my thinking is that the valve adjustment on that cylinder might be slightly too tight, causing lower than normal compression and vacuum readings, along with the rougher idle.

Combo is a factory 5.0L short block, E303, Edelbrock heads, 1.6 rockers, 65mm TB, Performer 5.0L intake, 1 5/8" shorties into 2.5" H-pipe & catback, and a Paxton SN89.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement