TrickFlow stage 3 cam users please read - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2005, 09:22 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (25)

TrickFlow stage 3 cam users please read

Hello guys, I'm down in the garage contimplating my next move. I think i would like to try a trickflow stage 3 cam in my combo. My combo is (basically) listed in my sig. i currently have a wolverine (LOL) cam that specs in at 222/232 .510/.534. now this cam actually produces a decent idle and DECENT power, but i have run a computer simulation of my setup and the trickflow stage 3 really seems to turn this combo on. i would like to know what kind of luck the users of this cam are having, and what kind of idle it produces, and any funky issues you may have encountered. also, and most importantly, what kind of springs are you guys using with this cam? anyone using this cam please chime in, i'm listening. thanks in advance. Aaron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2005, 09:27 PM   #2
Banned Alleged Scammer

Trader Feedback: (146)

I have on installed in my EFI 393 , I took it to the dyno and it made weak #'s but there were other issues concering the tune of the car so I'll run it again now that I have these issues hopefully worked out .
I think you'll like it over the current cam for more mid and top end power .
thesource is banned  
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-27-2005, 02:46 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

now you know why I bought one...!!!

If its even close to what desktop dyno says...I'm happy...

The fellas at TEA put it in a 331 with their renegade TW heads and the TFSR box intake and made 530 at the crank with 9.5:1 compression...imagine what you get with 11+ compression...hehe

their heads flowed 300 @ .500 lift...very, very good...so use that vs. your heads to see how much power you'll drop...

I am working on my heads now to open em up a bit to flow better...they are pinched at the pushrods...

can't wait...just can't wait...

(now which intake to use...the RPMII i got...or sell and get the TFSR box...or Victor/jr. style with elbow like you got...hmmm...decisions, decisions...)
Old 09-27-2005, 04:22 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

I got one in my 327. Made 350 hp @6500 and only 300ftlbs torque. This was through an AOD with a 4500 stall. It idles good at about 900, but I run a carb. Also Im using ps-3 springs (I think thats what he sent me) from Ed Curtis. The trick flow upgrade springs didnt last very long.

Last edited by squanto98; 09-27-2005 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-28-2005, 12:24 PM   #5

I appreciate your input guys. This cam looks like it will produce alot of upper-mid to top end power compared to the cam i have now. I'm still collecting info if anyone else cares to share any. thanks again!
Old 09-28-2005, 02:24 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (3)

I ran one in my NA 347 motor. It made 365hp @ 5800 and 380ft/lbs @ 4200 at the wheels.
Combo was basically this:
-10.0 to 1 compression with TFS III camshaft
-Edelbrock RPM heads (slightly ported)
-Saleen intake (slightly ported), ported 302 truck lower
-1-5/8" MAC Longtube headers (w/ 2-1/2" prochamber)
-Dynomax super turbo 2-1/2" cat back
-Pro M 77, 36lb injectors, 75mm TB

The cam didn't have any major issues with drivability (not so great below 1800rpm) and made a lot more torque then I was expecting.

An old co-worker used it in his NA 408 stroker and made well over 450hp - 450ft/lbs at the wheels with no tuning (factory computer and no chip). (I'm pretty sure he ended up making close to 500 hp at the wheels after some minor tuning).

For the price, it is pretty hard to beat.
Old 09-28-2005, 04:33 PM   #7

Do you guys know off hand if Trickflow makes its stage III cam for 460ci big blocks by chance?

Shane
'92 Thunderbird SC (35CP)- ex NASA American Iron car turned SCCA terror: CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR SPONSORS. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME OUT!!!!
Glynn Motorsports
- Project Autocross Terror/747/snow plow
Old 09-29-2005, 08:44 AM   #8

here's all the cams they offer...

http://www.trickflow.com/product/cam..._camsspecs.asp
Old 09-29-2005, 02:46 PM   #9

I would have a cam designed around the headflow of those Victor Jr's. The TFS Stage 3 is a big ass cam, the duration of 248 is too big to have manners on the street, IMO.
What about a Comp cam XE282HR - .565/.574, 232/240 dur @.050, 114LC. That would give u more street manners and more power.

Man, that 347 u got is nicely done. Remember that ur RWHP threshold for stock 302 roller blocks even w/ a girdle is 520rwhp. U got a big ass blower on there already and ur probably making that already. U could throw the new cam in there and hit 550-560 and then split the block.

U may want to consider as ur next move is to setup to a R or Dart block and never have to worry about splitting it.
93 Black Mustang Cobra-R356ci, Victor 300cc heads, Sup Vic
Old 09-29-2005, 08:47 PM   #10

Hey thanks again for your input everyone. I don't know whick way i will go on this yet. I figured before i went with a custom grind, i would at least ask around about this cam. I did look into the comp cams but that was a while ago. i may revisit their site and have a look-see. Thanks strkr 347 for the compliments, my 347 is quite strong, but i have no idea what it's putting out yet. (no dyno-data) what i can tell you is that with the powerglide wound out in low at approx. 70 mph you can hit high and paint two nice black lines as long as you can hold on. (not too long with drag radials) again i would like to ask if anyone knows of a "drop in" spring that works well with this cam? thanks!
Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 PM   #11

well...

Im runnin the comp beehive shimmed .030" to give 137 seat and 340 ish open with titanium retainers...that should work...

backup is K-Motion K-800 at a 1.900 installed ht which yields 145 ish seat and 450 ish open. I ran these on my small base circle cam in the 408 motor on the street for 2 years with no troubles...and yes it went to 6500 rpm+ on many an occassion...

these are duals with dampner and are about 90 bucks from Summit...
Old 09-30-2005, 01:53 PM   #12

I have the ps-3 springs from ed curtis. They are about 150 on the seat and are a drop in. I opted for the titanium retainers with them, and they pull to 7200rpm with no signs of valve float (oops)
Old 09-30-2005, 03:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by botlrokit93
Hey thanks again for your input everyone. I don't know whick way i will go on this yet. I figured before i went with a custom grind, i would at least ask around about this cam. I did look into the comp cams but that was a while ago. i may revisit their site and have a look-see. Thanks strkr 347 for the compliments, my 347 is quite strong, but i have no idea what it's putting out yet. (no dyno-data) what i can tell you is that with the powerglide wound out in low at approx. 70 mph you can hit high and paint two nice black lines as long as you can hold on. (not too long with drag radials) again i would like to ask if anyone knows of a "drop in" spring that works well with this cam? thanks!
My friend who I sold my 347 stroker changed his combo again, the heads r ported Dart Windsors, 9.0 comp flat tops, Comp cam XE282HR now with a 114LC, S-trim w/ 15lbs of boost and put down 611 rwhp and 641rwtq on C16 on a 302 roller block w/ a girdle. Urs s/b close to this or more but it's risky. This is the first time I have seen a blower motor have more tq than hp. He had a custom burned chip done with three stages to run on the street and strip.
93 Black Mustang Cobra-R356ci, Victor 300cc heads, Sup Vic
Old 09-30-2005, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by squanto98
I have the ps-3 springs from ed curtis. They are about 150 on the seat and are a drop in. I opted for the titanium retainers with them, and they pull to 7200rpm with no signs of valve float (oops)
Squanto...

you got a dyno sheet on that motor...i'm dying to see the curves...

how does it cruise at 2500-3000 rpm...any bucking...???

do you have lockup still...???

THX...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement