2000 V6 to 351 swap? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2005, 03:05 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

2000 V6 to 351 swap?

I would really like to swap a 351 into my 2000 v6 manual. Building the motor i can handle but what all would i need to drop a 351 into my car. I'm trying to decide whether id be better off doing a mod motor or a pushrod, but i'd rather do a 351. Thanks in advance.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2005, 03:33 PM   #2

i think youd be better off starting from a different platform. maybe selling your 2000, buying a cheap foxbody and swaping a 351w into that. never done the swap myself, but i think from the cash you get from selling your 2000 you might break even.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-01-2005, 04:27 PM   #3

stangnet.com has a great thred about 351w swap for fox body but its gonna be very useful u can ask them about ur swap the'll be happy to help, go to the 5.0 tech forum u will fined it
Old 05-01-2005, 08:19 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

Do it!

What transmission do you have? Borg-Warner T5? You will need a bellhousing and input shaft from a 94-95 5.0 Mustang. IF they did not change the crossmember in 96, the 94-95 motor mounts as well...

That will get it in there... after that, it's just peripheral components. Carbureted engine? Use a throttle cable intended for a 79-85 carbureted Mustang. Fuel lines, don't know about that. Spark could be handled with MSD or other aftermarket ignition. Starter works no differently. Use 351 for fox body exhaust headers and I THINK the 94+ midpipes and catback will work.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:34 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III
Do it!

What transmission do you have? Borg-Warner T5? You will need a bellhousing and input shaft from a 94-95 5.0 Mustang. IF they did not change the crossmember in 96, the 94-95 motor mounts as well...

That will get it in there... after that, it's just peripheral components. Carbureted engine? Use a throttle cable intended for a 79-85 carbureted Mustang. Fuel lines, don't know about that. Spark could be handled with MSD or other aftermarket ignition. Starter works no differently. Use 351 for fox body exhaust headers and I THINK the 94+ midpipes and catback will work.
Well i wanted to do fuel injected and i was hoping a computer from a fox would work for me but i was told it will not. I do have a borg T-5 same as the 94-95 but ive heard they suck and cant handle over 300 hp so i would prob do a TKO. My main question was about the K member. I have no idea if the k member in my car is the same as a GT of my year or the same as the 94-95 being that the vsux is a pushrod motor much like the one they used in 94-95.
Old 05-03-2005, 12:02 AM   #6

You will need to find out if there is any difference in the chassis wiring between 94-95 and 2000... If there is I don't think the computer will plug into the wiring from a "wrong" generation car. You could also see if the chassis wiring is the same between 1996 and 2000, if it is, I know the early modulars had a distributor so you MIGHT be able to use the newer EFI on the 351 IF the fuel injectors will fit the manifold... I don't know any of this.

If nothing will work out, I guess you need a standalone engine management system.

Got to check if the throttle body cable is the same between 94-95 and 2000. I doubt it.

Ask your crossmember question in a Modular Tech forum...
Old 05-03-2005, 07:34 PM   #7

i second starting with a different platform, you'll be money ahead if you do. my buddy was thinking about doing it in his 95 V6 and when he started tallying up the costs just the conversion was in the $5000 range. not to mention labor if you can't do it yourself.
Old 05-03-2005, 08:52 PM   #8

All Mustangs built from 1979 to 2004 share the same platform. It's a matter of bolting the correct parts together. What you mean, of course, is to start with a car that already has the "right" parts for the engine in mind...
Old 05-03-2005, 10:50 PM   #9

exactly
Old 05-04-2005, 12:16 AM   #10
jeb

I will someday do the same swap. If saleen can do it I can do it. He has a lot more resouces than I do, but hey. I don't see why you could'nt use the sn95 wiring and fuel lines(assuming wheelbase is the same) I read in MM&FF that the s351's started out life as base V-6's and went to saleen for the heart transplant, So I would think the K-member would be the same. I dont think the 3.8 changed as far as block design from 94-04, and all they are is 302 minus 2-cyl's. The only thing That should be difficult would be wiring up the A/C and dash stuff. The 00's are alread dual pistons on the brakes, so the front and rears would be $800 for the cobra upgrade front and rears.. The rear would have to be swapped, But all in aalll I don't think it's an unreasonable one. Most of the 5.0 parts engine and suspension are the same from 79-04. If you do it keep us posted.
K&N, Pullies, GT40 irons, Explorer intakes, 65mm TB, 76mm C&L, TFS Stage 2 cam, Crane 1.6's, 190lph pump, Crane AFPR, , Heddman LT's, H-pipe, 3" 2-chabers w/ dumps, Lakewood bellhousing, Tremec 3550, Heavy duty clutch, Alluminum D/S, Granatelli quadrant, Cobra front calipers, Power slots, Hawke pads, Braided lines, 95 M/C, Wilwood prop valve, 02GT Wheels, Steeda Competition springs, C/C plates, Offset LCA bush's, Xs Ball-joints, bumpsteer kit, poly rack bush's, Koni Yellow SA struts, Strut tower brace, Qa1 K-member, Cobra steering rack, SFC's, 95 Axles and brakes, Steeda rear adj. sway bar. UPR c-arms, 3.27's, bilstien shocks. Sorry, no times
Old 05-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb
I will someday do the same swap. If saleen can do it I can do it. He has a lot more resouces than I do, but hey. I don't see why you could'nt use the sn95 wiring and fuel lines(assuming wheelbase is the same) I read in MM&FF that the s351's started out life as base V-6's and went to saleen for the heart transplant, So I would think the K-member would be the same. I dont think the 3.8 changed as far as block design from 94-04, and all they are is 302 minus 2-cyl's. The only thing That should be difficult would be wiring up the A/C and dash stuff. The 00's are alread dual pistons on the brakes, so the front and rears would be $800 for the cobra upgrade front and rears.. The rear would have to be swapped, But all in aalll I don't think it's an unreasonable one. Most of the 5.0 parts engine and suspension are the same from 79-04. If you do it keep us posted.
On another forum i was told it was the same k member as a 2000 GT so i have no clue which k member i have still.
Old 05-04-2005, 08:43 PM   #12

i posted earlier about selling your car and starting on a cheaper foxbody becuase i assumed you were on a budget. money is an important factor to this swap and is one of the main reasons why people choose to supercharger than to grab the cubes. i just think if you sell your car (assuming its mint) you would be more comfortable (monetary (sp?) wise). even though it is the same chassis as the fox, you have to remember that a different body style would have it quirks. there are considerably more write ups out there for a fox swap also.
Old 05-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #13

If it is not needed as your daily driver for a extened time, it is doable. I did it in my 93 Tbird, and it is a lot easier with the Mustang. If you want to do FI, get a 90s model Ford van with one as a donor and go to work. I did mine carbed, so it is a all new install.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:08 AM   #14

Couple of facts... K-members did change in V6 cars in 96 along with the GT so you will need a 94-95 member. Also you will need the harness and computer from 94-95 V8 car too.. You will need to replumb the fuel system since the 99+ V6's are returnless (which includes new fuel line, fuel pump basket, etc.). When you go with the 94-95 computer and use your stock T-5 (which the 99+ V6 T-5 is a stout stock T-5), you will need to swap tailshafts and convert to a gear driven VSS. The bellhousing pattern and depth is the same as 94-95 V8's.

Then.... you start into the particulars that do with the engine itself. Like it was said, a 95 or older would be a better starting point. You have significant things to overcome just to get the car to the point to start the swap.
Old 05-22-2005, 02:23 AM   #15

I think it's a worthwhile swap and was thinking about doing it myself, mainly because I love the '99-up body style but hate modulars!

So can you use normal 5.0 motor mounts in a 2000 V6 for the 351 like you can in '95-earlier cars?

If one were to use a standalone or wire in an eec-IV, what other electrical concerns would there be? Like the tach/ other gauges not working? I think somebody told me that people used earlier (like '96-'97?) gauge clusters when they standalone the newer cars? And you pretty much don't have to worry about PATS, do you? Since you've pulled out the V6 computer...

And are the brakes smaller than a GT?
'65 FB

http://www.utahstangs.org
Old 05-22-2005, 02:51 AM   #16

Like Kloven said earlier, if money is no object then start with a different car. My S351 started life as a V6. I did some simple math and took inventory of everthing Saleen did on my car to get it where it is. I know it sounds ridiculous but it almost was a bargain.
Anyway, after your K member swap, motor mounts ( unless you are going to run an aftermarket hood) and installing the motor is the easy part.
Nickle and dime yourself to death later with everything else all the way down the line out to your tailpipes. If you have the time and money and are determined to do it for a project, then get at it. Otherwise, start with an OBD I car 94-95 if you want an SN95. I'm not saying it cant be done by bargain standards either. The thing is and everyone else here knows what I'm talking about is you always spend more and ( well, while I'm here ) money then you want to.
You will save yourself a few steps if you start with another car or just go find yourself a 03 Cobra crate motor. You can pick one of those up for 6-7 large.

Last edited by marcussaleen; 05-22-2005 at 03:06 AM.
Old 05-22-2005, 12:05 PM   #17

I doubt that cobra crate motor comes with a computer/etc to run it.

Besides, no one mentioned wanting one in the first place. We want "W" power in our '99-up! And you can't just "buy a car with one already in it" because they don't exist.

Stay on topic, people.
'65 FB

Old 05-23-2005, 01:12 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik88GT

I doubt that cobra crate motor comes with a computer/etc to run it.

Besides, no one mentioned wanting one in the first place. We want "W" power in our '99-up! And you can't just "buy a car with one already in it" because they don't exist.

Stay on topic, people.

Right back at ya.

There is a 03 Cobra crate motor ( still in the Ford wrap with the pre lube assembbly instructions written by hand and harness) at my friends shop right at this moment. Ordered just like that from FRPP. That was for you.

Agreed, Cobra crate motor off topic.

If you want to be picky, you can go out and find a 99-00 ( 99 chassis ) Saleen S351 used. They are big money. They do exist.

Oh yea. Eric, you can use 5 liter motor mounts but unless you mod them you will need a new hood with what they have available in 351 upper intakes. Unless you go carb.

Last edited by marcussaleen; 05-23-2005 at 01:16 AM.
Old 05-23-2005, 04:58 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (9)

If you really want a list of everything you need to do to swap let me know. It is very involved. If you live near an area that requires emissions testing you have to stay OBD II. That means a modified V6 wiring harnes. As stated earlier Saleen did it. It's not cheap though. Looking at about a grand to have it done. The fuel system will need to be reworked some. The k-member question---94-5 gt's have the same K-member as the V6 cars till atleast 98. Not sure if the 99-up s were different. I know the mod motor cars are different. I would not reccommend using your current T5. Go ahead and get the 6 speed conversion. The motor mounts are an issue too. Just contact me for further questions.
Old 05-23-2005, 06:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by S351R"Animal"
If you really want a list of everything you need to do to swap let me know. It is very involved. If you live near an area that requires emissions testing you have to stay OBD II. That means a modified V6 wiring harnes. As stated earlier Saleen did it. It's not cheap though. Looking at about a grand to have it done. The fuel system will need to be reworked some. The k-member question---94-5 gt's have the same K-member as the V6 cars till atleast 98. Not sure if the 99-up s were different. I know the mod motor cars are different. I would not reccommend using your current T5. Go ahead and get the 6 speed conversion. The motor mounts are an issue too. Just contact me for further questions.
A few points... The V6 wiring harness will not support a V8. Certain parts can be used, but as a whole there is no real way to use a V6 harness and computer with a V8.

94-95 GT's and 94-95 V6's have the same K-member
96-04 GT's and 96-04 V6's have the same k-member. There is no overlap.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:23 PM   #21

i guess you didn't read the post carefully. The harness Saleen used was a modified V6 harness. If you know how to do it yourself it isn't that bad. You do away with a few wires and add quite a few. You change the pin programming on the main harness to the engine bay and to the injector harness.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcussaleen
Right back at ya.
There is a 03 Cobra crate motor ( still in the Ford wrap with the pre lube assembbly instructions written by hand and harness)...
Still no computer?

I didn't know Saleen made the S351 those years. Good info.

I already have an AEM for the EFI and I don't live in an emissions county. I was also planning on getting a tremec.

Can you just buy a '94'-'95 aftermarket K-member for a '99-newer? In reality, I could just as easily weld my own perches on the stock K to get the motor to sit where I wanted it.

As far as wiring, I'm the most concerned about how the alarm, door locks, gauges etc. ties into the factory computer or if it does at all? Do I need an earlier gauge cluster?

Will any '94-newer 8.8 work?
'65 FB

Last edited by Erik88GT; 05-23-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 05-23-2005, 11:32 PM   #23

For the K-member you can use any Sn-95 Tubular K-member for a windsor. If you are interested in tackeling the wiring conversion shot me an e-mail. I will see if i can dig up the prints to do the conversion. As for the 8.8 you need to find a 99-up 8.8. The 94-8 rears are just a hair narrower. I have a source for the computer if you decide to go with the conversion.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:16 AM   #24

Scott,

How did I know you were going to pick this thread off!

Eric, SteedaV6builder,

No one is telling you it cant be done, It's just a bit a work, and as everyone knows, the first time around can get frustrating.
"animal" answered your 8.8 and k member questions. You wont have any problems with the door locks or gauges. I would source new gauges anyway.

It's all just a lot of work. Animal can help you. If not, my guy out here in CA can build you the "piggy back" harness piece. Incedentally, he is the same fellow who built the mod for Saleen. It will cost 1 large. Then you need to get it in your car.

Good luck with it. Gotta love new projects.
Old 05-24-2005, 12:39 AM   #25

It is alot of work. It all depends on what you want top do with the car. I have a friend who is currently converting a 99-up V6 car to a 351w. There is alot involved. If you can do the work yourself it saves alot. If you can't, your best bet is to buy a S351. Marcus's friend in CA is the person who told me about the mods. I got my harness for my 96 from him so mine could be obd II someday. It never got updated when it left Saleen. There are so many variables as to what you could do when doing the conversion. I'll be happy to help point you in the right direction.
Scott
Old 05-24-2005, 01:54 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (4)

I didn't read the other replies, but if you were to do this, a 94/95 GT/Cobra donor car would make your life a hella lot easier.

Honk if Parts Fall Off

JasonWeg@comcast.net

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonweg/index.htm
Old 05-24-2005, 08:52 AM   #27

It will,but you have to swap everything! Thats a big job. Also, you won't get it to pass emissions anywhere that requires it. You may live in a non emissions testing area now, but in a few years who knows. I ran into this when doing a swap a few years ago. I live in an area that changed and it hits me every year!
Old 05-26-2005, 08:03 AM   #28

So the speedo and tach don't run off the factory computer? Maybe it's only the V8 cars that do? I know that is one of the reasons they're having a hard time making an AEM specifically for these cars. Same problem with LS1 Camaros/Firebirds.
'65 FB

Old 05-26-2005, 11:57 AM   #29

Quote:
So the speedo and tach don't run off the factory computer? Maybe it's only the V8 cars that do?
Are you referring to the V6? The 01 V6's have a electronic speedo (w/o a speedo gear), and computer supplied tach.
Old 05-26-2005, 01:57 PM   #30

Okay, now we're getting somewhere... Is that the first year they did that? Or are '99 and '00 also like that?
'65 FB

Old 05-26-2005, 05:08 PM   #31

Quote:
Okay, now we're getting somewhere... Is that the first year they did that? Or are '99 and '00 also like that?
Yes, 99-04's. 94-98's have the traditional speedo gear with an electronic VSS.
Old 05-30-2005, 03:48 PM   #32

Do V6 cars have smaller brakes?
'65 FB

Sponsored Links
Advertisement