Car wont start after driving 4 a while.. HELP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2005, 03:42 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (8)

Question Car wont start after driving 4 a while.. HELP

I have a 1989 mustang with HCI and an MSD 6al and the car is carburated (I dont know if this info will help).When the car is cold the car starts right up. But after I drive it or its been running for a while when I go to start it The starter just spins and wont engage the flywheel is what it sounds like. If this is happening what would cause this problem??? Is the starter getting to hot from the longtube headers and then wont engage??? At 1st i thought it was the starter but then i switched it out with another one and the same thing happened. What can I do to fix this? Any input would be greatly Appreciated. Thanks Dave
331 Probe Stroker Kit, Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads, Holley Systemax Intake, Kirban AFPR, BBK LT, BBK H-Pipe, Flows Dumped,5 Speed Trans, 2001 Black Leather Seats, MM Subframes, 17x9 Polished 03 Cobra Wheels, MT Drag Radials
TWSTDGT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2005, 03:55 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

You can try to make a heat shield. Most of the time when the starter is getting too hot, it will sound like a dead battery.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:40 PM   #3

It does sound like your starter is heat soaking. Try a heat shield, or different starter. Pa Performance, I think that is who it is, makes a starter that is supposed to work regardless of heat soak.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:30 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (10)

I had that same problem after I put longtubes on-replaced the stocker with a mini and havent run into any problems as of yet
90lx coupe, 347 stroker -10.1 , P/P tw heads, tf trackheat, mild comp cam ,1.6rr, bbk l/t, bassani O/R X/catback, tko500, 80mm proM, 75mm t/b, 30lb inj, AFM powerpipe, 255 intank pump, msd dist. accel coil, sct chip-, 355 gears, mm upper/lowers, accel 300+ignition, welds.

(I missed the big 1 by 1 number)
Old 03-31-2005, 09:58 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (17)

yah before i read anything i was goin to ask u if u had long tubes, but i guesse u do, my bet is the starter. before u do anything though, one sure way to pin point the problem is to drive your car around for a while then drive to a gas station and then shut off your car, try to start it back up and if it doesnt start, go inside and by a bottle of cold water, pop your hood and just poor it all over the starter. now, once the bottle is empty, go back inside and see if the car starts, if the car starts up that that meens the starter is heat soaked, but if it doesnt start then u have other issues. my friends car did the same thing and he would always be pooring water on it to get it to start again until he finally decided to get a heat shield. header wrap also works good but i doubt that u would want to take your headers off now. thats why im wrapping my long tubes up while my cars still apart
Old 04-01-2005, 12:53 AM   #6

go to any auto store and ask them to test your battery/altenator. My car had the same problem, i replaced the battery, then the starter, found out after that it was the altenator all along
Old 04-01-2005, 01:58 AM   #7

Thanks for all the replies guys. The weird thing is even when the car is hot and I put another starter on that hasnt been on the car the same problem occurs. It sounds like the starter is just spinning inside and not engaging the flywheel. So I had some buddies give me a push start. and it makes the same metal ratteling sound when the car is at idle and whenever i rev it up. So i dont know what else to check unless i have two bum starters. Cause i have a brand new 130 amp alternator, Optima red top battery. I checked the battery ground. It could be the Starter Solenoid or the wire from the starter to the solenoid, or the starter itself. Any more suggestions would be great
Thanks Dave
331 Probe Stroker Kit, Trickflow Twisted Wedge Heads, Holley Systemax Intake, Kirban AFPR, BBK LT, BBK H-Pipe, Flows Dumped,5 Speed Trans, 2001 Black Leather Seats, MM Subframes, 17x9 Polished 03 Cobra Wheels, MT Drag Radials
TWSTDGT
Old 04-01-2005, 08:52 AM   #8

Is your starter a direct bolt on replacement? If not, you have to make sure it is shimmed right, to engage the flywheel.
Old 04-01-2005, 11:13 PM   #9

i had this problem before, check your engine ground and make sure hat your wires are not corroded inside.
Old 04-02-2005, 01:30 AM   #10

Thumbs down

Thanks guys for all the post. I found out what the problem was. I took off the starter after buying a new one and a new starter solenoid and new starter wire. I found out that the teeth on the flywheel seperated from the flywheel itself?????? It is really rediculous so when i go to start the car the starter just spins the teeth of the flywheel and not the entire flywheel. So I have to get a new flywheel I guess. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??? Thanks again for all the post guys

Dave
TWSTDGT
Old 04-02-2005, 03:00 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (10)

The teeth on my flywheel is all one solid piece your should be the same.I have never seen a 2 piece flywheel.Maybe the teeth are just ground down
90lx coupe, 347 stroker -10.1 , P/P tw heads, tf trackheat, mild comp cam ,1.6rr, bbk l/t, bassani O/R X/catback, tko500, 80mm proM, 75mm t/b, 30lb inj, AFM powerpipe, 255 intank pump, msd dist. accel coil, sct chip-, 355 gears, mm upper/lowers, accel 300+ignition, welds.

(I missed the big 1 by 1 number)
Old 04-02-2005, 09:27 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhman73085
Thanks guys for all the post. I found out what the problem was. I took off the starter after buying a new one and a new starter solenoid and new starter wire. I found out that the teeth on the flywheel seperated from the flywheel itself?????? It is really rediculous so when i go to start the car the starter just spins the teeth of the flywheel and not the entire flywheel. So I have to get a new flywheel I guess. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??? Thanks again for all the post guys

Dave
thats weird
Old 04-02-2005, 03:09 PM   #13

no on the flywheel the two pieces are seperate the outer ring is welded to the other part. So they are two sepreate pieces I just dont know how they would have come apart. Oh well i need a new flywheel either way. Thanks for all the help
Dave
TWSTDGT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement