how to make a 302 Boss ?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2005, 08:20 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question how to make a 302 Boss ??

I need to know EVERYTHING involved to make a 302 Boss engine... From bottom to top... so much out there and need to find the best combo for ME..lol.. any help would be greatly appreciated.. Thanks in advanced Guys..
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-24-2005, 08:50 PM   #2

anyone????????
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 PM   #3

I do not know what you really want.

....there is only one real boss 302 engine.........all the rest are FAKE.

I have owned / raced probably over a dozen of them....

and still have a couple of the originals.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #4

i want to make one... 302 boss , i need to know how to make one.. i know i start with the 302 block..lol any in fo from you would be great.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:16 PM   #5

are you willing to look and find and PAY for only the original factory parts......???

what is the reason and purpose....?
Old 03-24-2005, 09:17 PM   #6

just want one , no specific reason, cant cost too much to build one
Old 03-24-2005, 09:23 PM   #7

a legit and serial numbered engine out of a real car is well over 10 thousand dollars...

a legit collector that has a legit original car will need the legit serial numbered engine....

if you want a COPY,

then it can be made up from an original factory "service" boss block, but it will NOT have serial numbers on it...and we would use cleveland heads.....
but it will LOOK the same on the outside,

but part numbers would never be correct.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoso1
cant cost too much to build one

That is, as long as its a fake Boss 302.

Beware of leftist/liberals/democrats posing as Americans.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:32 PM   #9

a FAKE is easy to make.

there is even a well known shop that advertises that they "add on" the screw in freeze plugs, to make a stock late model junk block "LOOK" like a Boss 302....
on the outside....

....but it is nothing but fake junk.

please explain what you really need to do with the engine....

we can make it any way that you need.
Old 03-24-2005, 09:52 PM   #10

I was told to add this , add that , and I could have a 302 boss clone.. dont want the real thing. just exploring my options..just wanted to know what it takes (parts) to build one.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:47 AM   #11

Trader Feedback: (7)

I had a complete boss 302 I gave away about 3 months ago for 5k all serial numbers matched and everything. And that was with it needing to be rebuilt. With the mods in your sig I would think you would have a basis knowledge of ford motors ect... With that said I would think you would know how big of a turd the motor was, I mean the only thing its good for is a collector car that has matching numbers if you want a good combo why not use a dart block with a stroker kit, and some afr's and it will be a whole lot better than the boss is imo and a lot cheeper too.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:39 AM   #12

A dart block with ported CHI 3v's will hold it's own against any AFR headed motor, so the Boss style motor can be a bad ass, but it is expensive.

A stock windsor has poor flowing heads, so it isn't all that great without porting or new heads.

The boss/cleveland has the opposite problem, the heads flow very well but the ports are too large and the low end torque sucks.

It's not fair to compare 30+ years old stock heads to new CNC ported AFR heads.

If it's a junkyard build with a stock 2 bolt 302 or 351 block, the Clevor is a proven performer, especially if you can get a set of small valve closed chamber Australian Cleveland heads.

The only problem is that the heads will flow enough air to make power at very high rpm's. If you are not careful it will make more power than a stock 302 block can handle.

I say go for it. If you can do it cheap, it will be cool even if it doesn't last very long.
Old 03-25-2005, 02:58 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (4)

But what the hell would you use for an intake on something like that, wouldn't the spread be weird?
Old 03-25-2005, 02:59 AM   #14

fomogo , i do have knowledge for ford motors , but the boss 302 ive never looked into or read up on due to it not being a popular horse motor.. but its something I wanna try out possibly
The Fool , thats all i want to know , I dont care to have a original boss 302 matched numbers engine , i want to build something like a jy boss but not exactly a jy. I need to know what kinda heads can be used (dont care if there the original numbers) just need to know what parts are needed to work..I dont know guys, maybe the boss 302 isnt the way for me.. I just wanted something different for a new combo.. Thanks
Old 03-25-2005, 03:02 AM   #15

You need Cleveland heads, a 302 block with the wacky boss pistons due to the massive valves on the cleveland heads. Then, you need the BOSS cam (I have no CLUE what that is) a BOSS intake (they have a weird size I think) and a whole lotta carb, I think a 650 Holley or something. Its a pretty crazy setup.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:20 AM   #16

I think that any cam will work. P/V clearance might be an issue, but that's normal with any engine.

I see aftermarket boss intakes on ebay all the time. They are tall race style intakes, but it's a Boss, are you going to run a dual plane intake?

The pistons are the major expense. Everything else is cheap, scroungable or easily modified.

The pistons might be cheap if you can use a Nascar piston. A lot of the teams sell their unused parts. Usually they are oddball parts with undersized wrist pins and wacky compression heights. Sometimes you get lucky. If the current Yates head (Cleveland style) has the valve angles close to a production Cleveland head, and you find a set with the right compression height, you might be able to make a long rod or stroker Boss with off the shelf parts.

You just have to do the research on all of the possible combinations and see which parts you can come up with.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:20 AM   #17

ty man, what about crank? intake? boring? hey where you from in ontario?
Old 03-25-2005, 03:22 AM   #18

the fool, where can i find more info on the build up and parts? ive looked around and cant find anything..
Old 03-25-2005, 03:34 AM   #19

I'm from PTBO The crank is just a 302 crank, albeit, it was a better crank than what you'll find at the wreckers, the intake I believe is a boss-specific part, might find on E-Bay. No additional bore or stroke is needed, its a 302.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:40 AM   #20

I would do a google search for clevor.

It's an 8.2" deck block. You just have to figure out how to fill it up. You can do a normal combination like a 302, 331, 347. The pistons will be different, otherwise it's pretty much any other 302 shortblock. I think the cooling passages in the heads need to be modified. The Boss intake will bolt up. The push rods will be different, the rocker arms must be Cleveland style. I'm not sure if they use guide plates.

It's just a mix of Cleveland and Windsor parts. It's not terribly complicated.

I know that there are several cylinder heads that will not work well because of their combustion chamber and port size, so choose wisely.

For better tech, try MPG heads. They just made a 410 in^3 Boss with CHI heads in an 8.2" deck Dart block (4.250" bore!). If they can stuff 410 inches in to an 8.2" deck block, your junk yard Boss will be a cake walk for them.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:09 AM   #21

ty guys...
Old 03-25-2005, 04:28 AM   #22
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

I'm seriously lost.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:12 AM   #23

For the Clevor route you can use off the shelf TRW Boss 302 pistons and/or 289/Boss 302 length rods.
Stock block needs some holes drilled and the Boss or cleavland heads need some water modifications. Head gaskets are available from Ford.
B&A made intake manifolds called Street Boss or Track Boss for both 8.2 and 9.5 deck windsor blocks. They also sold special hyperutectic pistons for a stock 5.09 length 302 rod.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 AM   #24

thanks..
Old 03-25-2005, 04:26 PM   #25

Seriously...boss mills didn't put out that much power. If all you want is the power then buy or find for free a 302 block, add forged pistons a crank and rods, a pair of good heads and a cam...you'll have more power than a boss for a lot less. Otherwise all you'll have is a mild hp clevor headed 302...NOT a boss.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:40 PM   #26

There are some new cleavland style heads now from down under and with a big bore dart block with a 3.4 crank? I'm thinking some big hp could be made. Plus just the Boss 302 valve covers look cool. Tell the world it is an old school Boss 302 and kick ass with a 360 ci, Dart based clevor.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:49 PM   #27

Why would anyone care, if it's in a fox body or capri? Besides...not hard to tell al heads from stock 302 heads.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:58 PM   #28

Funny you should ask. I built my 302 clevor for a 70 bronco with a toploader 4spd. I had a blast with the truck. I told everyone it was a factory Boss Bronco. Some people just like to be different.
Old 03-25-2005, 05:12 PM   #29

i dont want it for the all out power cause we all know theres power but not enough to bragg about.. I want to build for the motor, Boss replica ..fake, whatever.. even if it doesnt have alot of power it will when i add my tt setup to it, or if i decide to go single.

ADMINS, close this thread please!! lol
Old 03-25-2005, 07:07 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baghdaddy
Funny you should ask. I built my 302 clevor for a 70 bronco with a toploader 4spd. I had a blast with the truck. I told everyone it was a factory Boss Bronco. Some people just like to be different.

What's just as good is the fact that my fastback is a boss clone (was painted/ striped before I got it), so now that's going to be the EB's theme...gonna add the boss stripes and such too.

^Why should they close the thread?
Old 03-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #31
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Wanna be Billy baddass.... then here's how ya do it.

Start with this

Bore it to 4.185" and add the conventional 3.4" stroker crank. You now have an 8.5" deck 377 cu in engine. Most higher end package kits are going to suffice, although you are talking about a custom piston.

Now add something like this.

Where we are talking about 340cfm or so intake charge, and a nice 80% exhaust.

Apply a reasonable cam,

Viola,... Nothing like a little 700hp (302) boss ford.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:03 PM   #32

Kim,

I'm a Boss newbie...What are the exact names of the parts you pictured? A 302 w/ 377 cu/in would be bad-arse!
It's EVIL!!! And Yeah, It's faster than your LT1.
Old 03-25-2005, 09:16 PM   #33

i said to close it cause it seemed people were not that interested in helping me but liked to argue what sucked and what was better.. then you guys came along and started giving stuff.. SO. ADMINs please keep thread open.lol , thanks for the info ppl, keep it coming..
Old 03-25-2005, 09:30 PM   #34
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 331stroker
Kim,

I'm a Boss newbie...What are the exact names of the parts you pictured? A 302 w/ 377 cu/in would be bad-arse!

Dart block, and a pair of Yates heads. Boss valve covers would fit.. bolt wise, but the jessel rocker arms might require a taller valve cover.
Old 03-26-2005, 02:48 AM   #35
Moderator & USAF Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (5)

So are you going to build it for N/A power or turbo'd power? The engine will have to be built differently depending upon your plans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement