Oil leak has stopped! Lucas oil and 1.5oz brake fluid - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2005, 07:01 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Oil leak has stopped! Lucas oil and 1.5oz brake fluid

I finally cured my oil leak after using synthetic oil and causing several leaks. I changed the oil back to conventional oil and added 1 quart of Lucas oil stabilizer and 1.5oz of brake fluid. I ran the car for short while and dried off the oil leaks. Just checked this morning and I am absolutely amazed. The leaks have COMPLETELY stopped. Thanks for the help everyone!

***Caveat***

I do not work for Lucas oil and this was a gamble that may not work for others. However, it worked on my 7,000 original mile GT Convertible.

Cheers and Happy New Year
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2005, 11:22 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (6)

Where was it leaking oil from? I've never heard of adding brake fluid to the oil.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-01-2005, 11:33 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

Brake fluid????????
Old 01-01-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88cat
Where was it leaking oil from? I've never heard of adding brake fluid to the oil.
ive heard of adding a SMALL amount of brake fluid to the transmission to help a slipping tranny. i was going to try it in my bronco but i think the tranny is done with. but i do recommend lucas products. i used to have a 1 quart every two week leak in my broncos tranny. i put some lucas tranny additive in and it pretty much stopped the leak. i think i added one quart every 2-3 months. much better than every two weeks imo.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:10 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (105)

I would never have the Guts to add Brake fluid to my Crankcase..Maybe if it was a 1981 Toyota carolla with 524K miles..Then I would use 5 quarts of Brake fluid instead of using Oil in the Motor..
Old 01-02-2005, 12:25 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (16)

Garage
Thats an old trick that used car lots used, The brake fluid swells all the rubber seals and or gaskets and stops the leaks. The bad news is its only temporary and when the seals start leaking it will resemble old faithful, The brake fluid first swells the seals then the seal material will start to break down and leak, You have just commited yourself to replacing all seals and gaskets soon.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:13 AM   #7
Corral Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee8995
Thats an old trick that used car lots used, The brake fluid swells all the rubber seals and or gaskets and stops the leaks. The bad news is its only temporary and when the seals start leaking it will resemble old faithful, The brake fluid first swells the seals then the seal material will start to break down and leak, You have just commited yourself to replacing all seals and gaskets soon.
the only reason i considered it on my bronco was because the tranny was on its way out. i just wanted as much life out of it as i could get, but i never did put brake fluid in it. for some reason i could never bring myself to do it.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:51 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (16)

Garage
Well my advice is to not do it, If you need to rebuild your tranny or replace the seals and gaskets in your engine nothing you pour in with the oil is going to change that. It will work for a very very short while but then it will start to leak worse than you can imagine.
Old 01-02-2005, 02:19 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (4)

The exact same thing happened to me when I went from dino to synthetic. Front and rear main seals were leaking like a waterfall.

I, like you, went back to dinosaur oil, and dropped a quart of Lucas in. I didn't even need the Lucas after the first 3000 miles and oil change, she just holds herself together now on her own.

Lucas is great stuff.

Honk if Parts Fall Off

JasonWeg@comcast.net

http://home.comcast.net/~jasonweg/index.htm
Old 01-02-2005, 07:08 AM   #10

Time will tell for me. I can't see 1 cap full and a half of brake fluid, causing any of the above. I will keep everyone apprised.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:27 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (22)

7,000 mile original convertible. 1988 assuming from your user name. By now those gaskets that leaked because you say synthetic oil caused them to are dry-rotted or rotting regardless of mileage. They're old. Replace said gaskets and be done with it. Valve cover gaskets just need to come out and use a whole tube of RTV for the valve covers alone. With only 7K on the clock why even bother switching to the synthetic?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:01 PM   #12

Helmut,

I agree that they are old etc... due to the age and mileage. I just didn't want to touch the motor. Kinda anal I guess??? I am looking at an 88GT hatchback with very low miles 11,900 +/- and he says the heatercore is leaking? Is that possible with such low mileage?
Old 01-02-2005, 08:40 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (2)

all mileage means is that the car has covered distance.

There is some wear that is mileage related: tires, suspension bushings, shocks, rock chips, powertrain wear.......

You can cut down on that sort of thing by not driving it much, but you can't stop time. Engine oil breaks down, cooling system can corrode and plug, tires can dry rot if exposed to sun, oil seals will rot as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement