Anyone running the XE264HR cam? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2004, 05:01 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Post Anyone running the XE264HR cam?

I was looking into the XE264HR cam as a daily driver cam. Do any of you run this cam? How does it idle? How does it sound? Any problems with passing emissions? I was also wondering if this would be a good daily driver cam.

Last edited by Fox302DailyDriven; 12-27-2004 at 05:42 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2004, 05:11 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (7)

Subscribing...
Old 01-05-2005, 09:13 PM   #3

bump
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-06-2005, 02:53 AM   #4

Suscribing also.....anyone out there?
It ain't CID, it is Cubic Dollars.......
Old 01-06-2005, 10:40 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

would it not depend on what heads used, displacement, supporting hardware?

what if i use it, with afr 165 heads on a 408? and it passes smog, and idles with 21" vacuum..... and you want to use it on a 289, with ported afr 205 heads.....?

not trying to flame, but the question is pointless..... list your combo, and would this XXX cam be right for it?
even that is not enough info..... call cam help @ comp, you will get a better recomendation then the corral i assure you.

well, that is, unless buddy jumps in, and grills ya about the combo, intended use, gearing etc.... and actually recommends a OTS grind for ya, i have only seen it happen once.

good luck, and again, not tryin to break your balls.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:00 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (7)

nosmatt said - "would it not depend on what heads used, displacement, supporting hardware?"

My thought all along was the question was posted so he could find out just that sort of thing - how's it work with your combo. But you can't find out about the combo until/unless you get folks running the cam to come into the thread. For all we know, CompCams Help line (an oxymoron in my experience) recommended it and he's trying to talk to some other users before buying.

....and, this will bump it back up....
Old 01-06-2005, 03:09 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (4)

A friend of mine Shawn used the NX264HR in his car with "Thumper E7's" & a Tmoss ported stock lower & he loved it, had just enough thump for him. here's a quote from him...

"with thumpers heads, tmoss lower, 24#, injs on sd I ran 13.90 @ 100 mph with a 1.98 60ft on street tires... my race weight was a hefty 3800# it produces awesome low end tq and preserves the power all way thru the rpm range."
1986 Mustang GT T-Top: Stock short block,GT40P heads,Ported Explorer Intake, 75mm TB, 57# inj,Adj. Fpr,1-5/8 headers, 2-1/2" X-over, Holset HX52 Turbo,4" Downpipe , 3.27's, T5Z trans, Moates QH tuned with BE,AEM WBO2.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:48 PM   #8

I know this isnt the same cam, but I was looking into the XE264HR cam when I was replacing mine. I instead went with the NX264HR cam which is intended for nitrous. It has a wider LSA of 114* and .512/512 lift. Ive went 13.3s @ 104+mph with a 1.99 60ft in a full weight 88 Tbird with stock bottom end, boxstock windsor jrs, explorer intake, 65mm tb, shorty headers, gutted hpipe, d/m catback, stock AOD w/TCI 2800 stall, and 3.73s. Ive also gone 12.11s @114mph with a 125shot. This was untuned. Since then I have been working on a better tune. I really like the comp cams grinds, they are nite/day difference from stock cam. Just my experience.

Ronnie
Old 01-07-2005, 09:26 PM   #9

Yea, CompCams tech support isn't all that helpful when I call. But I'm planning to use them with AFR 165s with my 3.08 gears.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:14 PM   #10

Agreed! CompCams tech line is just some people sitting there reading their catalog to you over the phone. They really don't know anything. When you tell them your specs they just compare them to the info in their catalog. Anyone can do that! Waist of time IMHO.

Contact Buddy Rawls for advice.
It ain't CID, it is Cubic Dollars.......
Old 01-08-2005, 12:07 AM   #11

Yea, I will contact Buddy Rawls.
Old 01-08-2005, 06:49 AM   #12

Trader Feedback: (1)

My friend call cam help@comp and got 3 different answers on 3 different calls. That cam should be plenty streetable.
Old 01-11-2005, 04:34 PM   #13

Buddy has not replied back to me, but I am going with the Baby Crower. Thanks.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:17 AM   #14

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox302DailyDriven
Buddy has not replied back to me, but I am going with the Baby Crower. Thanks.
Well.. Appears that you are running stock heads still correct.. Buddy has made a recommendation for a camshaft that works with stock heads and an upgraded exhaust..

Quoting Buddy from the following thread: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...highlight=comp
"there is also an off the shelf COMP Hyd Roller that has like 270/270, 215/215 on a 110 that works extremely well. It was well worth the time and effort and cost."

If I were you i'd go with that. :-)

Last edited by biggeley; 01-12-2005 at 08:20 AM.
Old 01-12-2005, 08:41 AM   #15

There are 2 differant cams with that name XE264HR-12 and XE264HR-14,but anyways i'm running the XE264HR-14 with AFR185s and a GT40 intake on my speed density 351.my Lightning idles and drives just like it did with the stock cam and pulls up until i shift(Around 5300rpm).
Old 01-12-2005, 11:36 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (3)

biggeley,
i disagreed with your first post, but now that you have edited, i think i like this one alot more........

i had no idea that cam existed in an ots...at least for this guys setup, might wanna go a bit looser on the converter however....and steeper on the gears. but this one will not be too bad at all with the current setup. leave the long lsa stuff in stock headed cars for the poweradder guys, and the guys who have upgraded heads........imho.
Old 01-13-2005, 07:58 PM   #17

will the xe264 work good with afr 165's in a 5-speed car for a daily driver.( cobra intake,65mm tb, 24 lb inj., 306 shortblock)
Old 01-13-2005, 08:04 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (9)

what are the stock cam specs in the 87 - 95 5.0 mustangs anyway????
Old 01-13-2005, 08:54 PM   #19

Specs from a used HO cam read at a machine shop

Quote:
INTAKE AND EXHAUST LOBE SEPARATION ANGLE: 115.8 degrees
VALVE OVERLAP AT .050= -19.3 CRANK DEGREES

INTAKE:
valve opening: -9.6BTDC
Lobe centerline 115 degrees(ground with .8 degrees advance)
valve closure: 40.7 degrees ABDC
duration: 211 crank degrees
lobe lift .2774"
Valve lift (1.6 rocker)= .44384"
Lobe area= 21.36" degree

EXHAUST:
valve opening: 42.3 bbdc
lobe center: 116.6
valve closure:-9.6degrees
duration: 212.7 degrees crank degrees
lobe lift: .27736"
Valve lift: .44378"
lobe area= 21.45 in degree
Old 01-13-2005, 11:19 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggeley
Well.. Appears that you are running stock heads still correct.. Buddy has made a recommendation for a camshaft that works with stock heads and an upgraded exhaust..

Quoting Buddy from the following thread: http://www.corral.net/forums/showthr...highlight=comp
"there is also an off the shelf COMP Hyd Roller that has like 270/270, 215/215 on a 110 that works extremely well. It was well worth the time and effort and cost."

If I were you i'd go with that. :-)
I think I might try this out before thinking about going with the AFRs. I'm on a tight budget right now, so this might work for me. Thanks. Oh by the way, I figured this is the 270HR, part number 35-420-8.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:12 AM   #21

Trader Feedback: (1)

I think that's a much better choice.
Old 01-14-2005, 08:14 AM   #22

I was seriously considering doing the same with stock heads.. But once you figure in the price of upgrading the valvetrain, replacing seals, new gaskets, etc.. You've invested a fair amount of money into the stock setup.

To me that was too much money.. I ended up deciding that the $500 or so it would take to do the cam swap properly would be money better spend on new heads.

Admittedly I really think a combo with that cam, a stock ported lower intake, gears, and exhaust would be killer on the street. For me, I know that I would quickly want more. Then I'd be back at square one saving for new heads and camshaft..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox302DailyDriven
I think I might try this out before thinking about going with the AFRs. I'm on a tight budget right now, so this might work for me. Thanks. Oh by the way, I figured this is the 270HR, part number 35-420-8.
Old 01-17-2005, 11:21 PM   #23

I've driven cars with over 450hp and feel that I don't need that for the street. A nice 250rwhp is good enough for me and I believe that can be done with the stock stuff(ported) and a cam.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement