Strength: Hyper pistons vs. stock block - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2004, 01:18 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question Strength: Hyper pistons vs. stock block

Which would give out first when pushed to the limit? Would hypertetic (sp) pistons be able to handle as much abuse as the stock block?

I am rebuilding the motor on my car. Chances are it will be a 306 with stock rods and crank, but I need pistons. I am planning on somewhere in the 10:1's in compression and will probally spray it later. I know forged pistons are stronger but what's the point when the block is the weak link, or would it be the pistons?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2004, 01:33 AM   #2

Going through the same thing right now. I say forged my machinist says hyper. He said that since my car is mostly street that I should stick with the hyper pistons to avoid skirt failure on the forged ones. He did concur that the forged would be better in a mostly race app, but that does not apply to me. I also plan to spray a little (100 shot) and he said the hypers would be fine. I have been doing this for 10 years, him 35......so I dunno.
89 LX hatch, 10 to 1 Eagle 347 stroker, PnP'ed Twisted Wedge heads, Comp Cams XE282HR, Holley Systemax II intake, 75mm Accufab TB, 30#injectors and 77mm Pro-M MAF. FMS shorties (for now), MAC 2 1/2 dumped exhaust, T-5 with Spec Stg. 2 clutch, 4.10 gears, 5 lug conversion with Cobra front brakes and 99 Cobra 17x8's, MM SFC's

In memory of Army Spc. Derrick Lutters, KIA 5-1-05
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-11-2004, 01:43 AM   #3

How I am looking at it is that a chain is no stronger than the weakest link. It's like a forged crank in a stock block, or getting a Dart block and a cast crank. If the hypers can handle more than the stock block, then forged units are useless. Why spend extra money if I don't have to. If it detonates, instead of the hyper piston blowing a hole through it, instead I'll have a huge hole in the side of the block where the forged piston decided to make it's exit.

From what I have heard, some of the new Hypers are stonger than the forged stock pistons that are in the car now. Is this true?
Old 12-11-2004, 02:58 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

Well the ford hyper 93-95 slugs would take a good amount of punishment, but I've heard the ford's are actually better than most. The hypers will take a lot of HP as long as the tune is dead on and there is no detonation but IMO if it's a power adder motor then use forged pistons. The extra little bit of money is worth it as far as i'm concerned.

Quote:
He said that since my car is mostly street that I should stick with the hyper pistons to avoid skirt failure on the forged ones. He did concur that the forged would be better in a mostly race app, but that does not apply to me. I also plan to spray a little (100 shot) and he said the hypers would be fine. I have been doing this for 10 years, him 35......so I dunno.
I'm not sure what a street car has to do with it. up until 93 the 302's came with forged pistons from the factory. I've got a 92 with 112k on it that still runs good and strong. I've seen some places won't use hypers at all since they feel the extra couple hundred in savings won't justify the added risk. And since your looking to add a 100+ hit of juice and you may very well see some detonation if the tune is off I wouldn't use anything but forged.. But I'd ask the pro's (not the local Machine shop) what forged piston of THEIRS they would recommend for your application..

If your looking for a good set of pistons I'd consider these. http://www.coasthigh.com/Pistons/Probe/piston_cover.htm

You can read some of what Mark O'Neal (Probe, CHP) and Barry R (aka SP) has to say about it http://bbs.hardcore50.com/vbulletin/...ht=side+skirts Lots of good info here

92 Gt,

Last edited by ponyboy19; 12-11-2004 at 03:24 AM.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:16 AM   #5

Its been proven that the block is the weak point not the pistons.Dont wast your money on forge unless you are going with a Rblock or some thing.
Keep a good tune and you will not have a problem with the pistons what so ever>Hell im trying to splitt mine im shooting for over 600hp
Old 12-11-2004, 11:51 AM   #6

I went with Hypers on my rebuild
Old 12-11-2004, 06:03 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (6)

Check out http://www.turbomustangs.com/techart...stockblock.htm

That link details how and under what power levels the stock block dies. One specifially was a 93 with hyper pistons with twin T60s and running ~600rwhp and the block gave up before the pistons.

Last edited by Cld12pk2go; 12-11-2004 at 06:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 06:13 PM   #8

That site is where i have learned alot!Im looking to crack mine soon.Im at 430hp and 500trq at 8lbs looking.Going to turn it up soon.I have rebuilt the motor with stock rods and pistons.No need to pay big money until the svo block
Old 12-11-2004, 06:17 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (6)

I just rebuilt my 1990 GT engine (reused stock forged pistons) for a PTK T66 kit install. I didn't get fancy heads/intake/cam because I can split the block with the stock stuff. I did port my stock heads and intake though and advanced the cam 2°.

I think it is the cost effective way to go.

Last edited by Cld12pk2go; 12-11-2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old 12-11-2004, 07:18 PM   #10

just spend a little more money & get the forged pistons, the hypers are plenty strong but people making a crapload of power on them probebly have a really good tune. and you will not blow a hole in the side of your block from detonation, 99% of the time the block cracks right down the middle, it dosent actually "break in half". i've seen plenty of split blocks and it could happen to somone making 400hp with a bad tune & be fine for somone making 600hp with a good tune. forged slugs arnt that much anyways, if your gonna spend the cash on a rebuild get a little more insurance. and you should never break a skirt on a forged piston with a easy break in , we ran forged pistons in our 14k rpm dirtbike race motors & the ONLY time we ever broke a skirt was when we didnt let it break in. i have also seen plenty of hyper pistons break skirts ( more than likely a bad tune)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement