What could have caused my cam bearings to go bad? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2004, 04:56 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

What could have caused my cam bearings to go bad?

I was in the middle of a cam swap and noticed that my cam bearings are bad. The best way I could describe them is that they have little cracks in them. Only the first two appear to be bad. I can't really see too far back to tell. I found out you have to pull the motor to fix it, so that's what I'm going to do. Does anyone have any idea why this may have happened? The cam bearings only had maybe 12-15,000 miles on them.

I'm going to try to post a picture in a little while. I'll go snap a few and see how they turn out.

P.S. The cam bearing journals on the cam itself didn't have a scratch on them.
331 Stroker, 10.4:1 Comp., World Windsor Jr. Heads, XE282HR Cam, TFS 1.7 Rockers, Victor Jr Intake, Demon 650 Carb, MSD, 3" Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, Manual VB AOD w/Transbrake, 3200 stall, 4.10 Gear, Weld Draglites, Manual Rack, Drag Suspension, 4" Cowl Hood, Fiberglass Hatch
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2004, 05:20 PM   #2

The pictures:

331 Stroker, 10.4:1 Comp., World Windsor Jr. Heads, XE282HR Cam, TFS 1.7 Rockers, Victor Jr Intake, Demon 650 Carb, MSD, 3" Hooker Max Flow Mufflers, Manual VB AOD w/Transbrake, 3200 stall, 4.10 Gear, Weld Draglites, Manual Rack, Drag Suspension, 4" Cowl Hood, Fiberglass Hatch
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-07-2004, 06:24 PM   #3
BSL

As long as the cam's surfaces are OK, I would say the damage either happened when the cam was installed, or when it was removed. Those things usually last forever.
Its pretty easy to scratch them on the install, and not even know you did any damage.
Old 11-07-2004, 06:33 PM   #4
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Material flake, overheat, lack of oil. I wager a dry engine start up at one point,.... some rebuild/cam swap was fired up without lube/oil
Old 11-07-2004, 06:37 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (22)

Ditto what Kim said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Old 11-07-2004, 06:49 PM   #6

Hmmmm.....When I put the Cam in 2 years ago, I put lube all over the journals.

I really don't think I did the damage when pulling the cam out. I was VERY careful and pulled it out VERY slowly.

1 more thing that I maybe should have added now that some are mentioning lack of oil: What about contaminated oil? I say this because the whole reason I pulled the cam out was because the head gaskets blew and I figured while I had things that far apart, I'd put a little bit bigger cam in it. The oil has at least 1/2 quart of antifreeze in it and this was before even pulling anything apart. Could this be what wiped it out?

Maybe I should pull the motor and replace ALL of the engine bearings? (seeing as how I have to pull the motor to replace the cam bearings anyways)

Last edited by StangLX302; 11-09-2004 at 10:08 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:12 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (4)

When you pull that motor out, it is just a few steps to pull the pistons/rods to inspect the bearings. Wouldn't be cool to pull the engine twice.

2005 Pontiac GTO- Kooks longtubes
13.19 @ 110.38 with a weak 2.29 60'
Old 11-07-2004, 07:18 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (22)

I think it's termites.

Maybe a defective bearing(s)? It can happen every now and then. Has the motor ever overheated or has it been overheated repeatedly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFE
Do you want to get the bolt out, or do you want to worry about getting your skirt dirty?
Old 11-07-2004, 07:43 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (21)

I would pull that engone and check all yhe bearings. I have seen a head gasket leak antifreeze into the oil and kill more than one engine in my lifetime. You have to pull it for new cam bearings anyways.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:46 PM   #10

The engine has never even been above 200* in it's whole life. I'm for sure pulling the engine and replacing ALL of the bearings (I might even get new pistons with .030" bore job, and some better rods while I'm at it). I'm just trying to figure out why this happened so that maybe I can prevent it in the future.

Last edited by StangLX302; 11-07-2004 at 07:49 PM.
Old 11-07-2004, 07:48 PM   #11
kim

Anti freeze will etch bearing material. BUT, it typically wont cause it to flake. Unless of course the engine was pumping all coolant and NO oil..... again, we are back to an overheat of the bearing material....

Yes I would pull it down and check it out, its cheaper to check, replace bearings than pick up a broken crank off the ground...
Old 11-07-2004, 09:59 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (54)

I ruined a set of cam bearings once. My oil pressure would drop to ~10psi after 15 minutes. I pulled the engine, and when I got the timing cover off, the plate that holds the cam in, the one with the oil groove in it, had broken and fell off. Guess that caused it to not oil properly. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2004, 09:56 PM   #13

UPDATE: I'm just going to rebuild the whole darn thing. I yanked it today.

Old 11-09-2004, 10:07 PM   #14

P.S. There was more like a gallon of anti freeze in the pan!!! I pulled the oil drain plug and nothing but coolant came out for a minute!!! So, the oil pick up was submerged in nothing but coolant and was pumping straight coolant to the bearings.

Last edited by StangLX302; 11-09-2004 at 10:10 PM.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:04 PM   #15

gosh,
after someone posts 3000 times (according to your info)...

you would think that they would know that most antifreeze and or water can and will etch bearings...
Old 11-09-2004, 11:09 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
most antifreeze and or water can and will etch bearings...

I learned something new
If you never show someone how you truly feel, then they'll never truly know.
Old 11-09-2004, 11:17 PM   #17

YUP,

and it is important to get as much as possibe out when you pull a head,...
because just a little bit left in / on top of the piston will eventually seep in between the rings and when you first start it up, the antifreeze / water will ruin the oil -combustion sealing capabilities of the rings.....
worst case, it could also plop back up on top of the piston while running, and then hydraulic the cylinder....blowing out head gasket or even cracking a cylinder wall....
Old 11-10-2004, 06:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering
gosh,
after someone posts 3000 times (according to your info)...

you would think that they would know that most antifreeze and or water can and will etch bearings...
Actually, it's 6000. I lost about 3000 in the big crash a year and a half ago. So I guess I'm twice as ****ing stupid now.

Anyways. Since you ****ing know everything. Why don't you just give all of us your email address. Then, every time we need your wisdom, we'll just skip this whole Corral thing and just go straight to you. Then, we will know everything too!

If you go back and re-read the post, I didn't realize there was THAT much coolant in the antifreeze.

Oh and BTW....................

When you type......................

like this.................

it is very annoying..............................

must be some kind..................

of engineering thing.......................
Old 11-11-2004, 12:09 AM   #19
kim

I gave everyone my E mail addy many a times. But since my activity here has tapperd off the number of direct requests for information have dropped to zero.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement