Oil in Antifreeze? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2004, 10:42 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Oil in Antifreeze?

Here's my probelm. Saturday I dumped the antifreeze in my 85 GT,5-spd. and refilled it with water. My local drag strip requires no antifreeze to test and tune. Sunday I make 6 passes and call it a day. I get home I drain the water and refill the radiator with the antifreeze that I previously had drained. (The pan was cleaned before the antifreeze was drained into it). The motor was cold when I refilled the radiator. I start the motor to warm it up so the thermostat will open. When the motor warmed up I noticed what seemed like oil floating in the antifreeze. Could this be anything other then a blown head gasket? Could this be anything other then oil? Does oil float on top of antifreeze or does it foam? The car runs fine. Oil preassure is 55 psi.,(normal) and the water temp is steady at 185 degrees (also normal). Any opinions are welcome.
650 cfm Quickfuel ProVac
Bassani Equal Length

Last edited by Fishhawk; 10-05-2004 at 11:02 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-05-2004, 11:31 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhawk
Here's my probelm. Saturday I dumped the antifreeze in my 85 GT,5-spd. and refilled it with water. My local drag strip requires no antifreeze to test and tune. Sunday I make 6 passes and call it a day. I get home I drain the water and refill the radiator with the antifreeze that I previously had drained. (The pan was cleaned before the antifreeze was drained into it). The motor was cold when I refilled the radiator. I start the motor to warm it up so the thermostat will open. When the motor warmed up I noticed what seemed like oil floating in the antifreeze. Could this be anything other then a blown head gasket? Could this be anything other then oil? Does oil float on top of antifreeze or does it foam? The car runs fine. Oil preassure is 55 psi.,(normal) and the water temp is steady at 185 degrees (also normal). Any opinions are welcome.

I've had oil float on top of the antifreeze in my radiator before. Other than a head gasket, maybe your lower intake/head is not sealed? But, my guess would be the head gasket.

Dan
1995 Rio Red Cobra #2021 - SOLD
8.8:1 comp. Dart 331, Procharger D1 16psi, AFR 185, Edelbrock RPM II, custom cam, TKO, Glenns 1000hp fuel system.
627hp/565tq @ 5800rpm
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-05-2004, 12:11 PM   #3

No lower intake. Carb. car.
650 cfm Quickfuel ProVac
Bassani Equal Length
Old 10-05-2004, 12:20 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (36)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhawk
No lower intake. Carb. car.

You still have an intake thats low on the car.
Old 10-05-2004, 12:41 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (0)

It's hard to say if its actually oil or if its scale from your cooling system. Could be just scale deposits from your radiator. I would run the car at normal operating temperatures than add a bottle of cooling system flush in the radiator and drive around for like half an hour. Come back home and drain the coolant than fill it back up with plain water, drive around some more, drain, refill, drain, than replace T-Stat and add new pre-mixed coolant with a bottle of coolant additive. When you drain the old coolant, look to see if it has anything in it like oil or scale. If its scale its normal, oil means you need a new upper engine gaskets, intake and head gaskets.
Old 10-05-2004, 01:14 PM   #6

I was also thinking something along the line of scale deposits. the radiator has been drained and refilled 5 or 6 times this summer, but I have never run just plain water in it before. I'm hoping something just worked its way lose.
650 cfm Quickfuel ProVac
Bassani Equal Length
Sponsored Links
Advertisement