Best 306 c.i. kit? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2002, 12:17 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Best 306 c.i. kit?

Who makes the best quality affordable 306 cubic inch kit for a 302? I would like to keep my stock crank and go with a good set of pistons and rods to punch my motor out a bit to 306 cubic inches.Any recommendations or who to stay away from?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2002, 12:32 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

I was recently in the same boat as you. What I did was find a quality machine shop. Disassemble my motor and took them the block, crank, rods & pistons. I also bought some Ross 82006 pistons and ARP rod bolts from Summit. I took those to the machine shop too.

They are doing all the machine work on the block and turning the crank. They are also prepping and installing the ARP rod bolts onto the stock rods as well as putting the new pistons on the rods. Then everything will be balanced together (flexplate, Romac balancer, crank and the rest of the rods & pistons).

I went this route because I was able to pick my piston of choice. Also, some of these "balanced" 306 kits are not balanced with your harmonic balancer and flywheel. Unless you current crank is cracked (be sure to have it checked well) I see no reason to buy an entire kit.
1989 LX 5.0 - AFR 165 heads, FTI cam, ported Edelbrock Performer, 70mm TB, Tweecer R/T, 306 w stock crank/rods and Ross pistons, MAC 1 5/8 long tubes, Lentech Strip Terminator Lockup and 3800 stall, 3.55 gears, Zex 125 shot

Running on E85
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-07-2002, 01:21 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (0)

I used the D.S.S. 306 rotating assembly. I think they come with ARP rod bolts. The pistons come cut already and everything is balanced. I've been told that up to a 650 lift cam will clear. I haven't checked that out, but I'm running a .591 lift cam no problems.

It was $949 shipped to my door.

There are some better quality/bigger pictures at the address in my sig.

Chad
05 Hayabusa GSX1300R

Last edited by ChadTN; 03-07-2002 at 01:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement