Average cost to replace oil pan gasket AND rear main seal?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2004, 10:30 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Thumbs down Average cost to replace oil pan gasket AND rear main seal??

So, my brothers 92 LX has had an oil leak develop.. it didnt look to bad at first, but after beating on it some while trying to figure out this ****ing stuttering problem, I noticed a good amount of smoke, and a a decent sized puddle under the car where we had stopped for 2-3 minutes.

My bro had it checked out on Monday when he got an oil change, the said rear main seal, AND oil pan gasket are both leaking. Total cost to fix both of 'em: $800 ****ing dollars. Now, I'm all about doing this **** myself if at all possible, we could get into the hobby shop on base and have access to the lifts and power tools, the only thing is I nor my brother have the time for that, at least not for 2-3 weeks. If it continues to leak at this rate, thats not acceptable.

So now we need to find a shop that'll maybe do it for us.. or maybe fix the worse of the two? What are we looking at realistically here as far as cost goes?

Thanks guys..

-Ronald
Daily Driver, pile of poop
Deep Jewel Green 92 LX Notch Back
Brother's car
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2004, 12:10 AM   #2

first thing I would do is get everything really really clean and try to pin point the oil leak..if it looks like most of its spilling out from around the oil pan just change the oil pan gasket....if youve got alot of oil getting on the very rear of uor oil pan and around your bell housing and the dust cover for your trans the I would say get both done at the same time....now if it is mostly the oil pan gasket since that can be done in a couple of hours if everthing goes smooth my suggestion would be go to auto zone get yourself a fel pro ONE piece oil pan gasket .....loosen up your engine mounts and jack your engine up a good 2-3 in by putting a block of wood and a jack under the dampner..then undo all your oil pan bolts remove the old gasket and clean alll the mating surfaces real well then manuver your new gasket into place ( one piece gasket set includes four plastic studs which screw in where the 4 larger corner bolts are and hold the gasket and the oil pan in place which makes life MUCH easier) thread your bolts back in then torque all the smaller bolts down to 8 ft pounds and the 4 larger corner bolts down to 12 ft pounds...then go around once more and retorque everything to the same specs....do NOT over torque....if its both or your rear main seal your gonna have to pull the trans and do alot more work in the process so then you might be better off looking for someone who will give you a price thats just a little lower than that but also still do the job correctly...
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-21-2004, 09:51 AM   #3

Thats cool.. from all I've read it is a pain in the ass, but it doesn't seem too bad.. but, like I said.. the biggest problem is time, and how little of it we actually have.

I think I'd like to have another shop look at it and run their diagnosis on it.. if they're BOTH leaking.. I want to know which ones the worst, so we can get that fixed.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:11 AM   #4
Dac

Your talking about a huge pain in the ass.

If you need a clutch you might as well add it to the cost of the process, because you need to take the tranny out to do the rear main seal.

Also if your going to change the oil pan gasket (Which requires lifting the engine a good 4" to clear the K-Frame), you also better change the oil pump.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:19 AM   #5

Thing is, if we DID do it ourselves, rear main + new clutch kit = still less than the money the shop wants to do it for.. and that ****ing pan gaskets like 25 bucks. $25 part, $475 labor. ****.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement