GT40P Headers & what fits !!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2004, 05:16 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Exclamation GT40P Headers & what fits !!!

I've been looking for a concrete answer in reference to finding a header in 1 5/8"that fits an 86-93 5.0L mustang with GT40P heads. I've come up with some info that you fellow drivers of these cars will appreciate.. I've personally through time have found that the shorty headers listed below fit with the mentioned results:

Motorsport-no problems high in cost
MAC shorty Part # E500940- do not fit GT40P, plugs touch the headers on #3 and #7 and come very close to the other plugs.
MAC GT40P specific shorties-fit great ceramic only $300
BBK Shorty- fit decent need to utilize 90 degree plug wires and #7 may still get burnt.
All equal length shorties have to many issues to list. If you want to go with equal length shorties you need to look harder a long tubes.

Long Tubes:
MAC long tube headers part # TF92016- fit great in 1 5/8"as far as plug clearance is concerned. It may be a good idea to install a pair of new motor mounts to aid in clearing the steering shaft (yours have begun to sag if they are original) They also come in ceramic through MAC for $60.00 more than their shortie made specifically for the GT40P $365.00 and come with copper gaskets, fit great and sound killer w/ prochamber. My car is running with them I will get pics soon. CCM claims that their long tubes are made by MAC for them and only they sell GT40P long tubes...BS I found out that they sell the same MAC long tubes you can get anywhere because they don't need to be made different and charge $40 more on average. That not true with CCM's shorty headers they are made for the GT40P head by MAC and are a good deal.
BBK long tubes- same problems as their shorty version its as if all they did was extend the header tubes of their shorty header to come up with a long tube design
Flowtech- are for penny pinchers and are harder to come by...I've bought 2 pairs for various cars and both sets were starting to rust in the box...Didn't even consider for the install.

If you have any questions go ahead and ask away. All long tubes are more labor intense, but being patient and having a good buddy to help makes for a happy camper when you turn the key.
Thanks Robb
www.robbt44x1@aol.com
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-17-2004, 07:09 PM   #2

I have the P heads and made the investment in the Motorsport P specific headers. I must say I am VERY glad I did. My cousin went the "cheap" route and tried to make a set of MAC shorties fit...and they flow like absolute CRAP.

FWIW I would say spend the extra $100 and purchase the FMS P specific headers....if you want to stay with the shorties.

Thanks for putting all this together...I am sure many people here will find it invauable in the future.

Full Ported and Polished GT-40 Ps, Fully Ported Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm Throttle Body, FMS GT-40 P Headers, FMS 1.6 rr, TFS Stage I Cam, 76mm C&L Mass Air, Full Exhaust, FMS Aluminum Drive Shaft, Holden Racing T-5, etc...

Suspension:
5 lug 4 wheel disc brakes, SN 95 Brake Conversion w/ 99+ PBR Calipers, JBA Dominator Springs, BBK Subframe connectors, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Hotchkis Upper & Lower Control Arms, etc..

284.32 RWHP and 331.1 RWTQ
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-17-2004, 11:31 PM   #3

I like having a 1 piece flange on my FMS P shorties... dont the BBKs and MAC's all have cut flanges? I heard horror stories about people taking them off and having to stand on crow bars to get them back on
87GT, T-tops, 72K, 302cu, GT-40P heads, EH'd Cobra upper, Fox-lake Stage 3 lower, 24#rs, 70mm PRO-M MAF, 65mm TB, Scorpion 1.6" RR, F-303 cam, GT-40P headers, Dr. Gas X, Spintech sportsmans, Tremec 3550, Spec 1 clutch, 3.90 gears, MAF/A9L, 16x8 ROH Snyper
HP-266.5 TQ-286
87GT.com-->Possessor of the Corral's best pic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pottus
All hail Tiresmoke.....
Old 05-18-2004, 08:06 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by TireSmoke
I like having a 1 piece flange on my FMS P shorties... dont the BBKs and MAC's all have cut flanges? I heard horror stories about people taking them off and having to stand on crow bars to get them back on
I had to do just that before my motor swap. I had MAC shorty headers on my stock heads. I purchased them used and had to use a 3 foot (no I am not kidding) pry bar to get the tubes in the right location.

Full Ported and Polished GT-40 Ps, Fully Ported Cobra Intake, FMS 65mm Throttle Body, FMS GT-40 P Headers, FMS 1.6 rr, TFS Stage I Cam, 76mm C&L Mass Air, Full Exhaust, FMS Aluminum Drive Shaft, Holden Racing T-5, etc...

Suspension:
5 lug 4 wheel disc brakes, SN 95 Brake Conversion w/ 99+ PBR Calipers, JBA Dominator Springs, BBK Subframe connectors, BBK Strut Tower Brace, Hotchkis Upper & Lower Control Arms, etc..

284.32 RWHP and 331.1 RWTQ
Old 05-18-2004, 11:23 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (2)

Very good info, i've been worried whether my mac longtubes will fit or not... im curious if anyone has tried the mac AOD specific longtubes with gt40ps...
Old 05-18-2004, 01:41 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (42)

I got MAC P shorties as part of a P head, header + Scorpion deal. I fit the headers to the heads and they were off, so I broke out the carbide bit and elongated the mounting flange holes before sending them off to Jet-Hot. They went on with minor problems and actually quieted the dreaded 2,000 rpm drone of my Flowmaster 2-chambers.
88GT Vert 5spd 3:73,Crower 15511 @ 109,70mm MAF w/19# injs,70mm TB,GT40P 1.85/1.55,Jet-Hot P headers, H pipe w/dumped Flows (no more drone),Holley SMII intake.www.fastlanecars.comhttp://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/

Last edited by tmoss; 05-24-2004 at 08:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2004, 06:59 PM   #7

Complete MAC longtube, off-road h-pipe, mufflers and taiilpipes. I've had them 4 years, fit was excellent and even my GM freinds complement the way it sounds. I used the copper exhaust gaskets, no problems. I used plug wire protectors from NAPA on #3 and #4 cyl.
Old 05-23-2004, 02:01 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
I had MAC shorty headers on my stock heads. I purchased them used and had to use a 3 foot (no I am not kidding) pry bar to get the tubes in the right location.
Wow - I would have to cut and weld before resorting to such drastic methods!!

Glad you got them on, though......

1997 GT 5-speed with 97 Mark VIII engine swap
Old 05-23-2004, 03:45 PM   #9

Tip: Summit longtubes are the same as the Flowtechs (come w/ flowtech instructions in the box) and are an even cheaper $80.

Absolute BEST fit, as far as plug clearance, on the GT40P is the Dynomax 3/4 length shorty. It's only downsides are it's 1.5" primaries and the 3-bolt collector and mid-length which require either a custom or mod'd H pipe.

BBK 1 3/4" longtubes fit better than the 1 5/8"s. They're probably #2 as far as plug clearance. VERY nice fit.

I run the FRPP shorties. One of the best fitting headers I've ever bought.
replaced: '01 Cobra 'vert
Old 06-17-2004, 12:16 AM   #10

do you know the summit part number I need some bad
Old 06-17-2004, 07:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by alienninja
do you know the summit part number I need some bad
For which header?
Old 06-17-2004, 10:14 PM   #12

well...let me tell my gt-40p header story....first off I decided to call central coast and see what the deal is with the gt-40p long tubes they sell made by mac "exclusively" for them...I talk to some sales guy over there he tells me these fit great and he has never had one complaint about them ( I believed the b.s. like a dumb ass) so I send his ass 500 bucks for the long tubes and a shorty h pipe I tell him I need to get my motor running and so he tells me he is going to have them drop shipped from west palm so I can have them in two days...so I wait two days then three then four and finally decide to call the ******** to see whats going on...I talk to the same guy he says they shouldve arrived and that he will call me to find out whats going on...get a call back a few hours later and he feeds me some b.s. about they shipped them to another john hinton in california....shouldve cancelled it right then and there but I decided to let it ride...two more days go by and the headers finally arrive....I get ready to drop the engine in ive got the headers in place lower the engine and these p.o.s. headers are completly up against my steering shaft...try shifting everything around nothing so I figure ill get the engine in place and go from there...get the engine down loosen the mounts up enough so I can jack the engine up 4-5 inches get the passenger side in with alot of effort and the damn thing is sitting about 1/2 in from my starter....then I go over to the drivers side this damn p.o.s. will NOT go into place for **** so I completly unbolt the engine lift up more and manage to get it to squeeze in drop it back down and of course this thing is still smashed up against my steering shaft no way would my car be drivable like that....so I call the ******** tell them the headers wont fit and of course whats the first thing they do they blame everything but the headers " we have never heard of anything life this happening I dont understand ive sold hundreds of these without any complaints you must not be installing them correctly or there is something wrong with your car" they suggested I have them professionally installed and pretty much implied that im incompetent....never have I been so insulted by a company in my life...so they tell me theyll take them back but they have to charge me a restocking fee if theres any damage and I have to ship them all the way over to california....so now I have to pay 70 dollars to ship them back to those bastards....never again will I buy ANYTHING from those P.O.S. ******** over at central coast mustang...those headers ended up costing me over a hunderd dollars and cost me about 10-15 hours of my time....instead of the macs I ended up getting frpp shorties from summit (arrived exactly when they were supposed to) which fit like an absolute dream and they look pretty damn good too....sorry for ranting
Old 06-17-2004, 10:27 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (6)

I just got a set of FRPP Ceramics for $200 off of ebay. Showed up today and they look sweet. I figure the extra price is worth it to not have any aggravation when dealing with them. Everything I have heard about them is that they are great. I'll know in a few weeks.
GT40P heads, 1.6 roller rockers, TFS stage 1 cam, TFS Trackheat intake, FRPP headers, BBK o/r x pipe, Magnaflow catback, 70mm Accufab TB, 76mm C&L, Taurus fan, 4.10s, shift kit, MM LCAs and a TFS nitrous kit jetted for 100

2003 Azure Blue Mach 1

1965 Mustang Convertible

1965 Mustang Fastback
Old 06-17-2004, 11:20 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally posted by TireSmoke

My BBK 1 5/8 longtubes have a one piece flange.

My old macs had the split flange and they were a PITA. not to mention someone mangled them to fit an auto!!!!ARRRRGHHH

I haven't run them with the p heads, but my buddy has 1 3/4 BBK LT on P heads without any problmes.

Thanks for puttin this together. There are more and more people doing the "budget swap" everyday. Afterall it is hard to beat the performance for the dollar.
Old 06-18-2004, 09:17 AM   #15

85Mustanggt.........those longtubes are just standard MAC longtubes. There is no P-fit longtube that I've ever been aware of. It could be, if you have old motor mounts, that your clearance issues were caused there. Old mounts let the motor sit low in the chassis and commonly cause steering shaft issues. Jacking the motor is a must-do w/ the BBK and MACs. the summit, flowtech, and slip fit hookers can be installed w/out removing the steering shaft or jacking the motor up.
Old 06-18-2004, 11:32 AM   #16

P headers on GT40P heads look like this

Vortech SC trim, AFM Powerpipe, GT40p heads, 1.6 FMS RR, Pro-M 80mm, 24# injectors w/8:1 FMU, Cobra intake, FMS ceramic headers, high flow H-pipe, Flowmasters, subframes, FMS 65mm tb, 93 Cobra rear disk conversion, 01 Bullitt full suspension kit, FMS alum. drivershaft, cobra upper control arms, 3.55 FMS gears, Moser axles, MSD 6BTM, Mark VIII fan w/DC controller, Autometer: oil, fuel & boost guages, AEM WB 02 sensor, ROH ZS 17" w/Nitto 555

Lots of evil black rifles and ammo!
Old 06-23-2004, 05:40 PM   #17

Thos are some sweet looking headers, I need to get me a set.
Old 06-23-2004, 08:41 PM   #18

I shoulda got the ceramic coated. those are nice!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:46 PM   #19

You guys can always get yours Jet-Hot coated
88GT Vert 5spd 3:73,Crower 15511 @ 109,70mm MAF w/19# injs,70mm TB,GT40P 1.85/1.55,Jet-Hot P headers, H pipe w/dumped Flows (no more drone),Holley SMII intake.www.fastlanecars.comhttp://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Old 06-24-2004, 01:28 AM   #20

How much is it to get them jet-hot coated? Will jet-hot coating work on older headers that have begun to rust?
Old 06-24-2004, 08:02 AM   #21

http://www.jet-hot.com/
Old 06-24-2004, 02:34 PM   #22

I have regular mac longtube headers mated with a pro chamber on my p heads and it fits fine. I have 4 90 degree spark plug wires so they clear. Also, it easier to unbolt the headers on the drivers side to get the spark plugs out then to leave the header attatched and trying to work around it. I already had them so I didn't want to buy another set of headers and I'm happy with how they fit. My friend also has p heads and mac longtube headers. His fit better than mine do. On my drivers side headers all of my tubes go on one side of the stearing shaft. On my friends car the headers tubes split the steering shaft. 2 tubes go on each side of the shaft. He had to grind the steering shaft so it didn't rub, but he has muc better spark plug access then I do. Supposedly we both have mac longtubes, but the are a little different. I know mine are like 3-4 years old and his are brand new, maybe the changed the design or something. But both will work.
Brent
Old 06-24-2004, 02:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally posted by tmoss
You guys can always get yours Jet-Hot coated
I've considered that as we have local powder coater that can do ceramic coating.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:48 PM   #24
Corral Elite Member

Has anyone tried Hooker headers with the "P" heads? I have never seen this combo mentioned anywhere.

1984 SVO – Faster than the Pace Car
1979 Indy 500 Pace Car - Ported GT40P heads, Crane 1.6 Roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, MSD 6A, Holley 650 4150 carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, FRPP Shorty "P" headers, Dr Gas X-pipe, Flowmasters, 8.8/3.55s, FMS springs, Megabite control arms.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:03 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally posted by motorcitymustang
85Mustanggt.........those longtubes are just standard MAC longtubes. There is no P-fit longtube that I've ever been aware of. It could be, if you have old motor mounts, that your clearance issues were caused there. Old mounts let the motor sit low in the chassis and commonly cause steering shaft issues. Jacking the motor is a must-do w/ the BBK and MACs. the summit, flowtech, and slip fit hookers can be installed w/out removing the steering shaft or jacking the motor up.
the motor mounts ive got are brand new ones for a 92 vert....those bastards over at central coast are a bunch of liars and cheats then and I wouls strongly recommend that NO one ever buy anything from them.....
Old 06-28-2004, 11:20 AM   #26

what is the part number for the summit long tubes?
Old 07-20-2004, 04:20 AM   #27

Trader Feedback: (49)

has anyone used pace setter shorty's on p heads
"The sound is unnatural and not of this world, like a screeching velociraptor with the flames of hell licking it's ass"
Old 07-20-2004, 07:08 AM   #28
Corral Elite Member

If you are going to use shorty headers you are better off getting the FRPP headers since they are made specifically for the P's; unless you already have the pace setters.

1984 SVO – Faster than the Pace Car
1979 Indy 500 Pace Car - Ported GT40P heads, Crane 1.6 Roller rockers, TFS Stage 1 cam, MSD 6A, Holley 650 4150 carb, Edelbrock Performer RPM intake, FRPP Shorty "P" headers, Dr Gas X-pipe, Flowmasters, 8.8/3.55s, FMS springs, Megabite control arms.
Old 07-20-2004, 10:55 AM   #29

Hooker shorties or longtubes Guy? One p/n of the hooker longtube looks exactly like the Summit but heavier guage mat'l. I think one of the guys on the carbedMustang list knows of someone using the hooker shorties but I'll have to verify that.

summit headers:

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...N=120%20301734

went to their webpage and typed "header longtube mustang" in the search box.

No data on the Pace Setter's.
Old 02-05-2007, 07:58 PM   #30

Trader Feedback: (3)

GT40 P headers

Ok I am STUCK so to speak having to use an old 92 GT 302 temporarily while finances get up enought to complete my 331 stroker. I have already bought a set of heads with 2.02x1.6 valves intended for my stroker engine. Now I must resort to running a mild 5.0 but my 2.02 valves willnot fit ont he factory pistons. I have found a good deal on a set of 93 Cobra heads complete with rockers and all, and also a set of GT 40 P's which I know are going to give me a headache with headers. I have full length headers with off road x pipe intended for my car. The headers are new bought from Ebay I believe them to be FlowTech by SUMMIT, part number appears to be SUM-G90301 the G is barely legible and may be wrong. Also the 1 is semi cutoff the label and also may not be correct but I think that is the number on the box from Summit. Any info on a set of long tube headers that will work on the P head will be beneficial to me as I know nothing of them, intended to use World heads, but cant find a set in right price range. Thanks all
Old 02-05-2007, 10:16 PM   #31

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaze14us View Post
Ok I am STUCK so to speak having to use an old 92 GT 302 temporarily while finances get up enought to complete my 331 stroker. I have already bought a set of heads with 2.02x1.6 valves intended for my stroker engine. Now I must resort to running a mild 5.0 but my 2.02 valves willnot fit ont he factory pistons. I have found a good deal on a set of 93 Cobra heads complete with rockers and all, and also a set of GT 40 P's which I know are going to give me a headache with headers. I have full length headers with off road x pipe intended for my car. The headers are new bought from Ebay I believe them to be FlowTech by SUMMIT, part number appears to be SUM-G90301 the G is barely legible and may be wrong. Also the 1 is semi cutoff the label and also may not be correct but I think that is the number on the box from Summit. Any info on a set of long tube headers that will work on the P head will be beneficial to me as I know nothing of them, intended to use World heads, but cant find a set in right price range. Thanks all

i would just get the 93 cobra heads for now with everything other wise with GT40p you will need some new headers
2008 Shelby GT500, 2921 out of 6513 coupes, 132 of 314 Alloy Metallic, Shelby Dash Plaque, FRPP CAI,KR shifter,SVT handling pack,373,TVS, J&M UCA, J&M Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Power House 4" A/D, Custom o/r H, DynoMax 3in CB, Shelby HE/RAD 592RWHP/576TQ
Old 02-06-2007, 01:50 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbT44x1 View Post
I've been looking for a concrete answer in reference to finding a header in 1 5/8"that fits an 86-93 5.0L mustang with GT40P heads. I've come up with some info that you fellow drivers of these cars will appreciate.. I've personally through time have found that the shorty headers listed below fit with the mentioned results:

Motorsport-no problems high in cost
MAC shorty Part # E500940- do not fit GT40P, plugs touch the headers on #3 and #7 and come very close to the other plugs.
MAC GT40P specific shorties-fit great ceramic only $300
BBK Shorty- fit decent need to utilize 90 degree plug wires and #7 may still get burnt.
All equal length shorties have to many issues to list. If you want to go with equal length shorties you need to look harder a long tubes.
In my opinion, the Ford headers are the only way to go if a person plans shorty headers, GT40P or otherwise. They fit like a factory part and are made of much better materials and look much nicer than the MAC junk. I cannot believe that MAC has not pulled their head out of their ass yet and updated all of their headers with one-piece flanges. Some 10 years ago I helped a friend wrestle a set of MAC headers back on and I'd sooner throw them on the ground and piss on them before I'd attempt to re-installed a used set again. In fact, some time later I was doing a shortblock swap for a guy and told him I would NOT put the MAC headers back on his car and made him order brand new BBK shorties. He couldn't have paid me enough to mess with those MAC p.o.s.'s.

Oh, and where you say that Ford headers are pricey and MAC's are only $300 new with ceramic finish, I paid $315 for new ceramic Ford GT40P headers just two months ago from Summitt. Just an FYI.

FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS BUY MAC.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:02 AM   #33

Trader Feedback: (20)

The FMS shorties are excellent quality. I wish I did not sell mine a year ago.

When I first started out in this hobby, I let some a$$hat at MAC convince me to buy 1.5" equal length without a flange and with there super durable "HTS" coating that preserves the headers, UNTIL YOU START THE CAR.

Keep in mind this was 10 years ago and I knew very little about cars then. The equal length headers were a nightmare to install and the primaries came far too close to the stock wires for comfort.

I removed the headers once, and tried to reinstall them again... Ya right. Required a Mother Fing crowbar to straighten those damn tubes so they would bolt in place.

I have been playing with these cars and buying aftermarket parts for over 10years now. MAC is by far the worst aftermarket company I have ever dealt with.

FUKC YOU MAC
Old 02-06-2007, 06:19 AM   #34

Trader Feedback: (20)

Just an FYI-flipped stock shorties work great with GT40P heads in a DIY twin turbo application. Need 90 degree plug wires tho.
Erich
Old 02-06-2007, 10:27 AM   #35

Trader Feedback: (4)

I dont have much input on the headers, but i do have some input on Mac. I wrote a very well written email asking if they sold just a 3" tailpipe, rather than paying for a full catback just to use the tailpipe. The reply i got was:

"We don’t make a 3” tailpipe only systems."

Youd think their "tech staff" could at least write a proper sentence.

Yes, I love thunderbirds. I am enlightened.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement