Gap for Spark Plugs??? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2004, 04:56 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question Gap for Spark Plugs???

I just picked up some NGK plugs (PN 6630) for my car. The guy at the shop said to set 'em at .045. Here's the engine details:

'91 302 (of course)
Stock lower end
Stock heads
Cobra Intake
B-Cam
24# injectors
65mm TB
75mm MAF
Underdrive Pullies
AFPR
CAI
MSD Cap/Rotor
FRPP 9mm Wires

Any other suggestions, or does .045 sound about right? Thanks for any advice!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2004, 06:58 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

I've always (only) run Autolites and gap them at the recommended .054. The .045 the guy at the shop mentioned might be what NGK recommends with your application, but you should be able to verify this on NGK's web site.

Also, if you don't mind experimenting, you could try different gaps and see what works best with your combo.

Hope this helps.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-21-2004, 08:41 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (11)

I always thought that you can open your gap up to .060 when you run an MSD ign,Boy was i wrong.I lot horsepower with a gap that wide so i regapped them down to .045 and it picked me right back up.So with that thought a .045 gap should do it.

Darrin Carter...C&C Motorsports..chicago/michigan.

NMRA P/S 5006

With Help From:

FTI
HarlandSharp
Whites pit's stop.
CenterForce Clutches.
JPC Racing.
AXLES ETC..Lansing, Ill
Moving Solutions..Belmont Mi.
SuttonHP..Matteson,Ill
Liss CarStar collision Center..crown point Ind.
PakMan MotorSports Inc, LockPort, Ill
Pro-Systems Carburetors..Spring Lake, Mi
Denso Iridium spark plugs.
Old 01-21-2004, 10:43 PM   #4

I just checked NGK's site and it says to set it at .054 gap. Is anyone running NGK plugs? What do you have your set at?
Old 01-21-2004, 11:05 PM   #5

I don't run NGK(NOT FOR AMERICAN CARS) I run autolite plugs and have them gapped at .045 now.

NMRA P/S 5006

With Help From:

FTI
HarlandSharp
Whites pit's stop.
CenterForce Clutches.
JPC Racing.
AXLES ETC..Lansing, Ill
SuttonHP..Matteson,Ill
Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM   #6

NGK plugs

if that was true then why does my American gt-40 cast head only take the NGK-55R? If there is an autolite plug that will work please tell me the number because a stock 5.0 head wont fit it.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:57 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

quickstang91, if you're referring to FRPP iron GT-40 (not the P) heads, the Autolite part number that will work is 764.

You can also cross reference that with Motorcraft part # AWSF32C.

I ran GT-40 irons for about 4 years and always (well, almost always) ran Autolite 764s. They're tough to beat.

Spark plugs for stock 5.0 HO heads won't work because the threads aren't long enough. Been there, done that.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-23-2004, 01:57 PM   #8

to help you decide:

aftermarket ignitions usually say up to ~.060 with an otherwise stock motor.
higher compression kills the spark plugs ability to do its job, ie if you have a higher than stock c/r you won't be able to run as much gap.
~.045 - ~.054 seems like a pretty fair place to start. i was running ~.069 (from memory) at one point but it caused a slight miss at idle which in turn hurt emmissions. then i gave her a quick tune up and brought the gap down to ~.064 and she now runs like a champ.

-steve

Last edited by 89coupe; 01-23-2004 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-23-2004, 04:55 PM   #9

i've read all the above posts. All sound like good suggestions. What should I set the gap at on my Autolite Platinums with a 10.5 c/r. Thanks for the advice/help.
95 GT, 347 stroker, AFR 185 heads, TFS cam, Prof. Products upper and lower intakes, PP throttle body, Pro-M MAM, 30lb injectors, Aeromotive Fuel Rail kit, Ford Racing pullies, plug wires and chrome valve covers, MSD dist., coil, and 6AL box, Canton oil system, Fluidyne radiator, BBK fuel pump, Autologic chip, MAC headers, CAI, and strut tower brace, 3.55 gear in an Auburn rearend, Eibach Sportline springs, KYB shocks and struts, O/R X-pipe, Flowmaster mufflers
Old 01-23-2004, 05:39 PM   #10

Re: NGK plugs

Quote:
Originally posted by quickstang91
if that was true then why does my American gt-40 cast head only take the NGK-55R? If there is an autolite plug that will work please tell me the number because a stock 5.0 head wont fit it.

Sounds like the fella at your local parts store are all import boys and what to promote that plug....Thats just like a GM guy running ford motorcraft plugs in his motor because they make them for that car Bottom line: run motorcraft or autolite plugs in your car .

NMRA P/S 5006

With Help From:

FTI
HarlandSharp
Whites pit's stop.
CenterForce Clutches.
JPC Racing.
AXLES ETC..Lansing, Ill
SuttonHP..Matteson,Ill
Old 01-23-2004, 06:02 PM   #11
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Lol.....Just like anti-freeze, oil filters, engine oil, etc..... these products are allmanufactured in very few assembly plants, The variance between brand is miniscule.

The only advantage to platnium is the gap does not erode so it remains the same for a long period of time. If your using for performance...... conventional plugs and regular changes is best.

Autolite was originally a derivitave of the manufacture line assembled for ford. But it is manufactured by the same plant and is a similar product to the champion plugs. Both are made at champion labratories....

THe motorcraft plug line is only available for ford engines, in original manufacture spec.....

NGKs are as fine as any other brand, and when talking about a "race" plug, the NGKs hold up far better than the champion race plug. 5 dyno pulls, and the champion plugs were all damaged, the porcaline didn't hold up to 1100 EGT temps, and 900HP.

The NGK race plugs, cadmium coated electrodes, held up fine to 1200 RGT temps and 1020hp.... pulled em out and all was well.

As for spark plug gap. Unless the compression has increased, its forced induction, or there is an N20 plan, stock gap will net you as much hp as anything else. .045 to .054 should not have much more than 1hp change. As compression/forced induction goes up the gap has to come down. You force more "air" molecules between the center and ground electrode and that is more resistance. As resistance increases the voltage has to increase to overcome it, and the amperage drops.... so there is LESS heat available to lite the fire.

Stock ignition systems, as well as the ole 6al box on a stock coil is about 18,000 volts.

A complete MSD system engine combination will be capable (blaster coil) of 40,000 volts.... a pro-power coil.... a 7al-2 etc... is a 54,000 volt system. The more volts the ignition system pushes at the spark plug, the more resistance can be overcome without sacraficing amperage and gap.

With all that said, with almost 18-1 compression, and N2O I had to nock my 54,000 volt system down to .026" gap to keep from blowing out the spark.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement