Car won't stay running - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2003, 10:08 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Car won't stay running

When I go to start my car it turns over right away, and you can hear it start up but after a second or so, it shuts right off. So far i've changed the Fuel filter, and I just a bought a new fuel pump which I am gonna replace soon, but does anybody else know what could be causing this, or has this happened to anybody else before.

The day it happened, the car started up fine in the morning, then I drove it down the street for about 10 min, went up the street to talk to somebody, and as I was leaving my car was hesitating to start, then it died. We found out that the problem with that was my power cable going to my starter had a bad ground, so we fixed that problem, but as i mentioned before, now when I start the car, it turns over fine but doesn't stay started and shuts right off as if it's bogging out.

And there is gas in the car ...so if anybody knows what could be causing this problem just let me know.

Thanks
~Aaron
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2003, 10:50 PM   #2

check the small wire coming off the batt- going to the computer

04 GT stock AT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-08-2003, 11:21 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (8)

try holding the clutch in, or take it out of gear ---duhh

busten chops whats up bro call me
370/375 at 2950 lbs
Old 04-09-2003, 11:31 AM   #4

Anybody with any other suggestions?....this is killing me

Thanks
~Aaron
Old 04-09-2003, 11:44 AM   #5

need a little more than it turns over, are you getting spark, do you hear you injectors firing when you key is turned to the on position, whats you fp, does the car sound like its going to start or does it just crank ?

you might want to look at your tfi module
Old 04-09-2003, 11:54 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally posted by jiml@SF
need a little more than it turns over, are you getting spark, do you hear you injectors firing when you key is turned to the on position, whats you fp, does the car sound like its going to start or does it just crank ?

you might want to look at your tfi module
I do have spark....i was told that my fp is crappy....not getting what i should...and the car does start up but for only a second or two then just bogs out and shuts off

i'm going to change the fuel pump as soon as i have time, becuase the only thing i can think of is that the car isn't getting enough fuel to stay running
Old 04-09-2003, 11:57 AM   #7

you might not have enough pressure to fire the injectors, if you have a gauge you should be between 27-30lbs on the rails
Old 04-09-2003, 10:47 PM   #8

Thumbs down

buy a new car
Old 04-09-2003, 10:50 PM   #9

Aaron i'm only joking, i'll help you thisweekend. i think its your fuel pump.
Old 04-09-2003, 11:36 PM   #10

its your pump.. mine did the same thing drove to work and when i go to leave at the end of the day i get about 150 yds downt the road and sputter with no gas...
Old 04-10-2003, 07:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally posted by Greg Lawrence
its your pump.. mine did the same thing drove to work and when i go to leave at the end of the day i get about 150 yds downt the road and sputter with no gas...
When your pump was done for.....what did your car do when you tried to start it...did it start up and bogg out...or did it not start at all?

Thanks
~Aaron
Old 04-13-2003, 09:16 AM   #12

ok...well i changed the fuel pump and the fuel sending unit....and the car still doesn't stay running.......now me and some people are thinking that it's the module on the ignition......but does anybody have any other ideas?

Thanks
~Aaron
Old 04-13-2003, 10:06 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (2)

could be fpr, see if you can keep it running w/carb and choke cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement