lets play a game. How much HP do you think this setup will make? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AlexLTDLX

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 09:21 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
lets play a game. How much HP do you think this setup will make?

Hey guys I was wondering how much power you think my setup will make? Stock bottom end explorer 302
-edelbrock rpm heads 190cc intake runner vol, 60cc combustion chamber vol.
-edelbrock rpm air gap intake
-Rollin Thunder Cam 235/238 Duration at .5, 573/582 lift, 112 lobe separation
-FiTech Go EFI 4
-BBK shortie headers
-and probably gonna buy scorpion 1.6 rockers
Don't be too hard on me please haha.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 PM

300-325HP
With that camshaft you're gonna need BIG compression to get the most out of that engine. You won't have 9:1 CR...even if its zero decked.
Compression is power. Get those heads milled or bigger pistons.
6sally6

post #3 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 10:41 PM Thread Starter

Good to know! Thanks! Do you have any recommendations for high compression pistons. Also what ratio do you think i should shoot for?

post #4 of 11 Old 06-11-2017, 11:37 PM

Trader Feedback: (7)
I'd say the bigger issue is the cam is huge relative to the intake and heads. The intake will be more of a restriction than the heads. Honestly, I'd just put a milder cam in it - it will probably run faster. The Lunati 51014 would be a great match to that setup.

If I was you, I'd take it to the track and run it so you have a baseline. Practically any reasonable change you make will show a significant improvement, and a bad day at the track beats a good day not at the track. Or something like that.

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #5 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 12:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input! Ok since you say the intake will be more of a restriction, do you think i should port the intake, or possibly the intake and the heads? I ordered these parts as a package so they are on their way as we speak. I am very new to this whole v8 thing, unfortunately. I was into 4cyl turbo setups before
post #6 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 12:24 AM

It's the wrong intake design for that cam. On a 302 with that cam you'd want a single plane intake; but then the heads will be the restriction. What is the intended use for the car?

AlexLTDLX

'84 LTD LX - 9.83 at 140.09. Whippled 365 SBF with a glide and 3.08 gears. Driven to and from the track 60 miles without even changing tire pressure.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 12:36 AM Thread Starter

It's going to be in a 240sx as a drift car. I bought the damn package because the dude said those parts would make me around 380 hp or higher........ Guess i got suckered. Thats allot of ####in money to get screwed out of >
post #8 of 11 Old 06-12-2017, 06:43 AM

Well, you have a number of options. You can sell it all off and put an LS motor in it (cheap, ubiquitous and a junkyard long block can hit 400+ hp with just a cam swap), or you can work with what you've got. I'd limit the stock explorer short block to 6,500 rpm. Towards that end, for now keep the other parts, sell off the cam (it's going to be tricky to make it driveable anyway), and pick up something better suited - a split duration cam in the 220-225 intake and a bit more on the exhaust at .050. I would stay away from cams with steep lobes - hard on the valvetrain, and the performance seems no better than (if not slightly worse) than more conventional cams.

Such cams are plentiful in the classifieds. 380 hp shouldn't be too difficult to hit with your other parts. I'd bet you'd break even on the cams financially.
vinnybiz likes this.

AlexLTDLX

post #9 of 11 Old 06-15-2017, 12:30 PM Thread Starter

BUMP! Great input so far, let's get some more opinions in here!
post #10 of 11 Old 06-17-2017, 08:25 PM

I took my 89 to the Dyno. For a $100 I got three pulls and found out how much i was making. FWIW

Black 89 GT Hatch Back. 5 Speed 150K miles TrickFlow Heads F303 Cam TrickFlow intake VS-1 Vortech Supercharger MSD 6AL Stock Block Chassis Dyno at Texas Speed and Performance 602HP 627TQ at the wheel.
post #11 of 11 Old 06-18-2017, 09:30 AM

Trader Feedback: (1)
I disagree , the Air Gap intake makes power. Looks like a good combo but CR needs to be at least 10:1 with that cam. I'm guessing 320hp rwhp.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement