Need help locating an oil leak... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Need help locating an oil leak...

Getting ready for my first track day Friday, I changed the tranny fluid and adjusted the pressure plate last night and took it for a spin. I got on it real hard, shifting around 6600-6800 through all 4 gears. When I got home I popped the hood and saw oil sprayed all over the passenger fender, hood, side of motor... I didn't have a lot of time to diagnose the issue because it was late. Where are some good places to start looking? I run 2 breathers dumped into the exhaust,

TIA

351W, top loader,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 08:18 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
Look for the origin of the oil leak. Valve covers just above the headers is a common location. By routing your breathers to the exhaust, you may have introduced a backpressure into the oiling system that forces oil out. Hard to say without knowing your exhaust setup but, For Example, if your exhaust has mufflers and you routed the breathers between the engine and mufflers, there will be some backpressure in the exhaust, which will force its way back through your breathers into the valve covers. this is likely enough to make it puke.

If your exhaust is truly free flowing (like running open headers), you shouldn't have much backpressure if at all, so the theory doesn't work here.

post #3 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
Look for the origin of the oil leak. Valve covers just above the headers is a common location. By routing your breathers to the exhaust, you may have introduced a backpressure into the oiling system that forces oil out. Hard to say without knowing your exhaust setup but, For Example, if your exhaust has mufflers and you routed the breathers between the engine and mufflers, there will be some backpressure in the exhaust, which will force its way back through your breathers into the valve covers. this is likely enough to make it puke.

If your exhaust is truly free flowing (like running open headers), you shouldn't have much backpressure if at all, so the theory doesn't work here.

Makes sense... I am currently running an X-Pipe with 2 flowmasters turned down. When I originally got the car a few months back it had some straight through glass packs on it and I never had an oil leak issue. They were just so damn loud I had to change them. Car has been on and off the road a lot lately so I haven't had a lot of time behind the wheel because I have constantly been repairing one thing or another.

I guess I can either go back to the super loud exhaust or remove the oil breather lines.

any other suggestions

post #4 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 10:14 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Put some jones straight through mufflers on it. Cheap, a lot quieter than glass packs maybe even flows and they are straigh through so minimal pressure.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 10:41 AM

Trader Feedback: (4)
I'd clean the oil up, remove the breather lines from exhaust, and make another hit down the road. see what happens
post #6 of 6 Old 05-18-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0thunder View Post
I'd clean the oil up, remove the breather lines from exhaust, and make another hit down the road. see what happens
Sounds like a plan. I have to figure out how to cap the connections at the header that the lines go to...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement