331 List with questions - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mark O'Neal

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 PM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
331 List with questions

Ok Gents I'm going to go ahead after I get my garage done, I'm just going to do a 331. I've decided that I'm going to climb up the ladder in HP and since I want a few different cars set up different ways mechanically as well as cosmetically, I'm going to do the 331 first. I'll likely end up with 3 cars, last one being the Termi. Just a nice weekend driving streetcar for this setup

Going to re-use more than likely:

Edel performer rpm 2
TF 170's
24 lb injectors
75 mm maf
oem dizzy
shorty headers
x pipe
cold air pipe

Talking to builder last night, this is the list we came up with:

Scat 3.250 crank with 5.4 rod
Scat I beam rods

different set of polylocks for the 1.6 FR roller rockers ( Had the rockers since about 04. In 2014 and with limited miles put on since then, took heads to shop and had new springs, locks, and retainers put on due to a broken spring on no. 2 cylinder.) Just texted him as to rather new polylocks would be necessary

pistons ( he mentioned last night which ones)
6 qt Canton more than likely
28 oz balancer ( he mentioned a fluid would be excellent but just looked up prices so might not get one
custom grind cam that he will do
ARP main studs
157 or 164 T 28 oz flywheel????

I guess other things needed would be an oil pump
what else am I missing?

Labor he said would be anywhere from $7-1400 but probably more in the middle.

Anything else I'm missing or need to know, enlighten me.

95 v6 converted GT/Saleen. Ed per RPM 2, Special custom grind cam courtesy of Shaun Harrelson, TF Heads, 24 lb inj, 75 MM MA, 70 TB, Mac Shorties, Basani X, 2 cha flows. Tuned in 2014 with Chris Tuton. Much much more than what's listed here.(Wrecked in the rear and up for sale)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-18-2017, 09:14 PM

Trader Feedback: (3)
You're missing the perfect cam to really wake up your combination:

B303.

post #3 of 20 Old 04-18-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjb302ho View Post
You're missing the perfect cam to really wake up your combination:

B303.
He's going to custom grind one

95 v6 converted GT/Saleen. Ed per RPM 2, Special custom grind cam courtesy of Shaun Harrelson, TF Heads, 24 lb inj, 75 MM MA, 70 TB, Mac Shorties, Basani X, 2 cha flows. Tuned in 2014 with Chris Tuton. Much much more than what's listed here.(Wrecked in the rear and up for sale)

post #4 of 20 Old 04-18-2017, 11:03 PM
rob

Trader Feedback: (17)
for virtually the same money I would go with a 347 over a 331.

1982 Ford Fairmont Futura H/C/I, fuel injected and turbocharged 10.67@128
post #5 of 20 Old 04-18-2017, 11:07 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
for virtually the same money I would go with a 347 over a 331.
yeah but then to take advantage of the 347 it would be beneficial to get different heads correct? I'm more along the lines thinking since I'm going to end up with 2 more stangs ( another 95 with a 400 W build and a built Termi), a mild 331 would suffice. I don't need 3 radical cars lol
t

post #6 of 20 Old 04-19-2017, 09:19 AM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I am interested to see which piston you go with. I think your injectors may be a little small. What fuel pump do you have? You will always get the 331 vs 347 debate, but honestly, the heads would be fine either way. If going for bigger numbers, the 170's are small by today's standards, but will suit you fine for your purpose.

Joe
post #7 of 20 Old 04-20-2017, 04:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedFox View Post
I am interested to see which piston you go with. I think your injectors may be a little small. What fuel pump do you have? You will always get the 331 vs 347 debate, but honestly, the heads would be fine either way. If going for bigger numbers, the 170's are small by today's standards, but will suit you fine for your purpose.

Joe
hey Joe sorry I'm just now seeing this message and just noticed because I was just about to create another thread about the 1 hole pintle EV1 injector vs the 4 hole EV6. I just looked back at my emails and didn't even get a notification for it. My builder mentioned he will get a nice set of pistons and we haven't decided on one yet. Just went over the preliminary talks. Still have to get my garage done and what not. In the sense of going with the new efficient 4 hole injector, I will indeed go 30s. I will use the 255 lb hr fuel pump out of my wrecked 95.

What part of GA? I go to Augusta once a month for reserves

post #8 of 20 Old 04-20-2017, 09:08 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
I20, on the other side of ATL.

I have the scat crank and rods with probe srs pistons in a stock block. It has been a strong runner for about 6 years now. It has served me well.

GLW your build.

Joe
post #9 of 20 Old 04-24-2017, 12:08 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrokedFox View Post
I20, on the other side of ATL.

I have the scat crank and rods with probe srs pistons in a stock block. It has been a strong runner for about 6 years now. It has served me well.

GLW your build.

Joe
I saw an alert for this reply yesterday but when I clicked on it , it took me to another thread lol. Phone must have done something tricky. I went back and looked at my old email for an alert and didn't even see one either.

Cool man yeah I'm near Charleston but go to Ft. Gordon once a month for reserves. What year is your car?

I'm going to more than likely go with the EV6 4 hole 30 lb injectors and just sell the 24's probably.

As for the air pipe/tubing coming off the TB, other than an Anderson pipe and the Mac cold air kit that I have now, are there a whole lot of other choices to choose from? Mine appears to be 3 inches and I know the Anderson is 4 inches. I've seen some guys run a pipe that sits under the hood. Some had a cover over it and others had the filter bare. Not going to get an Anderson more than likely since I'm , and actually that might be the more important info that I forgot to mention. I'll likely keep the elbow setup so choices for a cold air are limited?

I'm thinking using a 70 mm tb anyway there won't be no need to upgrade to anything extreme as far as a pipe that won't mess together since it will be a 70.

post #10 of 20 Old 04-25-2017, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by from6to8 View Post
hey Joe sorry I'm just now seeing this message and just noticed because I was just about to create another thread about the 1 hole pintle EV1 injector vs the 4 hole EV6. I just looked back at my emails and didn't even get a notification for it. My builder mentioned he will get a nice set of pistons and we haven't decided on one yet. Just went over the preliminary talks. Still have to get my garage done and what not. In the sense of going with the new efficient 4 hole injector, I will indeed go 30s. I will use the 255 lb hr fuel pump out of my wrecked 95.

What part of GA? I go to Augusta once a month for reserves
What part of CHARLESTON?? I just moved from there after 40+ years.....what engine builder?!
6sally6

post #11 of 20 Old 04-25-2017, 08:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6 View Post
What part of CHARLESTON?? I just moved from there after 40+ years.....what engine builder?!
6sally6
Actually I'm in a small town 1 hr north of Charleston. Not familiar with many builders in Charleston outside of who did a friend's 408. He mentioned an old man on Rivers ave who is pretty good and another named Buddy Holton. There's a few others he mentioned also and trying to remember the names. I became familiar with a guy I met from Texas and I'm going to let him build my setups more than likely; at least the 400. As for the 331, I may go ahead and let someone from Charleston knock it out.

Who do you know as far as builders?

post #12 of 20 Old 04-25-2017, 09:12 PM

Cool........sounds like Moncks Corner!?!
I used a machine shop West of the Ashley........Simmons Balancing. A fellow named Mike there is very knowledgeable. They are slooooow as Christmas though! (maybe thorough is a better work?!)
OK Machine shop (in North Chuck) been around a while and do good work.
6sally6
post #13 of 20 Old 04-25-2017, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6sally6 View Post
Cool........sounds like Moncks Corner!?!
I used a machine shop West of the Ashley........Simmons Balancing. A fellow named Mike there is very knowledgeable. They are slooooow as Christmas though! (maybe thorough is a better work?!)
OK Machine shop (in North Chuck) been around a while and do good work.
6sally6
yeah sounds like the old man on rivers ave that my boy said was good, but slow lol. Usually slower is better; or at least should be

post #14 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 08:11 PM

Trader Feedback: (2)
For what you're doing, the Wiseco PTS512A (assuming .030 over) would be an excellent choice. Cost should be about 425.00, including the steel top ring set. Flat top will get you about 10.25:1 (There's a reason I stopped making pistons)

Motor, if he gets the cam right, and you don't need a custom, should get the 425 to 450 at the flywheel.

Should be a fun little ride.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 08:14 PM

Oh...and you'll get more torque out of the 347.
tmoss likes this.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 09:24 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark O'Neal View Post
For what you're doing, the Wiseco PTS512A (assuming .030 over) would be an excellent choice. Cost should be about 425.00, including the steel top ring set. Flat top will get you about 10.25:1 (There's a reason I stopped making pistons)

Motor, if he gets the cam right, and you don't need a custom, should get the 425 to 450 at the flywheel.

Should be a fun little ride.
OK thanks appreciate the knowledge. Those were the numbers I was thinking also. Will consider the 347. For the 331 though I'd use the heads and intake off my 302 ( TF 170s milled down some to not have to use o ring head gaskets, and performer rpm 2) wrecked car since I'm going to build 2 other cars.

How would the 16 more cubes work with those and would the 30 lb injectors be sufficient? I know guys are saying bigger heads and different intake but building 3 Cars total would allow me to just save some money and use the parts I have on the car that's wrecked especially being a weekend non track car.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 09:47 PM

Quote:
OK thanks appreciate the knowledge. Those were the numbers I was thinking also. Will consider the 347. For the 331 though I'd use the heads and intake off my 302 ( TF 170s milled down some to not have to use o ring head gaskets, and performer rpm 2) wrecked car since I'm going to build 2 other cars.

How would the 16 more cubes work with those and would the 30 lb injectors be sufficient? I know guys are saying bigger heads and different intake but building 3 Cars total would allow me to just save some money and use the parts I have on the car that's wrecked especially being a weekend non track car.
I've only been doing this for about 40 years, but I learned long about that nothing is as easy to spend than someone else' money.

It is optimal, not. Are you looking or optimal power.....no.

I did about the same motor, except 9.0:1 and Dart Windsor Jr's, that flower the same as yours. I used five different manifolds on it and never found much difference between any of them, except the Professional Products Spyder copy puked oil without two tubes of silicon. It made 410 with the lower compression. 30s will work fine, same thing I did.

You'll do just fine.

I apologize for slow responses. Every time I post, the site crashes on me.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Quote:

I've only been doing this for about 40 years, but I learned long about that nothing is as easy to spend than someone else' money.

It is optimal, not. Are you looking or optimal power.....no.

I did about the same motor, except 9.0:1 and Dart Windsor Jr's, that flower the same as yours. I used five different manifolds on it and never found much difference between any of them, except the Professional Products Spyder copy puked oil without two tubes of silicon. It made 410 with the lower compression. 30s will work fine, same thing I did.

You'll do just fine.

I apologize for slow responses. Every time I post, the site crashes on me.
It's all good I am multitasking as well. Some seem to think that the 331 will be a better weekend Street setup and mor durable.
post #19 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 10:03 PM

Quote:
It's all good I am multitasking as well. Some seem to think that the 331 will be a better weekend Street setup and mor durable.
Before I sold CHP to downsize, we were selling a few thousand rotating assemblies a year. They probably still do. All I can tell you is that we sold about 50 347s for every 331. Personally, I make the same money either way so I really don't care....but my car had a 347 in it.

Here's a rule for life from the olden days, with my personal addendum.. "There is no substitute for cubic inches" (old rule), except for looking at fat chicks (my addendum)

An engine is an air pump. The more air you get into it, and the more air you get out, the more power you can make. Now that's a simple fact, and "some people" can't change that.

Durability is a function of engine tune and use. The displacement has nothing to do with it. That's just garbage that people argue about on the interweb.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 10:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Before I sold CHP to downsize, we were selling a few thousand rotating assemblies a year. They probably still do. All I can tell you is that we sold about 50 347s for every 331. Personally, I make the same money either way so I really don't care....but my car had a 347 in it.

Here's a rule for life from the olden days, with my personal addendum.. "There is no substitute for cubic inches" (old rule), except for looking at fat chicks (my addendum)

An engine is an air pump. The more air you get into it, and the more air you get out, the more power you can make. Now that's a simple fact, and "some people" can't change that.

Durability is a function of engine tune and use. The displacement has nothing to do with it. That's just garbage that people argue about on the interweb.
Gotcha man, definitely going to consider

Sponsored Links
Advertisement