Skip White NKB Heads - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Skip White NKB Heads

I'm looking for some currant feedback on the straight plug NKB heads Skip White is marketing .. $699 isn't a bad price if they come close to advertised performance and quality .. I'm planning on using them in a 351W swap in a Fox Body and wonder how the straight plugs work with the headers along with overall quality ..
The info I have been able to dig up on the heads and Skip White has been a few years old .. And most of that was blasting Skip White instead of evaluating the heads.. I'd appreciate some hands on info or current links reviewing those heads ...
OR other ideas in comparison

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 09:19 AM
Old timer

Trader Feedback: (17)
Garage
'Caveat Emptor'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-

"Haters gonna hate 'cause they just can't replicate."
post #3 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Ed are you telling me buyer beware from experience ? If so whats the reasons ?

post #4 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 11:34 AM
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (2)
Anytime something is that cheap, corners are cut. You do get what you pay for.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.55 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.384 @ 130.75 mph with a 1.29 60'
2001 V-6 5 speed Mustang 189k miles and counting
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 325 RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #5 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 02:41 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Most of the stuff I have seen say they aren't horrible. Make sure you take them apart and have them checked by a shop.
post #6 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 03:17 PM
Corral Elite Member

And by the time you pay for that and fix any issues, you would have been better off buying something else.

1989 Saleen 414 358cid SBF 2.8L Kenne Bell S/C
26 X 8.5 Hoosier
Best 1/4 mile time 8.623 @ 159.82 mph with a 1.34 60' (5.55 1/8th at 128)
Best 1/8 mile time 5.384 @ 130.75 mph with a 1.29 60'
2001 V-6 5 speed Mustang 189k miles and counting
08' Bullitt #4097 N/A 325 RWHP <<<<<FOR SALE!
post #7 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 04:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (1)
$700? Each? Pair? Bare? Assembled?

88GT with the 5.slow
post #8 of 20 Old 04-15-2017, 04:01 PM Thread Starter

I agree .. If you have to re-engineer the heads .. It's sure not worth it .. I'd still like to hear from someone that has run those heads .. The straight in plugs were one of the strong points of the "P" heads that were on the Explorers .. Now you can't even give away P heads
post #9 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 09:10 AM

Those are Chinese castings. Anything cast in China is garbage. They have no control or care over the grade of aluminum. They can't even get good aluminum if they wanted to as someone will mix in old shoes and pots and pans and melt it all together. On top of that their machining sucks so you are much better off shopping for a set of used heads from a quality casting and then putting the work into those.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 09:58 AM Thread Starter

Going used aluminum heads is almost as much risk as going Chinese .. I do agree with you on their quality control .. But a lot of that has changed .. A lot of the U.S. controlled companies have stepped up their over seeing of the manufacturing and the products are showing it .. And mainly the exchange rate is what keeps the cost down to us ..

The main reason I'm interested in getting feedback from someone running those heads is the header clearance with the straight in plugs..
And is there anyone else building up those castings besides Skip White?

post #11 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 06:00 PM

Trader Feedback: (4)
There was a thread on this forum not too long ago.
post #12 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 07:22 PM

NKB Heads from SkipWhite in Tenn. on ebay ??

here you go. also check out flootek.com. awesome heads. I've had 3 sets. first set I put on a stock 302. with trickflow trackheat intake, mac lt headers, and the almighty B303 cam. 312/320 to the wheels on a mustang dyno.
post #13 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 07:29 PM

they aren't "straight" plugs. they have the correct angle same as stock spark plug location. I called and asked them. I had the same questions that you did....

they use complete comp cams valve train. Still worth a look.

Anybody who knocks them because of price AND who hasn't used them is just plain stupid.

Pro Comp really left a bad taste and didn't help this situation.

Stupid is spending more money than needed because someone tells you they if the aren't AFR, TRICK FLOW, or the most popular head at the moment, then they are garbage. AFR and TRICK FLOW are definitely quality pieces, but for certain builds, sometimes, they just aren't needed.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-16-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6auto View Post
Going used aluminum heads is almost as much risk as going Chinese .. I do agree with you on their quality control .. But a lot of that has changed .. A lot of the U.S. controlled companies have stepped up their over seeing of the manufacturing and the products are showing it .. And mainly the exchange rate is what keeps the cost down to us ..

The main reason I'm interested in getting feedback from someone running those heads is the header clearance with the straight in plugs..
I agree with you on this. US companies have stepped it up quite a bit. If they sell a quality head, word spreads quickly, and the more quality heads they sell and the more money is made.

Then you get your bashers who aren't selling the volume of AFR or TRICK FLOW like they used to and go and bash them over this retarded internet in order to increase sales. Truth hurts.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-17-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by c6auto View Post

I don't disagree with that statement. There are a lot of "joint venture" plants they have with decent quality control. Problem is still that unless a Western company is bringing in material from outside of China to produce the product and is in charge of the quality control it is still a crapshoot on what you get. Knowing a few people who have worked and lived there (including my father) I can tell you that their domestic product is absolutely atrocious. Few people know this but they have Walmart over there, they sell similar products as here but they fall apart even worse as they are made for their domestic market and are even worse than our Walmart. It's your money and if you want to roll the dice go for it and hopefully you get a good set.
post #16 of 20 Old 04-17-2017, 10:40 AM

my 2 cents is this. Go promaxx if you are going to go overseas. They been researched and tested and they are good heads. People have their opinions and that's fine. But they inspect and built here in the states and the quality control seems to be very good. Skip sells them and calls them better than the nkb heads. They are only a little more than the nkb and they flow better.
post #17 of 20 Old 04-20-2017, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keefallan View Post
my 2 cents is this. Go promaxx if you are going to go overseas. They been researched and tested and they are good heads. People have their opinions and that's fine. But they inspect and built here in the states and the quality control seems to be very good. Skip sells them and calls them better than the nkb heads. They are only a little more than the nkb and they flow better.

For poops and giggles I was just looking at the Skipwhite heads on fleabay. It looks like they are using ProMaxx castings and assembling, maching in house them with Comp Cam stuff
post #18 of 20 Old 04-21-2017, 05:53 AM

Garage
I stuck a set on temporary to use while my 205 CNC TFS were out. They ran the same, made 1000 or so with a T4 midframe turbo. After maybe 100 or 150 runs they started eating up valve seats, but this was at 25 psi boost and 60 psi hot side pressure and 7500 RPM. I think they are good head for a budget build.

89 LX. 363, single turbo S482 FMW, Super Vic EFI, Fox Lake Stage III heads, solid roller, glide. Holley HP EFI. (combo varies)
post #19 of 20 Old 04-22-2017, 08:56 PM

I won't hesitate to use them on my sons cars that I'm gonna have to build for them.
post #20 of 20 Old 04-26-2017, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomR View Post
I stuck a set on temporary to use while my 205 CNC TFS were out. They ran the same, made 1000 or so with a T4 midframe turbo. After maybe 100 or 150 runs they started eating up valve seats, but this was at 25 psi boost and 60 psi hot side pressure and 7500 RPM. I think they are good head for a budget build.

Time for some beryllium copper valve seats!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement