Old school parts in 5.0 roller cam motor. - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By TonyPedlow

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 03-16-2017, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Trader Feedback: (0)
Old school parts in 5.0 roller cam motor.

Hi, I have a standard 92 302 efi motor and t5. Just wondering if early model parts will work in the roller cam motor?
1978 351 Windsor heads 69cc chambers, stainless 1.9 int 1.6 exh valves, 1.6 ratio yella terra roller rockers screw in studs. They've had a lot of work done porting and polishing looks professionally done. I know about different bolt size.
Trw L2249N forged dome top Pistons. Think the standard Pistons weigh 1.3lbs and dome tops are 1.6lbs. Think compressions around 10 with the 69cc heads.
1968 conrods with big arp rod bolts and speed pro bearings.
Will all this work in the efi motor or would it be better in a early carbed motor?
If all good would it be best with explorer manifold 70mm throttle body and maf, 24lb injectors and a tune on a chip?
What sort of power would it make? What cam would be best it's a weekend streetcar.
Appreciate any help or advice thanks Tony.

midnightlaundry likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 03-17-2017, 10:00 AM

Trader Feedback: (39)
EFI or Carbed won't make a difference. You could use the 351w heads, but I'd check to see if the water coolant ports line up they may be different from the 92 block, I'm not sure. 70mm TB and 24's with a MAF for them would work. I'd check the PTV clearance to first to make sure the valves clear the piston reliefs. Then you can see with a dial indicator on the valves how much PTV clearance you have, then look for a cam. Depends on the comp ratio and what cam you get, I don't see it making over 325fwhp with those parts and even a good custom cam.

89 LX: 308, AFR 165 Ren., FTI cam W/LSX style springs, TFS Box-R w/Accufab 75mm, TKO 600/Spec Stge 3, Quicktime bell, 31 spl. Moser 5 lug 8.8 w/9" ends, AFM PP, Team Z Sus., Fluidyne rad, 2.5" Harwood , etc..
86 GT Hatch: CHP- 408w, AFR 205's, TKO 600, FAST XFI, sold 8/2013
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

06 CBR 1000RR
post #3 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 10:21 AM

They will work but make sure to install the tappets first. With the heads on you will not be able to either install or remove the roller tappets. Those heads don't have the reliefs for that. You're going to loose at least a half point of compression too. Personally I'd remove the rockers and selling the heads on CL for door stops. Put the money towards a set of GT40 heads at a minimum.

post #4 of 11 Old 03-18-2017, 03:48 PM Thread Starter

Hi Thanks very much for the replies. Looks like the parts will work then found out you can use old conrods too. Thanks for the hp figure wish it was higher. I'm using these parts because i got them cheap had them for 27yrs the heads have had a lot of work done to them but yeah I know they're not the best but I'm in New Zealand and parts are hard to get and usually expensive.
Thanks again Tony.
post #5 of 11 Old 03-19-2017, 05:13 PM

Those heads should work well. My buddy put a set of Windsor Heads on his old 302 motor with 11:1 compression, and it ran like a raped ape..
post #6 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 12:24 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
A really good port job on about any Foooord iron head with big valves can flow low 200's on intake and 150+ on exhaust. And he should ditch them for a set of GT40's that flow 180/130? Why? The probable 5cc diff (or less) in chamber size?? Stepping back to pedestal rockers? Probably not.....

Nice that the mythical power of GT40 and "P" heads helps push the price down on nicely ported E7 and earlier heads though...
post #7 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Hey thanks for your replys, guess the comps too low and they flow to much? Found the specs on the Pistons .440" solid dome, .912" pin 1.600 comp height, 8.5cc dome volume. I got 9.7.1 but I no expert is this too low? Could I use my stainless valves 1.9 1.6,roller rockers etc in some bare alloy heads 58cc standard pistons 64cc with the dome tops? Could you guys suggest good ones for 302. Thanks for the help Tony.
post #8 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 10:52 AM

Trader Feedback: (6)
I'd run what you have. D8 heads and the 2249's probably aren't the most efficient but if you have the block zero-decked and use something like the UltraSeal head gaskets @ .038...could be worse!! Your application would benefit from a custom cam. Roll that up with a Cobra/ Exploder intake and it oughta run just fine!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-20-2017, 05:57 PM

I had a 93 Cobra intake on a roller 5.0 with ported 66 289 K code head that had 1.94 and 1.56 valves in them. That motor would absolutely scream for stock parts from different years. Those old heads would likely need to be drilled for the new steam hole spot to use on the newer block.

83 Capri RS T-Top 302, Afr 195 Renegade,11.2 compression, e303 cam, TFS-R, X3Z w/Tweecer RT, T56 Magnum, 2 1/2" Pypes X pipe w/2 chamber Flowmaster mufflers.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-24-2017, 02:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replys appreciate it. Tony

post #11 of 11 Old 03-30-2017, 05:42 PM

Trader Feedback: (12)
Garage
Good point of reference. An old friend of ours used to have his own shop, who mainly specialized in building Ford race engines. He ported a set of 351 heads for my brother. Had 194/160's in them. I don't recall the flow numbers. At that time (this was early 90's) I bought a set of GT40's right over the parts counter from Ford. I had this same guy, port my heads. Stock valves. What were they, 184/154's maybe? Anyway, he was able to get quite a bit more out of mine, I remember him telling me, then he could out of the 351 heads.

FTI TFS heads/FTI cam/RPMII/QH w/ BE & EA/GUFB
www.carstereooneinc.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement