Ford Mustang Forums banner

someone help before i go crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  qkjuicedpony 
#1 ·
ok here is the deal i just built a new engine for my car it is a 10.5:1 c/r 306 with gt40 heads and an z303 cam and other small parts.my problem is this

-when i tried to start it up for the first time it would turn over and over so i thought the timing was 180 out so i re-set the timing and then i tried to start it and now all that happens is that when i turn it over it just turns and turns if i mash the gas it will backfire through the carburetor and when i left off of the ignition switch then it will backfire through the mufflers and it sounds like a bomb going off

can someone please help me this is driving me crazy

#5 ·
well i re-set the #1 piston to tdc and put the dist back in on #1 cylinder tried it and it did the same thing so i checked my firing order and i am using the firing order for a 302 ho engine from 86-93

do you think it could be in the timing set like maybe the cam gear could be off a tooth or so

#9 ·
I went thru the same thing. took me some time to figure it out, it was because I had the valves to "tight" they weren't closing all the way. That's if you have adjustable valve train. Just a guess.

#10 ·
well i don't have the adjustable valvetrain so i wouldn't guess that is my problem.however i did realize after further work that i was using the old 302 firing order and not the 302 ho one so im going to change it tommorrow and set timing again and see what happens

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.