OIL PUMP & PICK UP TUBE QUESTIONS - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2002, 10:40 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

OIL PUMP & PICK UP TUBE QUESTIONS

OK I am now installing the oil pump I have two questions

1. My friend said on the pick up tube to cut the metal on the screen side, Just cut the metal to make more of a screen to beable to pick up more oil, Is this a bad idea or a good idea?

2. Does the stop on the oil shaft go towards the oil pump or towards the distributor?

Thanks guys
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-20-2002, 10:54 PM   #2
US Air Force Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (7)

I don't really understand what your saying in #1. As for #2, the "stop" on the oil shaft goes toward the distributor.

"Think before you say something stupid"
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-20-2002, 11:12 PM   #3

Ok I have a melling HV oil pump. And a stock pickup tube, where the screen is there is only a little of it showing, and the rest is covered with metal, My friend cut the metal to expose the screen more.. Getit?
Old 11-20-2002, 11:17 PM   #4
Formerly known as dugscpe
NOTICE: THIS MEMBER HAS ISSUES WITH CLASSIFIEDS TRANSACTIONS THAT MUST BE RESOLVED.

Trader Feedback: (-6)

That's a new one. I WOULD not remove the metal. On my Canton pan and pick-up, it also has the same design as the factory piece. I am sure it is there for a reason. I just dont know why.
Doug

1.39 60ft
Best 1/4 mile time
??????
New #'s to come....but it just ran a 6.11 @99mph coasting in the 1/8

Moderator @
superchargerhelp.com
My car
Old 11-21-2002, 10:06 AM   #5

I'd cut it off... just make sure you have enough space between the pickup and the pan.. My moroso pickup didn't have it.

Michael Means"
Old 11-21-2002, 11:05 AM   #6

WEll it kind of made sense to cut it off, the way he was explaining it to me. It gives the pickup tube more room to suck the oil.. What should I cut it with? And i want to make sure there is not ANY METAL Shavings that get stuck in there
Old 11-21-2002, 11:58 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

do a search on hear about HV vs standard volume pumps, and you will probably consider the melling piece you have overkill. There are issues w/ hp loss, excessive pressures, sucking the stock pan dry.
This is not my experience, but alot of people have had alot of say on these threads.
I've never done business w/ him, but everyone speaks so highly of, it's worth mentioning that even Ed Curtis backs the stock replacement, I believe he makes a modification to it, but it's not a high volume or high pressure.

I say don't cut, and get a standard melling pump.

It's already been answered, but the reason for the lock on the drive shaft is so that when you pull your distributor out, it doesn't pull the oil pump shaft out of it's seat in the pump.
Old 11-21-2002, 12:35 PM   #8

Thanks for the comment, Though I have done alot of research on what kind of pump I should use, The HV melling is what I need. I just now need to know how to cut the metal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement