Can you bypass the heater core to avoid replacement for now? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2001, 01:53 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Question Can you bypass the heater core to avoid replacement for now?

Can I just run a hose the bypasses the heater core all together and flows back into the two lines?

I don't have the time to repair it, and I need the car as a result of it being my daily driver

please share your comments

ps. I know I've gotta change it, with winter here, but damn work and the world of OT is swamping me and I just don't have the time so I am gonna have to suffer the cold for a little bit with out heat and want to do so with out smelling antifreeze

thanks

Jim
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2001, 01:56 PM   #2

Yes, you can bypass it. If you want to do it reliably, HELP! makes a 5/8's to 3/4' hose adapter that I bought at Pep Boys. Works good, hoss.

--Ed

1991 Ford Crown Vic Ex-Police. "NTRCPTR" 460, C6 - Sounds awesome, runs like a howling dog with it's eyeballs on fire.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-13-2001, 01:57 PM   #3

just bypass it, it wont hurt anything if you can stand the cold.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:13 PM   #4
DMF

I'm still on my 2nd heater core. It lasted 3 years like the first, the went out when I was living in S.Florida so I just bypassed it.

It's 8 years later and the thing is still bypassed (although N.Georgia does get cold). But it is such a royal PITA to change them (on A/C cars) that I don't anticipate having it ever work.

Stock heater hose with band clamps works (kinda ugly) but you don't need the flow through that circuit so plugs will work too.
Old 12-13-2001, 02:49 PM   #5

Exclamation

If your car is EFI... you need to make sure you loop it at the back side of the metal tube because there is a sensor there.

When I was taught to drag race, I was taught that it's not HOW you get to end of the track... but who gets there FIRST!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement