Ran motor without oil!!!!!!!!!!!! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-10-2001, 02:32 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (2)

Exclamation Ran motor without oil!!!!!!!!!!!!

Holy Crap! I drained my oil out, filled the new filter with oil and put it on, then I got side tracked, came back and cranked the motor without any friggin oil in it. It idled for a few minutes before I realized what I'd done. It obviously was starting to make some louder valve train noise when I shut it off. I filled it with out, cranked it up and it seems to be running okay and I have oil pressure. How much damage do you think this did to my engine? It never did get hot while it was idling without oil. What an idiot!

Mike
95GT with 347 stroker, PTK single T-66 turbo kit, Greddy Profec B boost controller, 3.08's, T-56, AFR 185cc heads, Holley Systemax II intake, FTI custom turbo cam, Pro M 80, 75mm TB, 1.6 RR, Dr Gas X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback, 55 lb inj/dual 255 lph inline pumps with fuel system, Maximum Motorsports suspension, underdrive pulleys, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Tweecer RT, Romac balancer, aluminum driveshaft, Bullitt brakes, Torque thrust II's,
372.5 rwhp/ 381.9 rwtq N/A
1/4 12.74@111.18mph

Turbo numbers so far:
12 lbs bleeding down to 9 lbs of boost 517 rwhp/576 rwtq.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2001, 02:47 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

Exclamation

not sure about a few mins, but I would think it would be ok for a few seconds. I hate to admit it but I started mine once but as soon as I saw no pressure on my Autometer mechanical I shut it off, I always look at that gauge when I start it up.

Is your oil Pressure the same as it was before? Do you have a Autometer or do you use the stock gauge?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 12-10-2001, 02:48 PM   #3

If you were using good oil you probably didn't do too much..... Keep your fingers crossed....drive it & next oil change get a kit from AutoZone ( or who ever) and have it tested... It doesn't cost much & if you did bearing damage it will show in the oil.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:07 PM   #4

A friend of mine told me once about this girl he knew that hit something in the road that broke her oil pan. He said is was broken so bad no oil could have stayed in it. She drove from Greenville to Easley (about 10 miles or so, some city and highway) before she got home. The car was an Eclipse I think and nothing ever seemed to be wrong with it. I hope your car is ok like hers was.
Billy
Old 12-10-2001, 03:15 PM   #5

Most likely if you were using a decent oil to begin with its fine. Especially if it was just idling. I would worry even less if you had synthetic in it to begin with, and I still wouldn't worry anyhow. You would know if you had a real problem!
Old 12-10-2001, 03:15 PM   #6

Made three 1/4 mile runs then ran motor for about five minutes after that until I realized I had no oil pressure. Pulled motor apart two bearings were ever so slightly damaged, i still can not believe how little damage there was. Crank was like new and heads were fine.
Old 12-10-2001, 03:16 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (5)

To post the horror story of this type, a friend of mine had a 94' Jeep Wrangler. He's not very mechanically inclined and took his car to Firestone to have the oil changed prior to road trip he was taking. They drained it, put a new filter on it, put the plug back in, but, you guessed it, they neglected to put any oil in it. He got about a block to 2 blocks away before it seized. He had them come over and look and they were like, "this things bone dry!" He was like, no **** it's dry. He had them take it back over there and he went into the lobby and raised total hell. He was telling customers to get their cars and go somewhere else.

He said he wanted the engine replaced and they were like, "do you want us to swap it for you?" He said hell no, you can't even change the oil, so why in the hell would I let you change the engines? He got them to tow it to a Jeep dealership and pay for everything. Funny.

So, that happened in less than a few minutes. If yours started up and is running at the same oil pressure, you're probably ok.

Let us know how it goes.

Brian

"Hey, I'm a firm believer in the philosophy of a ruling class, especially since I rule."
Old 12-10-2001, 04:36 PM   #8

I had just finished doing my 30 minute break-in after putting in the new cam, AFR 185cc heads, and Holley intake. It had fresh Castrol GTX 10W30 in it for the 30 minute break-in, then I drained that out. I would say that it ran for 3 to 5 minutes mostly at idle. I filled it with fresh oil after the screw up, and it seemed to run pretty good. (It's running a bit rough right now after the swap still have custom chip for 24 lb injectors, now I have 36 lb inj and new MAF). I let it idle for about 5 or 10 minutes with the fresh oil in it and it had the same oil pressure as before, so hopefully it's okay. I'm going to drain that out now since it may have some debris in it and try it again....this time I will put the oil in! Different subject.... I have a custom burned chip for my old combo with the MAF and 24 lb injectors, now I've added the bigger cam, AFR 185cc heads, Holley intake, 75mm TB, and Pro M 80 with 36 lb injectors. With that old chip in there, do you think that it's running rich, lean or pretty close to ball park? Thanks!

Mike
95GT with 347 stroker, PTK single T-66 turbo kit, Greddy Profec B boost controller, 3.08's, T-56, AFR 185cc heads, Holley Systemax II intake, FTI custom turbo cam, Pro M 80, 75mm TB, 1.6 RR, Dr Gas X-pipe, Magnaflow Catback, 55 lb inj/dual 255 lph inline pumps with fuel system, Maximum Motorsports suspension, underdrive pulleys, Fluidyne aluminum radiator, Tweecer RT, Romac balancer, aluminum driveshaft, Bullitt brakes, Torque thrust II's,
1/4 12.74@111.18mph

Turbo numbers so far:
Old 12-10-2001, 04:43 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (3)

Hehe, I'm really firmiliar to this one too. I just got rebuilding my motor, let it run for 20-30 min or so before I changed the oil. Well when I was doing it, I had friends over. We started talking about something, next thing I know I"m starting up the car for them, it ran for about 20 sec or so before I noticed no oil pressure. I shut it off, and then put oil in. I can't say whether it hurt it or not, but I can say that I've got 8000 miles on it since than and it's running strong so far.
Old 12-10-2001, 05:03 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (3)

I'd pull the custom chip out and just run initial timing at 14-15 degrees and fuel pressure @ 34psi - vacuum connected. I can't see how the current custom chip you have could be anywhere close after changing the heads, cam, injectors, and MAF. Could be downright dangerous actually. Might do more damage to run the car hard with that mismatched custom chip than without oil - LOL! Good Luck.

BTW - I think your ok on the oil issue.
Old 12-10-2001, 06:21 PM   #11

It's alive!

Well, I finally got some fresh oil in there and took it out for a spin. All seems to be okay so far. I do think that it must be running pig rich with the old custom chip. It's real slugging down low, and blowing some dark smoke at WOT. I am running 14 degree initial and no pinging at all, so I think that I will try pulling the old chip and see how she likes that. I'll take a look at a spark plug just to see what it looks like. May be a bit early to show anything though. Any other opinions on the chip thing? Thanks for the input.

Mike
1/4 12.74@111.18mph

Turbo numbers so far:
Old 12-10-2001, 06:28 PM   #12

I think it would be fine. If you want to make sure, get a new fliter and cut open the one thats on it. If there was any damage, you will see it in the filter.....
Old 12-10-2001, 08:05 PM   #13

I haven't run the Mustang without any oil in it, but man... when I change the oil and go to start it up, there are those first few seconds where there is no oil pressure reading on the gauge... it's the worst few seconds in the world! I get scared as hell, I just hate hearing the motor run with no reading on the gauge! hehe

Sybersport Racing is your Full Time 5000sq/foot speed shop. Call toll free 1-866-693-4441 9am to 6pm central time

Authorized W/D for:
SPEC Clutches, Corbeau Seats, Paxton Superchargers, Procharger Superchargers, Dr. Gas Exhaust, C&L Mass Air Meters, Maximum Motorsport Suspension, Pro 5.0 Shifters
... and many more! E-mail sales@sybersport.com for special Corral pricing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement