Needing help installing 351w swap power steering bracket.. *Pix inside* - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (78)

Needing help installing 351w swap power steering bracket.. *Pix inside*

I am mocking up my power steering pump on my 408w in my fox. I have the M8511A351 swap bracket and every way I try to clock the brackets to line the bolts up nothing seems to line up. How many bolts actually go into the head? any info, pictures, ect.. would be greatly appreciated.

Tubular GT-40 Intake, Welded Ported lower, Ported GT-40 Irons, E303, Polished Vortech A-Trim, 8" Crank, UPR Boost Pipe, Ceramic BBK LT, Tremec TKO, Lakewood Blow Proof, Spec 2, Power Tower 5.0, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, 3:73, Chrome Moly Upper and Lower Control Arms, 5 Lug Rear Disc Conversion
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #2

Anybody have any ideas?
Tubular GT-40 Intake, Welded Ported lower, Ported GT-40 Irons, E303, Polished Vortech A-Trim, 8" Crank, UPR Boost Pipe, Ceramic BBK LT, Tremec TKO, Lakewood Blow Proof, Spec 2, Power Tower 5.0, FMS Aluminum Driveshaft, 3:73, Chrome Moly Upper and Lower Control Arms, 5 Lug Rear Disc Conversion
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

i'm trying to remember off the top of my head., but that aluminum bracket is the same for both 302/351w's (just the metal plate is different) anyways,i'm pretty sure at least two bolts go thru that alum piece..if you cant get it, give me a shout tomorrow,and i'll send a pic to you of how it bolts up..
Old 10-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)

That doesnt look like the correct bracket attached to the head.

looks more like this http://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-8511-a50

i had to buy that kit and the 351w bracket becasue it doesnt come with the head bracket
Old 10-12-2013, 02:31 AM   #5
ADL

Trader Feedback: (3)

You have the wrong bracket on the cylinder head. The bracket you need comes in the Ford Racing A/C delete kit for the 5.0 engine. Unfortunately, Ford has never sold it for a 351 in kit form so you're stuck buying both and having the 5.0 black steel plate left over.

The other option is to hit the classifieds and pick up the 5.0 brackets used to try and save a few bucks.
Old 10-12-2013, 11:48 AM   #6

the bracket on my head is off my 302... i never had any of the 351 brackets. so how is it the wrong one?
Old 10-12-2013, 01:00 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

Is the bracket that is bolted to the head on the right way? It doesn't look like it. The mounting bolts that go through the pump should thread into the top inside corner and lower holes of the cylinder head.
Old 10-12-2013, 01:41 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (2)

The brackets are right I think the head bracket is positioned wrong
Old 10-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #9
ADL

Quote:
Originally Posted by xalier View Post
the bracket on my head is off my 302... i never had any of the 351 brackets. so how is it the wrong one?
The cast aluminum bracket from your 302 that is currently attached to the head is the stock bracket that the back of the A/C compressor mounts to. There is a different cast aluminum bracket that attaches to the head when the A/C is deleted. The kit that FRPP makes for a 302 is identical to what Ford used when a car was ordered with the A/C deleted. The cast aluminum bracket in the 302 A/C delete kit is what is needed to eliminate the A/C compressor, relocate the P/S pump up and make everything line up with the black steel plate that attaches to the pump and water pump studs.

This is the kit. In the picture the cast aluminum bracket is clearly visible and what you need to make it work.

Ford Racing Mustang Air Conditioner (A/C Delete) Eliminator Bracket (85-93) 5.0L M-8511-A50 - LatemodelRestoration.com

To get everything you need to make the A/C delete work on a 351, you must get both the 302 A/C delete kit linked above AND the FRPP 351 conversion mounting plate, which is similar but properly made for the wider 351. That part is here:

Ford Racing Mustang Power Steering Pump Bracket Without AC (85-93) 5.8L M-8511-A351 - LatemodelRestoration.com

There is no kit form that contains both the plate and cast aluminum bracket together for a 351. Both kits must be purchased and the steel plate from the 302 kit is leftover.

Last edited by ADL; 10-12-2013 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-12-2013, 03:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADL View Post
The cast aluminum bracket on the head from your 302 is what the back of the A/C compressor mounts to. There is a different cast aluminum bracket that attaches to the head when the A/C is deleted. The kit that FRPP makes for a 302 is identical to what Ford used when a car was ordered with the A/C deleted. The cast aluminum bracket in the 302 A/C delete kit is what is needed to eliminate the A/C compressor, relocate the P/S pump up and make everything line up with the black steel plate that attaches to the pump and water pump studs.

This is the kit. In the picture the cast aluminum bracket is clearly visible and what you need to make it work.

Ford Racing Mustang Air Conditioner (A/C Delete) Eliminator Bracket (85-93) 5.0L M-8511-A50 - LatemodelRestoration.com
You are right about the cast bracket. When I put a 351W in my car it never had air conditioning so I got to reuse the power steering bracket that bolts to the head.

You could find one of these brackets in the junkyard off a Mustang that didn't have A/C.
Old 10-13-2013, 12:13 PM   #11

so i have to buy the parts in both links and use the 5.8 black plate and the 5.0 casted part and have the 5.0 black part left over? i thought that was the point of them selling the M8511A351 so you wouldnt have to buy so many..

"These Ford Racing brackets allow use of your 5.0L front end accessory drive components when swapping to a 351W (5.8L) engine. Simply replace the production bracket with the new bracket using all existing bolts and hardware. "
Old 10-13-2013, 01:15 PM   #12

Quote:
so i have to buy the parts in both links and use the 5.8 black plate and the 5.0 casted part and have the 5.0 black part left over? i thought that was the point of them selling the M8511A351 so you wouldnt have to buy so many..

"These Ford Racing brackets allow use of your 5.0L front end accessory drive components when swapping to a 351W (5.8L) engine. Simply replace the production bracket with the new bracket using all existing bolts and hardware. "
The M8511A351 bracket only works if your car never had AC, it says that right in the ad. The AC delete kit does just what it says on a 5.0 engine. Yes you need the black stamped steel M8511A351 bracket and a power steering cylinder head bracket from a non AC car. You don't have to buy the M-8511-A302 kit. Just go the the junk yard and get one off a car that doesn't have AC.
Old 10-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #13
US Army Active Duty

Trader Feedback: (17)

Flaming river manual rack and matching steering shaft.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #14
ADL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 89fast5oh View Post
The M8511A351 bracket only works if your car never had AC, it says that right in the ad. The AC delete kit does just what it says on a 5.0 engine. Yes you need the black stamped steel M8511A351 bracket and a power steering cylinder head bracket from a non AC car. You don't have to buy the M-8511-A302 kit. Just go the the junk yard and get one off a car that doesn't have AC.
I don't know what kind of junkyards you have close by but in all my years of going to them out here in SoCal I have never come across a factory A/C delete 5.0 Mustang. A very small percentage of them left the factory that way so the odds of finding one have to be slim to none.

The cast aluminum bracket in the 302 kit is identical to the factory A/C delete brackets because that's what the 302 kit is, factory parts. One way or another, that cast aluminum bracket is needed no matter where the guy gets one. He could spend a bunch of time going from junk yard to junk yard in hopes of finding a needle in a haystack or he could just order the 302 kit, use the cast aluminum bracket from it and be done with it.
Old 10-13-2013, 11:05 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADL View Post
I don't know what kind of junkyards you have close by but in all my years of going to them out here in SoCal I have never come across a factory A/C delete 5.0 Mustang. A very small percentage of them left the factory that way so the odds of finding one have to be slim to none.

The cast aluminum bracket in the 302 kit is identical to the factory A/C delete brackets because that's what the 302 kit is, factory parts. One way or another, that cast aluminum bracket is needed no matter where the guy gets one. He could spend a bunch of time going from junk yard to junk yard in hopes of finding a needle in a haystack or he could just order the 302 kit, use the cast aluminum bracket from it and be done with it.
You have never seen a Mustang, Thunderbird, or Lincoln without A/C?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (6)

Dude, you're in Canada, he's in SoCal. Finding a non-ac car around me would be tough to impossible too...

'84 LTD LX - "Hey, watch this!" - common sense delete
10.55 @ 129.34 w/1.43 60' - footbraking the AOD on small QTPs!
Old 10-14-2013, 12:12 PM   #17

I can snap a pic of what you need, don't think i'll ever delete my a/c.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:31 PM   #18

well since im going to end up spending a small chunk on different brakets. isn't there some aftermarket companies that make alot nicer billet brackets for around the same price?
Old 10-14-2013, 12:46 PM   #19

you didn't even ask?

why you spending $$$ on such a small bracket?

Do you want a bling bracket setup?
Old 10-14-2013, 04:00 PM   #20

No not bling but if I could get a cleaner setup for not that more than buying these brackets I would
Old 10-14-2013, 06:47 PM   #21

I have what you need

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #22

Nothing is cleaner than factory

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 10-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #23
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (14)

Quote:
well since im going to end up spending a small chunk on different brakets. isn't there some aftermarket companies that make alot nicer billet brackets for around the same price?
if you find something let me know. The only cheap ebay ones i found were for a 302 only.

billet ones i found on jegs/ summit were 80$+
Old 10-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #24

Trader Feedback: (8)

I have a eBay setup and it looks great for the money

http://forums.corral.net/forums/member-build-up-projects/1338346-my-1985-capri-restore-project.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement