"Different" stock intakes and there differences... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (5)

"Different" stock intakes and there differences (with pics)...

I have accumulated many different parts over the years. Intakes being no different. So, I have three intakes. They seem to be different. One is a stock 86 intake (on the car now). One is from a 93 I know. The other is from another year (which is ported, the one I am going to install).
I am removing the stock 86 intake. The big difference seems to be an extra "vacuum tap" in the bottom of the rear intake. BUT, it also seems to be the line that goes into the PCV in the back of the lower intake. The 86 doesn't have that extra "tap" in the bottom of the top of the upper intake (see pics).

The pic on the left is stock 86 intake RF-E6SE-9425-C3B
The pic on the right is stock ? year (ported) RF-E7ZE-9425-C4B
The last intake (FWIW, pic not posted) RF-F0ZE-9425-A5A

Question is, what do I have to do to make the newer intake work? Plug off the PCV port and run it exactly like it does on the 86? Or just run the newer setup? Does it make a difference? I just don't want to run into a lean condition or have a vacuum leak and have to start over.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20130708_172447.jpg (78.5 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg 20130708_172500.jpg (101.8 KB, 74 views)

2004 Marauder, black, 4.30's, Kooks headers, Magnaflow cats & Mufflers, Metco U&L's, CAI & more...

Last edited by budman5.0; 07-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2013, 06:11 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (13)

I had a 91 that ran the hose across the bottom like your pic on the right.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-08-2013, 07:42 PM   #3

I mainly want to make sure the hose routing is correct. The 86 is quite a bit different (but similiar) than the other two.

2004 Marauder, black, 4.30's, Kooks headers, Magnaflow cats & Mufflers, Metco U&L's, CAI & more...
Old 07-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (7)

Routing vacuum lines isn't particularly complex. As long as the stuff that requires vacuum is hooked to a port of similar size things should work just fine. When you're done connecting the things that need vacuum -- be sure to cap any ports that are unused. Also be sure to check and be certain that the ports you hook things to are actually open to the intake and functioning properly.

Is your lower intake ported as well?
Old 07-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
Routing vacuum lines isn't particularly complex. As long as the stuff that requires vacuum is hooked to a port of similar size things should work just fine. When you're done connecting the things that need vacuum -- be sure to cap any ports that are unused. Also be sure to check and be certain that the ports you hook things to are actually open to the intake and functioning properly.

Michael, I was mainly wondering about the PCV valve connection. The rest are similar enough to figure out. The PCV on the 86 intake (check out pics) has no provisions for the PCV port like the other intake. The 86 uses one of the capped off intake ports in the middle of the intake. The other intake(S) have a port tapped into the bottom of it and the 86 does not. I do not want to create a LEAN condition.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:07 PM   #6

Quote:
Sorry forgot to answer. YES it is ! This is the matching ported upper I am trying to install, but couldn't due to time constraints when I was putting it together (long story). Mainly, we weren't sure about the different PCV valve routing and didn't want any problems at that time.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:22 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (42)

use the newer upper and run the open "T" fitting hose to the PVC valve. Also, if you are still SD, make sure the MAP sensor is hooked to one of the dedicated lines to the upper, don't hook it up where it shares a line with the power brake booster.
88GT Vert 5spd 3:73,Crower 15511 @ 109,70mm MAF w/19# injs,70mm TB,GT40P 1.85/1.55,Jet-Hot P headers, H pipe w/dumped Flows (no more drone),Holley SMII intake.www.fastlanecars.comhttp://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Old 07-09-2013, 09:52 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoss View Post
use the newer upper and run the open "T" fitting hose to the PVC valve. Also, if you are still SD, make sure the MAP sensor is hooked to one of the dedicated lines to the upper, don't hook it up where it shares a line with the power brake booster.
tmoss, by using the "T" fitting in the bottom of the upper intake plenum, could that cause a lean condition for that cylinder (having the crankcase being vented into chamber by the last runner)?

FYI, yes, still speed density....

Old 07-09-2013, 10:15 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (8)

The vac routing on the two pictured intakes is identical with the exception of the PCV going through that T-connection. Other than that, it’s all is the same. When I put a ‘87+ upper on Tom’s ported lower – I plugged the T-connection and used my existing ’86 (long) hose straight from the intake to the PCV valve – but since you already have the T-connection hooked-up, there’s no reason not to use that – plus the “T” also doubles as a great hanger for that otherwise long hose.

Also as Tom mentioned – use the same/stock/direct-feed port location (upper right, next to the triple-manifold connection) for the MAP sensor. All will be fine!

Edit: I don't see how going throught the "T" could cause a lean-condition - the amount of vac. pull should be the same going through the T or not...

Last edited by Mark Harrell; 07-09-2013 at 10:20 AM. Reason: edit
Old 07-09-2013, 10:46 AM   #10

A dedicated port for the pressure regulator is recommended as well.

X2 - you needn't worry about a 'lean' condition. The cylinders are pulling from the common plenum -- and the system is designed for a certain amount of air coming in through the valve cover and making it's way to the intake via the PCV.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 07-09-2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old 07-09-2013, 11:41 AM   #11

Quote:
A dedicated port for the pressure regulator is recommended as well.

X2 - you needn't worry about a 'lean' condition. The cylinders are pulling from the common plenum -- and the system is designed for a certain amount of air coming in through the valve cover and making it's way to the intake via the PCV.
It just seems weird to me that if they are all pulling from the common plenum, then why wouldn't that PCV tap be more in the center of the plenum rather than on one end?
The fuel pressure regulator pulls off of one of the two small metal vacuum lines.

Old 07-09-2013, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harrell View Post
The vac routing on the two pictured intakes is identical with the exception of the PCV going through that T-connection. Other than that, it’s all is the same. When I put a ‘87+ upper on Tom’s ported lower – I plugged the T-connection and used my existing ’86 (long) hose straight from the intake to the PCV valve – but since you already have the T-connection hooked-up, there’s no reason not to use that – plus the “T” also doubles as a great hanger for that otherwise long hose.

Also as Tom mentioned – use the same/stock/direct-feed port location (upper right, next to the triple-manifold connection) for the MAP sensor. All will be fine!

Edit: I don't see how going throught the "T" could cause a lean-condition - the amount of vac. pull should be the same going through the T or not...
Mark, how did you plug the T? Cap both ends? That is what I was originally thinking. But, now, this thread is giving me more information.

Also, I put up another thread about putting in an adjustable FPR. Did you ever do that with your 86? It seems like there are more differences between these 86's than I originally would have guessed. Like, where the Schrader valve on the 86 is vs newer years.

Old 07-09-2013, 01:50 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman5.0 View Post
It just seems weird to me that if they are all pulling from the common plenum, then why wouldn't that PCV tap be more in the center of the plenum rather than on one end?
The fuel pressure regulator pulls off of one of the two small metal vacuum lines.
Since it doesn't matter where in the plenum it pulls from (vacuum is vacuum) -- the choice likely had to do with making assembly easier, shortening the amount of hose needed, etc. Probably a cost savings issue for the manufacturer. Don't overthink it.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 07-09-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:04 PM   #14

Quote:
Since it doesn't matter where in the plenum it pulls from (vacuum is vacuum) -- the choice likely had to do with making assembly easier, shortening the amount of hose needed, etc. Probably a cost savings issue for the manufacturer. Don't overthink it.
You are right. Sometimes I overthink things. But sometimes you can never be too careful!

Thanks for all ya'lls help so far!

Old 07-09-2013, 05:31 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by budman5.0 View Post
Mark, how did you plug the T? Cap both ends? That is what I was originally thinking. But, now, this thread is giving me more information.

Also, I put up another thread about putting in an adjustable FPR. Did you ever do that with your 86? It seems like there are more differences between these 86's than I originally would have guessed. Like, where the Schrader valve on the 86 is vs newer years.
Hey Bud - I unscrewed the entire T-fitting, and then used a plug like the one you see in your pic on the other end of the plenum. But again - if that's the intake you are using, like M.Y. said - use the T-fitting and it doubles as a hanger!

Yes - I have a AFPR on my '86 - a BBK unit I believe. No issues - except for the stupid location of the S-valve back there covered with wires...
Old 07-09-2013, 06:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Harrell View Post
Hey Bud - I unscrewed the entire T-fitting, and then used a plug like the one you see in your pic on the other end of the plenum. But again - if that's the intake you are using, like M.Y. said - use the T-fitting and it doubles as a hanger!
That is what I originally was thinking. I just don't want to deal with any other potential gremlins. If I can get the T and plug out without any aggravation, that is probably the route I will go. However, I am assuming the T and plug will be a bummer to try to remove. I will most likely just try it and see...

[/QUOTE]
Yes - I have a AFPR on my '86 - a BBK unit I believe. No issues - except for the stupid location of the S-valve back there covered with wires...[/QUOTE]

I guess I need to do a bit more research on this. I originally thought the AFPR would be an easy mod. No wonder the tuner guy was like YOU do it and then bring me the car....

Sponsored Links
Advertisement