MaxSpeedingRods chinese lifters - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2013, 09:38 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (11)

MaxSpeedingRods chinese lifters

A friend of mine asked me to help him to rebuild a 351w and convert it to a roller cam, but his wallet is tight and wants to save some money. So he asked me to buy some elcheapo parts, like the lifters.

Together we went on the internet and found these lifters .

They looked nice and where cheap, just what he wants for his build and they come whit 1 year waranty.

After recieving them i opend the box and found 8 pairs of lifter in plastic baggs, filled with oil. after cleaning them, i gave them a test fit.

None of did fit the 351w block, nor did they fit in my own block.

If i try to push them in the bores you can see the link bar bent.

The reason, the link bar hasn't enough travel. they are to wide or the slots to small to move.

Looking at them a bit closer reviels a few other flaws,

Take a look at the push rod cup,

I also found some metal shavings in the holes of the push rod cup.

A other problem:

There was 0.60 mm ( 0.15 inch ) play at the wheel and you have a clear look at the needles. I have a set stock roller lifters here, with 150 k miles on them, that have less play.

I not gone use these lifter, so i contacted Maxspeedrods and told them about the problems i found and showed them the pictures. They admitted that there could be batches of lifters that where faulty and not up to spec. It was a known problem.

So i asked them what to do now and i got the reply to send them back ($170 shipping at my onw cost) and they would restock them (minus 15% for fee and the shipping cost).

?? restock them?? These lifters are rubbish and should be trown away.

After that mail, i never got a response from them.

So there you have it, chinese lifters are cheap, but flawed and dont fit without modifications to the linkbar. Aftersales doesn't exsist, so its money down the drain.

As for my friends engine, well its up and running. But i had to buy a second set of lifters, this time morrels and he wasn't pleased with a higher bill. i dont know how long its gone run with elcheapo parts.

So if you wat to buy chinese lifters, think again, spend a few dollars more and buy u.s made ones.
'71 ford capri, block: Dart 427, TEA 245 CNC ported trick flow R heads, Fuel injected, bkk equal length headers, 3.5inch exhaust, flowmaster muffler's. tci c4 whit tci 2800 stall converter. 8.8 whit 3.73, weight:2450 pounds. Planned upgrades, twin turbos and converting it to 4x4 drive train.

Last edited by capri v8 driver; 01-22-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: typo
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

We purchase vacuum tubes for high power radio transmitters from China. When tubes were made in the USA, we would get an occastional bad run of tubes. All the tubes would be defective in the same way. Generally though we had a 100% good rate except for the very rare bad batch issue where all had the same problem.

When USA productions stopped and we bought Chinese tubes, tubes would not fit correctly. Dimensions were off. Failures were random and about 3 out of 4 tubes would not meet electrical specs in some way. After making tubes for 15 years, it is still about the same. We throw away 50% or more of what we buy.

I traced this problem down to how they build things. In the USA, one person or small group does the same part of assembly for the entire run. In every stage it is that way. In China, people shift around and several people will parallel build the same stage. This means the very same step can be built several ways in one batch or run of product.

This is why, when the parts spit out the end, all the parts were the same (good or bad) when made here. Failures were rare, and singular mode when they happened.

This is also why, when built in China, failures were often multiple causes and always random. One tube in a batch would have one thing wrong, and in the same batch another would be good, and another would have a different problem. Sometimes they would all have a same common problem for all, but would always have a mixture of other random failures.

I don't see why car parts would be any different, because this is QC and manufacturing method driven. I would never use a critical part from them without a lot of inspection.

Shame on the people for not refunding your full money. A restock fee is for repackaging new good parts for resale. Those parts were junk, so there is no restock unless they are going to sell someone else the bad parts you returned. They just may be doing that, because they make 15% every time they cycle back out.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-22-2013, 06:01 PM   #3

Your mate must be a moron. How much money will he be saving when the engine blows and he has to rebuild it again?

I've got a rock here that keeps away tigers, works real well cause i've never seen a tiger around here. Can you ask your friend if he'd like to buy it?
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Your mate must be a moron. How much money will he be saving when the engine blows and he has to rebuild it again?

I've got a rock here that keeps away tigers, works real well cause i've never seen a tiger around here. Can you ask your friend if he'd like to buy it?
that was uncalled for LOL maybe his friend just wanted cheaper stuff cause thats all he could afford...you get what you pay for ya know? so that was a rude reply man....
Old 01-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (8)

Tell your friend to look for parts on the corral's classified pages. I get a lot of stuff off of there for a really decent price and I always know what I'm getting because I can see the actual part before I purchase it. A used part made in the good 'ol USA is still better than a new part from that moralless ####hole.

Also, what kind of rock is this you are selling? Crack rock? Because I haven't seen a Tiger on that island in... well... ever.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:00 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I admit, it isn't smart to try to save money on high stressed parts. But for him money is tight and he did not build a race engine. I was curious about these lifters if they would be any good and how they perform. We searched for opinion or comments about these lifters and we did not found anything bad about it. Thats when we decided to give the chinese lifters a chance.

Now turned out that these lifters are crap to begin with and aftersales of maxspeedingrods turns out to be even wurse.

I wrote this article to show you what you can expect from chinese lifters from this company so others can learn from our mistakes and dont trow your hard earned money away.
'71 ford capri, block: Dart 427, TEA 245 CNC ported trick flow R heads, Fuel injected, bkk equal length headers, 3.5inch exhaust, flowmaster muffler's. tci c4 whit tci 2800 stall converter. 8.8 whit 3.73, weight:2450 pounds. Planned upgrades, twin turbos and converting it to 4x4 drive train.

Last edited by capri v8 driver; 01-23-2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:21 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri v8 driver View Post
I wrote this article to show you what you can expect from chinese lifters from this company so others can learn from our mistakes and dont trow your hard earned money away.
It is what you can expect from anything made in China. The only time I knowingly buy Chinese crap is when the American made version is so over priced that it's just ridiculous. Critical parts like engine parts are always American made, regardless of the cost.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:28 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (12)

Please, I hope this doesn't offend, I'm trying to help your friend.

I cannot understand the logic (if it can be called that) of using parts that could very well, and probably will, destroy the engine. At the very least, it could have a short life or burn oil, depending on what other inferior parts were used.

Using the above example of vacuum tubes, you can throw them away, and be disgusted. When ONE cheap part lets go in an engine, it takes out all of the time and money invested in the entire project!

Your pictures don't show anything that isn't expected from Chinese junk. If I were him, I'd be embarrassed to admit that I used it.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:44 AM   #9

Trader Feedback: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedThrills View Post
Please, I hope this doesn't offend, I'm trying to help your friend.

I cannot understand the logic (if it can be called that) of using parts that could very well, and probably will, destroy the engine. At the very least, it could have a short life or burn oil, depending on what other inferior parts were used.

Using the above example of vacuum tubes, you can throw them away, and be disgusted. When ONE cheap part lets go in an engine, it takes out all of the time and money invested in the entire project!

Your pictures don't show anything that isn't expected from Chinese junk. If I were him, I'd be embarrassed to admit that I used it.

because some people only learn through life lessons that hit them in the pocket. you do realize there are truly cheap people in the world right? I know a couple of them and they will literally not take a hint until it hits them hard in their wallet.

I used to buy cheap crappy $5 walmart garden hoses that cook into loops in the summer sun. grabbed me a $30 goodyear never kink hose 3 years ago and it brings tears to my eyes. never again cheap walmart garden hose. I hate having "cheap" moments lol.
Old 01-23-2013, 09:14 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (42)

I have to chuckle - many of you may not know where the rods and cranks were made in your engines. However, those lifters really are crappy..........
88GT Vert 5spd 3:73,Crower 15511 @ 109,70mm MAF w/19# injs,70mm TB,GT40P 1.85/1.55,Jet-Hot P headers, H pipe w/dumped Flows (no more drone),Holley SMII intake.www.fastlanecars.comhttp://tmoss.efidynotuning.com/
Old 01-23-2013, 11:47 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by stackz88 View Post
you do realize there are truly cheap people in the world right?
Maybe you can realize that there are people that dont have much money to spend and they have to chose between buying car parts or food.

He wanted to fix his car cheaply because he doesn't have a big income and he has to make the choice, get that car running and earn some money or stay home and dont make any money. You can see the dilema here.

If it was up to him and if he had the money, he would bought a new car.

Quote:
I have to chuckle - many of you may not know where the rods and cranks were made in your engines.
Most car parts are made in asian countrys now, even the parts Ford sells. Most house hold stuff like a telly or a notebook, your bleeder, you name it, it comes from asian countrys.

If the QC and manufacturing method is good there is no problem, however in the case of these lifters from Maxspeedrods, QC and manufacturing method are not so good.
Old 01-23-2013, 12:17 PM   #12

Saved for three years to build my 347, bought the best stuff and was very happy when it was all said and done......
Old 01-23-2013, 05:09 PM   #13

If he was trying to get out so cheap, why did he convert to a roller cam?? I bet summit sells flat tappet cam and lifter sets for the price you paid for a roller cam. Then again, you do get what you pay for! Is he using procomp heads?
Old 01-23-2013, 07:09 PM   #14
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (16)

First tip off

we have been engaged in high performance industry for over 10 years. with reliable quality and upper customer service, our lifters are welcomed to worldwide.

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Old 01-23-2013, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93tripleWhiteLx View Post

Also, what kind of rock is this you are selling? Crack rock? Because I haven't seen a Tiger on that island in... well... ever.
Just proves how well this magical rock works. Any offers?

I'll cut you a deal.

As for the OP, if money is so tight and he needs the car running how are dodgy parts going to provide any sort of reliability. Its just a timebomb waiting to put another huge dint in his pocket.
Old 01-24-2013, 04:27 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanggang91 View Post
If he was trying to get out so cheap, why did he convert to a roller cam?? I bet summit sells flat tappet cam and lifter sets for the price you paid for a roller cam. Then again, you do get what you pay for! Is he using procomp heads?
His engine had cam with wiped lobes in it (for the second time in 3 years) and he got a stock 351w roller cam for free, thats the reason for the roller conversion. The block it self is stock.

Yes it was stupid to buy these lifters, you can call us morrons, but at least we know how "good" these maxspeedrods lifters are. The pictures tell it all and our stupidity is a lesson for others that are thinking about buying these lifters. You get what you are paying for is in this case a good example.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:52 AM   #17

Reminds me of a professional products 351 carb intake a friend of mine bought new. The manifold bolts are half a hole off!

On a side note, I bought a cx racing turbo hot side. True it needs some " fidgeting" to bolt up, but well worth the 300 bux.

I guess chinese hotrod parts are like drywall, buy with caution!

Those lifters are terrible btw
Old 01-24-2013, 10:36 AM   #18

Trader Feedback: (9)

Sorry for the flack you're catching after sharing this, but I'm sure there are many others like me who are thankful that you took the time to document and share your experience with these lifters and this company.
Megasquirt
Old 01-24-2013, 04:52 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
First tip off

we have been engaged in high performance industry for over 10 years. with reliable quality and upper customer service, our lifters are welcomed to worldwide.
LOL - Excellent grammar as usual. The instructions are usually the giveaway.

Something as critical as a lifter needs to be american made. I personally had to search for several months before I found a set of linkbar hydraulic roller lifters which met my approval.

Even the cheaper Morel linkbar has some non-US parts in it (depending on the batch of bearings they use). I found out it is partially assembled and machined by Eaton for Morel. Despite this fact, the quality is still leaps and bounds superior to any Chinese lifter. The Morels cost only about $50 more than the Chinese ones, so there's no reason to settle for junk.
Old 01-24-2013, 05:00 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by capri v8 driver View Post

I not gone use these lifter, so i contacted Maxspeedrods and told them about the problems i found and showed them the pictures. They admitted that there could be batches of lifters that where faulty and not up to spec. It was a known problem.

So i asked them what to do now and i got the reply to send them back ($170 shipping at my onw cost) and they would restock them (minus 15% for fee and the shipping cost).

?? restock them?? These lifters are rubbish and should be trown away.

After that mail, i never got a response from them.
If you paid by paypal, you need to open a case with them and get your money back through paypal. The seller clearly admitted there's a problem with his merchandise and is shafting you. I'd never settle for having to pay a restocking fee, let alone having to pay for shipping. They need to refund all of your money including shipping.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:55 AM   #21

Trader Feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seijirou View Post
Sorry for the flack you're catching after sharing this, but I'm sure there are many others like me who are thankful that you took the time to document and share your experience with these lifters and this company.
X2...everyone is entitled to their opinion, but I agree that you are catching a lot of flack for trying to do the people on Corral a service. I appreciate the info, and the forewarning, even though I probably wouldn't have attempted to buy a set of linkbar lifters from anyone other than a reputable company. Nonetheless, much obliged.

"You just got to remember that trumpets are made from bicurious fish who spread lies about little people who crashed because they didn't take their five hour energy.. ya dig"
Old 01-25-2013, 10:49 AM   #22

Exclamation China's cheap auto parts are just dangerous

The chinese are very good at counterfeiting just about every part made by man, but what looks like the same part as a known quality made piece, usually is flawed in not only crappy material its made from, but in the over all fit and finish.
I believe some of the Internet Speed Shops sell this Chinese Junk, as Quality Automotive Parts. I have heard stories of inferior chinese suspension parts that have failed, and im sure many engines have failed because of these type of parts.
You might pay more buying from the reputable speed shops, but you probably wont have to worry about your engine blowing up or your suspension falling because of a badly made part. You end up saving money and piece of mind.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #23

sorry!
I once bought a set of con rods from maxspeedingrods for my 2005 Mustang, they are not such worse as claimed above. Probably I am luck enough to avoid those problems, but from my view, I dont think their quality is so crappy. Absolutely, there are various chinese parts in inferior performance, but I think this store is try their best to manufacture meritorious parts. Maybe I would buy there regularly.
Old 06-23-2014, 01:50 AM   #24
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (16)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedingdan View Post
sorry!

I once bought a set of con rods from maxspeedingrods for my 2005 Mustang, they are not such worse as claimed above. Probably I am luck enough to avoid those problems, but from my view, I dont think their quality is so crappy. Absolutely, there are various chinese parts in inferior performance, but I think this store is try their best to manufacture meritorious parts. Maybe I would buy there regularly.

Lmao

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Old 06-23-2014, 03:54 AM   #25

Excellent Chinglish lol.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:01 AM   #26

Trader Feedback: (9)

If they are too cheap to hire a liar fluent in English, they are definitely too cheap to make a quality product.
Old 06-23-2014, 08:24 AM   #27
Old timer

Garage
"Quality is not expensive. It's PRICELESS!"
Old 06-23-2014, 09:18 AM   #28

Trader Feedback: (20)

Quote:
sorry!
maxspeedingrods are worse as claimed above., I think their quality is so crappy. Absolutely, there are various chinese parts in inferior performance, but I think this store is not try their best to manufacture meritorious parts. Maybe I would not buy there regularly.
fixed
Old 06-23-2014, 09:25 AM   #29

Trader Feedback: (74)

Old 06-23-2014, 09:50 AM   #30

Trader Feedback: (45)

Hrmmm...let's evaluate this...

$170 or $350 for a set of lifters...

I'm to cheap or to tight of my budget so I opt out and save my $180, rebuild my engine and spend thousands on machining and new parts.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Old 06-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #31

Quote:
sorry!
Well there Speedingdan, I hope your Google search on MaxSpeedingRods leads you to many more complaints on forums. Please continue to register and use your first post to reveal that your employer (MaxSpeedingRods) is aware of their well-deserved reputation. They are making junk and we all know it.

BTW, Please reveal to us many more details about your exciting 2005 Mustang!
Old 06-23-2014, 02:24 PM   #32

If brother speedingdan "IS" from the UK, I would hope his handle on the English language is better than this written example. I will say the "meritorious" attempt to rebuff the problems illustrated by the OP's pictures is as "in inferior performance" as those link-bar lifters.
Old 06-23-2014, 03:26 PM   #33

Trader Feedback: (74)

I love when these guys poorly try to disguise themselves as satisfied customers trying to peddle their garbage...

If you can't even he honest enuff to come out and say you're affiliated with "X" company, what makes you think anyone would trust you to buy parts from you, whether they are complete junk or top of the line pieces...?
Old 06-24-2014, 03:23 AM   #34

Trader Feedback: (7)

Quote:
sorry!
Really? Is there no shame? The listing has been removed. Did you buy them directly from the manufacturer or an online retailer posting on eBay?
Old 06-24-2014, 07:01 AM   #35

@ Speedingdan,

Quote:
they are not such worse as claimed above.
A good shop takes care of his customers and don't leave them hanging when there is a complaint or problem with the parts and take action to resolve the complaint by, for instance take the parts back, free of charge and send parts that are good or pay the money back.

It took 3 weeks and several mails to get them to respond and a other 5 weeks to explain the problem. I even send them the pictures as shown above with shows the problems with these lifters. After that I never had a response again of maxspeedrods.

I think you are just a employee of maxspeedrods. Tell you boss the following:

As I'm not a bad guy I give maxspeedingrods still the chance to resolve the matter. I still have the lifters, so I can send them back if maxspeedingrods ask for it and they pay for the shipping cost. I see the matter solved if maxspeedingrods pays back the pursing price + shipping cost for the lifters.

You can respond true the pm or in this topic if you want to resolve this matter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement