car running hot, losing coolant...HELP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2002, 09:56 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

car running hot, losing coolant...HELP

OK, my engine is running hot. It stays about 220 all the time, hot and cold weather. I am constantly losing coolant. I know....it a head gasket. But the plugs look fine and my oil isn't a milkshake. What else can I look for. My engine is as follows:
DSS 306, p/p edelbrock heads, AFM B-41 cam, p/p cobra intake, etc... In a '94 cobra. Any ideas?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2002, 11:34 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (8)

i had the hose that comes off the back of the TB and runs down to the head spring a leak by the head, and it ran onto the exhaust and burned away

just a thought
04 Acura TL - trans cooler
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-30-2002, 11:41 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (6)

Block Test

Have a technician with a block test kit inspect your vehicle. What he will do is check your coolant for CO or CO2. He will use a dye and a plunger device to extract vapors from the hot coolant in the radiator to see if there are any trace vapors. The head gasket can also blow out very hot cumbustion gas and cause you to leak coolant out of your over flow reservior. Please try and have an ASE certified technician do this. This is not something for your local shade tree or the partially trained "speed shop" "mechanic." Find an experienced shop with properly trained technicians and you'll get what you pay for and vice versa.

Thanks,

Art Zarate Jr.

P.S.
You'll still be able to drive you car and you won't feel much aof an abnormality with this type of gasket problem, but I would have it taken care of imediately.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:24 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (8)

did you check your water pump? mine went bad and was leaking coolant from the weep hole.
Old 07-31-2002, 12:55 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (9)

Where exactly is the puddle when your coolant leaks out?..if there is one.
Old 07-31-2002, 08:15 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (1)

There is no puddle. Every few days my coolant light comes on. Since there is no puddle I think I am buring it up internally. The only problem with having an ASE certified tech do this is that most won't even get near the car because it is so modified. They always try to blame it on a mod rather than really look into it. But, maybe I'll look around and see if I can find someone.
Old 07-31-2002, 05:24 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

Re: Block Test

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Zarate Jr.
Have a technician with a block test kit inspect your vehicle. What he will do is check your coolant for CO or CO2. He will use a dye and a plunger device to extract vapors from the hot coolant in the radiator to see if there are any trace vapors. The head gasket can also blow out very hot cumbustion gas and cause you to leak coolant out of your over flow reservior. Please try and have an ASE certified technician do this. This is not something for your local shade tree or the partially trained "speed shop" "mechanic." Find an experienced shop with properly trained technicians and you'll get what you pay for and vice versa.

You don't need an ASE mechanic to use that liquid block tester. You can just buy it from www.snapon.com pt# ya-2000 for $61.
Old 08-08-2002, 03:51 PM   #8

Re: Re: Block Test

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedronius

You don't need an ASE mechanic to use that liquid block tester. You can just buy it from www.snapon.com pt# ya-2000 for $61.
True, but do you know how to use it? I do, I'm ASE master certified. The only reason I chose to direct him, or anyone for that matter, to a tech is that they should know what they are doing and they will be safe in doing so.

Old 08-13-2002, 02:10 PM   #9

Re: Re: Re: Block Test

Quote:

True, but do you know how to use it? I do, I'm ASE master certified.
Yeah, I read the directions.

Quote:
The only reason I chose to direct him, or anyone for that matter, to a tech is that they should know what they are doing and they will be safe in doing so.
What can you harm using that block tester kit?
Old 08-18-2002, 03:17 PM   #10

Ouch...

You could burn three layers of your skin off if you release the pressure of a contained environment (radiator and pressure cap) and cause the system to boil over. The cap supplies 13-16 psi of pressure and for every pound of pressure it will raise the boiling point of a liquid by three degrees. Remove the cap at the wrong time and it could boil over instantly. Better safe than sorry.

Art
Old 08-18-2002, 07:36 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (5)

It sounds like a headgasket issue to me.

You won't necessarilly find oil in your coolant when a headgasket goes. You could have easily blown the gasket from the cylinder to a water passage, and it would most likely just burn the coolant off. If it's a slow enough leak, you may not even notice smoke in your exhaust.

Do you have bubbles in your radiator/overflow tank?
Old 08-19-2002, 01:15 PM   #12

Re: Ouch...

Quote:
You could burn three layers of your skin off if you release the pressure of a contained environment (radiator and pressure cap) and cause the system to boil over. The cap supplies 13-16 psi of pressure and for every pound of pressure it will raise the boiling point of a liquid by three degrees. Remove the cap at the wrong time and it could boil over instantly. Better safe than sorry.

Art

Thanks Art, for your recommending that I spend $60-80/hour to hire an ASE, that's ASE Certified, mechanic to open a radiator cap for me so I won't hurt myself.

Might as well hire one to check my oil dipstick too since I can burn myself on the headers when I reach for it. Or when I open the hood with the fan running, my $5 tie can get caught in it and choke me to death. Or when I try to pour winshield washer fluid into the resevoir, I may accidentally slip on a banana peel and toss that jug in the air and it conks me on the head and I get knocked out and the container opening lands right next to my unconscious head while my mouth is wide open and on the bottom of an incline and the windshield washer fluid drips into my mouth to poison me. You make alot of sense. Is business bad or something?
Old 08-20-2002, 08:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally posted by Big Red Jim
It sounds like a headgasket issue to me.

You won't necessarilly find oil in your coolant when a headgasket goes. You could have easily blown the gasket from the cylinder to a water passage, and it would most likely just burn the coolant off. If it's a slow enough leak, you may not even notice smoke in your exhaust.

Do you have bubbles in your radiator/overflow tank?
I've got the same thing as the original poster of this thread - car (slowly) loses coolant. The water Pump was recent replaced and I don't see any leaks at all. Both the oil and coolant color look fine too (which is not what I would expect if it's caused by a headgasket)

I'm hoping it's an external leak somewhere but if not is there any definate way to tell if it's a head gasket? Car runs fine and just passed emissions???????
Old 08-20-2002, 10:31 AM   #14

I have a pinhole in my radiator. Mine leaks very slowly right now. Make sure your radiator isnt losing any coolant. Surely when its ho you can hear the water sprwing out somewhere. Thats how I figured out I had a radiator leak.
91 Coupe, stock motor w/50k miles, Stock AOD w/189k miles, K & N, 190lph fuel pump, Stock rear-end w/2.73, lowered, Energy Suspension bushings throught, tubular rear control arms, Hotchkis camber plates, its slow...but i know
Old 08-22-2002, 11:45 PM   #15

Re: Re: Ouch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedronius

Thanks Art, for your recommending that I spend $60-80/hour to hire an ASE, that's ASE Certified, mechanic to open a radiator cap for me so I won't hurt myself.

Might as well hire one to check my oil dipstick too since I can burn myself on the headers when I reach for it. Or when I open the hood with the fan running, my $5 tie can get caught in it and choke me to death. Or when I try to pour winshield washer fluid into the resevoir, I may accidentally slip on a banana peel and toss that jug in the air and it conks me on the head and I get knocked out and the container opening lands right next to my unconscious head while my mouth is wide open and on the bottom of an incline and the windshield washer fluid drips into my mouth to poison me. You make alot of sense. Is business bad or something?
You can hire me to remove the dipstick out of your a$$. I clear $1,500 after taxes a week, so I'm not hurting. "$5 dollar tie?" You must be one of the KIA salesmen on the other side of town.

Thanks,

Art Zarate Jr.
Old 08-23-2002, 12:27 AM   #16

I dont see anything wrong with hiring a tech, if you have cash to burn.
I like to try stuff myself, hell I'll try anything once. If I cant get it then I would consider taking it somewhere. I'm a poor guy so I do stuff myself, unless it a pita to work on. That starter is a pain to change, i paid someone to do it for me, was worth it to me.
If you were to hire someone to work on your car, I dont see where is has to be an ASE tech, though most shops have ase guys. Just because someone is ASE dosent mean they are worth a crap and just cause a guy isnt ASE dosent make him/her a bad mechanic.

My .02
91 Coupe, stock motor w/50k miles, Stock AOD w/189k miles, K & N, 190lph fuel pump, Stock rear-end w/2.73, lowered, Energy Suspension bushings throught, tubular rear control arms, Hotchkis camber plates, its slow...but i know
Sponsored Links
Advertisement