car running hot, losing coolant...HELP - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 07-30-2002, 10:56 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Palmer, MA
Posts: 111
car running hot, losing coolant...HELP

OK, my engine is running hot. It stays about 220 all the time, hot and cold weather. I am constantly losing coolant. I know....it a head gasket. But the plugs look fine and my oil isn't a milkshake. What else can I look for. My engine is as follows:
DSS 306, p/p edelbrock heads, AFM B-41 cam, p/p cobra intake, etc... In a '94 cobra. Any ideas?

Cobra4657 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 16 Old 07-31-2002, 12:34 AM
Registered User
 
SHaFT7's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (8)
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Lawrence, KS
Posts: 3,898
i had the hose that comes off the back of the TB and runs down to the head spring a leak by the head, and it ran onto the exhaust and burned away

just a thought


Ralph - Armchair politician: I may not be a market analyst, but I DID stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
91 GT - SOLD missed!
02 ZX-6E - SOLD
04 Acura TL - trans cooler
SHaFT7 is offline  
post #3 of 16 Old 07-31-2002, 12:41 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 630
Block Test

Have a technician with a block test kit inspect your vehicle. What he will do is check your coolant for CO or CO2. He will use a dye and a plunger device to extract vapors from the hot coolant in the radiator to see if there are any trace vapors. The head gasket can also blow out very hot cumbustion gas and cause you to leak coolant out of your over flow reservior. Please try and have an ASE certified technician do this. This is not something for your local shade tree or the partially trained "speed shop" "mechanic." Find an experienced shop with properly trained technicians and you'll get what you pay for and vice versa.

Thanks,

Art Zarate Jr.

P.S.
You'll still be able to drive you car and you won't feel much aof an abnormality with this type of gasket problem, but I would have it taken care of imediately.

93 Cobra - rebuild in the works
ASE master, Ford Master certified technician, I specialize in all electrical, driveability, engine performance, custom stereo designs, and getting my customer complete satisfaction with their build.
Art Zarate Jr. is offline  
post #4 of 16 Old 07-31-2002, 01:24 AM
Registered User
 
94TurboGT's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (8)
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 630
did you check your water pump? mine went bad and was leaking coolant from the weep hole.
94TurboGT is offline  
post #5 of 16 Old 07-31-2002, 01:55 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (9)
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Texas
Posts: 409
Where exactly is the puddle when your coolant leaks out?..if there is one.
red9250 is offline  
post #6 of 16 Old 07-31-2002, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (1)
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: Palmer, MA
Posts: 111
There is no puddle. Every few days my coolant light comes on. Since there is no puddle I think I am buring it up internally. The only problem with having an ASE certified tech do this is that most won't even get near the car because it is so modified. They always try to blame it on a mod rather than really look into it. But, maybe I'll look around and see if I can find someone.
Cobra4657 is offline  
post #7 of 16 Old 07-31-2002, 06:24 PM
Registered User
 
Pedronius's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Joser
Posts: 369
Re: Block Test

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Zarate Jr.
Have a technician with a block test kit inspect your vehicle. What he will do is check your coolant for CO or CO2. He will use a dye and a plunger device to extract vapors from the hot coolant in the radiator to see if there are any trace vapors. The head gasket can also blow out very hot cumbustion gas and cause you to leak coolant out of your over flow reservior. Please try and have an ASE certified technician do this. This is not something for your local shade tree or the partially trained "speed shop" "mechanic." Find an experienced shop with properly trained technicians and you'll get what you pay for and vice versa.

You don't need an ASE mechanic to use that liquid block tester. You can just buy it from www.snapon.com pt# ya-2000 for $61.
Pedronius is offline  
post #8 of 16 Old 08-08-2002, 04:51 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 630
Re: Re: Block Test

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedronius



You don't need an ASE mechanic to use that liquid block tester. You can just buy it from www.snapon.com pt# ya-2000 for $61.
True, but do you know how to use it? I do, I'm ASE master certified. The only reason I chose to direct him, or anyone for that matter, to a tech is that they should know what they are doing and they will be safe in doing so.


93 Cobra - rebuild in the works
ASE master, Ford Master certified technician, I specialize in all electrical, driveability, engine performance, custom stereo designs, and getting my customer complete satisfaction with their build.
Art Zarate Jr. is offline  
post #9 of 16 Old 08-13-2002, 03:10 PM
Registered User
 
Pedronius's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Joser
Posts: 369
Re: Re: Re: Block Test

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Zarate Jr.

True, but do you know how to use it? I do, I'm ASE master certified.
Yeah, I read the directions.

Quote:
The only reason I chose to direct him, or anyone for that matter, to a tech is that they should know what they are doing and they will be safe in doing so.
What can you harm using that block tester kit?
Pedronius is offline  
post #10 of 16 Old 08-18-2002, 04:17 PM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 630
Ouch...

You could burn three layers of your skin off if you release the pressure of a contained environment (radiator and pressure cap) and cause the system to boil over. The cap supplies 13-16 psi of pressure and for every pound of pressure it will raise the boiling point of a liquid by three degrees. Remove the cap at the wrong time and it could boil over instantly. Better safe than sorry.


Art


93 Cobra - rebuild in the works
ASE master, Ford Master certified technician, I specialize in all electrical, driveability, engine performance, custom stereo designs, and getting my customer complete satisfaction with their build.
Art Zarate Jr. is offline  
post #11 of 16 Old 08-18-2002, 08:36 PM
Registered User
 
Jimmies's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (5)
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Manhattan
Posts: 1,343
It sounds like a headgasket issue to me.

You won't necessarilly find oil in your coolant when a headgasket goes. You could have easily blown the gasket from the cylinder to a water passage, and it would most likely just burn the coolant off. If it's a slow enough leak, you may not even notice smoke in your exhaust.

Do you have bubbles in your radiator/overflow tank?

"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you."
Jimmies is offline  
post #12 of 16 Old 08-19-2002, 02:15 PM
Registered User
 
Pedronius's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: San Joser
Posts: 369
Re: Ouch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Art Zarate Jr.
You could burn three layers of your skin off if you release the pressure of a contained environment (radiator and pressure cap) and cause the system to boil over. The cap supplies 13-16 psi of pressure and for every pound of pressure it will raise the boiling point of a liquid by three degrees. Remove the cap at the wrong time and it could boil over instantly. Better safe than sorry.


Art

Thanks Art, for your recommending that I spend $60-80/hour to hire an ASE, that's ASE Certified, mechanic to open a radiator cap for me so I won't hurt myself.

Might as well hire one to check my oil dipstick too since I can burn myself on the headers when I reach for it. Or when I open the hood with the fan running, my $5 tie can get caught in it and choke me to death. Or when I try to pour winshield washer fluid into the resevoir, I may accidentally slip on a banana peel and toss that jug in the air and it conks me on the head and I get knocked out and the container opening lands right next to my unconscious head while my mouth is wide open and on the bottom of an incline and the windshield washer fluid drips into my mouth to poison me. You make alot of sense. Is business bad or something?
Pedronius is offline  
post #13 of 16 Old 08-20-2002, 09:54 AM
Registered User
 
Winks's Avatar
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Mass
Posts: 257
Quote:
Originally posted by Big Red Jim
It sounds like a headgasket issue to me.

You won't necessarilly find oil in your coolant when a headgasket goes. You could have easily blown the gasket from the cylinder to a water passage, and it would most likely just burn the coolant off. If it's a slow enough leak, you may not even notice smoke in your exhaust.

Do you have bubbles in your radiator/overflow tank?
I've got the same thing as the original poster of this thread - car (slowly) loses coolant. The water Pump was recent replaced and I don't see any leaks at all. Both the oil and coolant color look fine too (which is not what I would expect if it's caused by a headgasket)

I'm hoping it's an external leak somewhere but if not is there any definate way to tell if it's a head gasket? Car runs fine and just passed emissions???????
Winks is offline  
post #14 of 16 Old 08-20-2002, 11:31 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 106
I have a pinhole in my radiator. Mine leaks very slowly right now. Make sure your radiator isnt losing any coolant. Surely when its ho you can hear the water sprwing out somewhere. Thats how I figured out I had a radiator leak.

91 Coupe, stock motor w/50k miles, Stock AOD w/189k miles, K & N, 190lph fuel pump, Stock rear-end w/2.73, lowered, Energy Suspension bushings throught, tubular rear control arms, Hotchkis camber plates, its slow...but i know
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
91stangerbanger is offline  
post #15 of 16 Old 08-23-2002, 12:45 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (6)
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Conroe, TX
Posts: 630
Re: Re: Ouch...

Quote:
Originally posted by Pedronius



Thanks Art, for your recommending that I spend $60-80/hour to hire an ASE, that's ASE Certified, mechanic to open a radiator cap for me so I won't hurt myself.

Might as well hire one to check my oil dipstick too since I can burn myself on the headers when I reach for it. Or when I open the hood with the fan running, my $5 tie can get caught in it and choke me to death. Or when I try to pour winshield washer fluid into the resevoir, I may accidentally slip on a banana peel and toss that jug in the air and it conks me on the head and I get knocked out and the container opening lands right next to my unconscious head while my mouth is wide open and on the bottom of an incline and the windshield washer fluid drips into my mouth to poison me. You make alot of sense. Is business bad or something?
You can hire me to remove the dipstick out of your a$$. I clear $1,500 after taxes a week, so I'm not hurting. "$5 dollar tie?" You must be one of the KIA salesmen on the other side of town.

Thanks,

Art Zarate Jr.

93 Cobra - rebuild in the works
ASE master, Ford Master certified technician, I specialize in all electrical, driveability, engine performance, custom stereo designs, and getting my customer complete satisfaction with their build.
Art Zarate Jr. is offline  
post #16 of 16 Old 08-23-2002, 01:27 AM
Registered User
 
Trader Feedback: (0)
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 106
I dont see anything wrong with hiring a tech, if you have cash to burn.
I like to try stuff myself, hell I'll try anything once. If I cant get it then I would consider taking it somewhere. I'm a poor guy so I do stuff myself, unless it a pita to work on. That starter is a pain to change, i paid someone to do it for me, was worth it to me.
If you were to hire someone to work on your car, I dont see where is has to be an ASE tech, though most shops have ase guys. Just because someone is ASE dosent mean they are worth a crap and just cause a guy isnt ASE dosent make him/her a bad mechanic.

My .02

91 Coupe, stock motor w/50k miles, Stock AOD w/189k miles, K & N, 190lph fuel pump, Stock rear-end w/2.73, lowered, Energy Suspension bushings throught, tubular rear control arms, Hotchkis camber plates, its slow...but i know
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
91stangerbanger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome