Smog pump removal on 1986 gt 5.0 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (3)

Smog pump removal on 1986 gt 5.0

I have a 1986 GT 5.0 Mustang and I am looking to remove the smog pump.

The black valve that is supposed to have a tube on it that runs to the cats is making a ticking noise so instead of fixing it I just want to remove the whole thing.

Would it be better to remove the smog pump and put a idle pulley or is it better to remove and save money and get a shorter belt? I heard the shorter belt will slip on the WP due to the way it has to be ran?

Also, as far as removing the smog pump is there anything else I need?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 01:04 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

I just want to point out that's a 10 dollar part at any parts store.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:06 PM   #3

I want to point out that I run a off road H pipe and have no intentions of ever going to a cat. Also I would like the extra space under the hood to clean it up a bit.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 11-22-2012, 01:14 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (17)

I haven't had any issues with belt slippage running the shorter belt on my 86 without the air pump. Just yank off the whole thing, including the air tubing and cap the inlet pipes to the converters and rear head ports. Be sure to leave the tab/tad solenoids at the passenger fender well plugged in and cap the vacuum lines going to the diverter/switching valves, so you don't get any vacuum or exhaust leaks. You may get ecm fault codes, but in 86 the check engine won't show this and the car shouldn't run any different.
Old 11-22-2012, 01:21 PM   #5

Do you know what size bolts I need?

5/8 in. x 1in.?

Not being lazy or anything but I have to purchase everything offline as I am in the UK and can't just walk into a autozone. So I prefer to order it all online and then do it all once all the parts get here. So if possible what should I order?
Old 11-22-2012, 01:27 PM   #6
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfister11 View Post
Do you know what size bolts I need?

5/8 in. x 1in.?

Not being lazy or anything but I have to purchase everything offline as I am in the UK and can't just walk into a autozone. So I prefer to order it all online and then do it all once all the parts get here. So if possible what should I order?
3/4" is preferable, but you could just use a nice thick washer and some red rtv silicone... and yes, its 5/8-11
64bit is banned  
Old 11-22-2012, 03:27 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (10)

When you remove the smog pump and the plumbing, there are two vacuum lines that can be removed but you need to plug them off. You can also remove the TAB and TAD solenoids behind the passenger shock tower as well. Really cleans up the engine bay.

Once you pull off the plumbing to the back of the heads, you will need to put in two bungs to plug the holes---> 1979-95 Mustang Cylinder Head Smog Plugs for 5.0L & 5.8L at LRS - Free Shipping!
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

Will removing those relays cause any code issues? BTW I havnt had any slippage problems either. Stock crank pulley and A/C 5060850 (6PK2160) belt.
Stock S/B, TFS170, 1 5/8 shortys 2.5 O/R X Flowmasters/2.5 tailpipes, AFM Powerpipe, 80ProM, 75Accufab TB, 30#inj, PP Typhoon, N41, 3G, MSD 6AL, AOD Baumann kit w/ Sonnax bits, 3K Edge L/U, 3.55, Eibach/Tokico/Mac rear uppers/lowers, 5 lug 17X8 Ford Cobra R's, Nitto 555's.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1989LX3D View Post
Will removing those relays cause any code issues? BTW I havnt had any slippage problems either. Stock crank pulley and A/C 5060850 (6PK2160) belt.
You will get codes but no check engine light. No impact whatsoever on performance. They are solenoids for the valve (hence why they have the vacuum lines connected to them), not relays.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:47 AM   #10

For capping it off you just use those little rubber plugs that go over the tubes?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:51 AM   #11

Goodyear Engineered Prod 4060850 Serpentine Belt | eBay

Will that work for a belt?
Old 11-23-2012, 03:55 AM   #12

And with those plugs, How do they screw in? Will I still be able to get those in with the engine in the car?
Old 11-23-2012, 07:32 AM   #13
Banned

Quote:
And with those plugs, How do they screw in? Will I still be able to get those in with the engine in the car?
absolute worst case scenario... you screw a 1/2" long 7/16-14 bolt into it and thread it in there.
64bit is banned  
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 PM   #14

Does anyone have a link to the caps I need to plug off the tubes?
Old 11-23-2012, 06:23 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
I use a 5060850 w/stock crank pulley, p/s and a/c. See above post for the alt #.
Stock S/B, TFS170, 1 5/8 shortys 2.5 O/R X Flowmasters/2.5 tailpipes, AFM Powerpipe, 80ProM, 75Accufab TB, 30#inj, PP Typhoon, N41, 3G, MSD 6AL, AOD Baumann kit w/ Sonnax bits, 3K Edge L/U, 3.55, Eibach/Tokico/Mac rear uppers/lowers, 5 lug 17X8 Ford Cobra R's, Nitto 555's.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:50 AM   #16

Quote:
Does anyone have a link to the caps I need to plug off the tubes?
Are you talking the vacuum lines? Here you go:Vinyl Vacuum Cap Assortment at LRS - Free Shipping!

Every regulate auto parts stores have these too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement