Ford Mustang Forums banner

Or x pipe or h pipe or pro chamber with longtubes

9K views 82 replies 23 participants last post by  jalancast 
#1 ·
Just wondering who has had luck with any of these on a 347 with longtubes. Never used pro chamber how much does it help or hinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#7 ·
Ive got 1 3/4 LTs, 3" X-pipe, and 4X9 3 inch Magnaflows. Has a nice throaty deep idle, very, very quite at cruise ( 2200-2600 rpms ) and loud as heck when I stomp on it. When I changed over to my current exhaust set up, I picked up a little over 4mph in the 1/4.

#8 ·
I have my 347 exhaust headers Y-piped into a single exhaust.

I see no advantage to x-pipes, h-pipes, duals etc. over a properly sized single exhaust system.

The single exhaust is nice because it's easy to route, doesn't take up so much under car space etc.

#10 ·
X pipes, h pipes and dual exhaust have a huge advantage over a single setup. Look at every high end, high power cars and even race cars. There is a reason they run dual exhaust

#12 ·
Perhaps I am wrong.

If thats the case then lets hear a good explanation of how the dual, x and h are better than headers with well designed y pipe and properly sized tail pipe.

I think the whole dual exhaust thing is all looks, sound, vanity, ego....nothing to do with performance. I have gone both ways with my cars in the past and never noticed a difference other than cost, weight, ease of installation with the single exhaust winning in each catagory.

We are also talking about NA engines since there was no mention of turbo, sc etc.

#13 ·
Lets see here. First an x pipe with dual exhaust helps with port velocity which helps with exhaust flow. Also to match a properly setup 3" dual exhaust setup you would have to run a full 6" single exhaust from headers back to equal the flow. I would love to see that done lol

#15 ·
Yeah. And NASCAR and lemans series racers have it wrong too lol. This is hilarious

#24 ·
Very well. Let me repeat myself.

If thats the case then lets hear a good explanation of how the dual, x and h (with headers) are better than headers with well designed y pipe and properly sized tail pipe (single).

Lets hear your explanation. I am not very optimistic given that you think it takes a single 6 to match a dual 3. But, lets hear it.

#19 ·
I think that has more to do with your choice of muffler. My last set up was the typical H-pipe and flowmasters. The drone was pretty bad. I have zero drone with my current exhaust system.

#21 ·
This topic is a never ending story. If you skip the sound topic and focus on the performance side your probably looking at 20-hp max on different mid-pipes, mufflers, step-headers. Also the exact placement of the mid-pipe is critical. The bottom line is you would have to experiment at the track since every application is different. This means multiple mufflers, mid-pipes just to get the 10hp-20hp. I think thats why the sound factor seems more important today. Good luck !!

#27 ·
#31 ·
longtubes with shorty off road h-pipe and mac catback = amazing badasss sound!! great power too!

#39 ·
Who here has dual intake pipes?

Yeah I didn't think so. All of you kids are leaving lots of power on the table because you don't have dual intakes. What's the point of dual exhaust without dual intakes? Do you know how huge your single intake pipe would need to be to equal the performance of dual intake pipes?

Dual intake pipes, get some or your ride is a joke.

To the O.P. An X or a prochamber. Either will make power, if the chamber/crossover is in the correct location. I think prochambers sound better but taste is taste.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.