Cylinder Head Comparo?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Cylinder Head Comparo??

I searched first and didn't see anything comprehensive. Feel free to tell me I completely dropped the ball, if appropriate. Can anyone point me in the right direction or post a link to a good head comparison article? I'm coming to Ford engines from the import world and there's not much "overlap".
I have a stock bore 5.8L block I'd like to stroke to 393 or 408ci. Not looking for high revs, but lots of low-end torgue and decent power. Should I dismiss the cast-iron heads automatically in favor of aluminum? How do I narrow it down between AFR, Brodix, Canfield, Edelbrock, Holley, TW, etc? Are Pro-Comp heads worth a look or is that an example of "getting what you pay for"?

Thanks in advance for any help.

BrucekGT
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #2
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (15)

Just got off the dyno with a low rpm tq monster take it for what its worth, its for a suit and tie type of end user in a full custom 69 mustang

10.5:1
Custom Hyd Roller
Trick Flow 190 Head (my valvetrain)
Air Gap Intake
Pro Systems Carb

537 ft-lbs of tq at 3400 rpm
505 hp at 5800

Alot of guys will shoot you for less than a 200+ cc head, but different needs, wants and applications dictate different setups.

IMO, the heads I would be considering would be Trick Flow or AFR. Simply due to the included parts. Pro Comp I would steer FAR AWAY from, search pro comp here and have fun. Let me know if you need some help.

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (4)

Hey Woody I'm not down playing AFR or Trickflow heads (considering I have TF Hipo's) but when "what heads should I get" questions get tossed around AFR/TF are at the forefront every time but why is it that Brodix/cantfield are not thrown into the mix more?
1994 SVT Cobra #42 of 5009/ 95 Cobra R drivetrain

Performance- FTI TFS Custom CNC Ported 234HR High Ports /Edelbrock Victor 5.8/FTI Camshaft/Accufab 75MM TB/ PMAS 95MM Velocity Meter/Tremec 3550
Old 03-08-2012, 06:36 PM   #4

Canfield has been out of business for years, so thats gone. As for brodix, they are not bad at all but in my opinion the the complete package that is offered by trick flow and afr cant be beat for the price. When you look at the valves, springs, locks, retainers, castings, ability and product support.

NOONE EVER puts enough emphasis on after sale support or help, this is what sets alot of people and companies apart, AFTER they get your credit card number.

I also think perception plays a part. Brodix is a perceived chevy company through and through. In talking with 1000's of customers over the years Ford guys tend to like to deal with Ford people and in my opinion Trick Flow is one of the most Ford "minded" cylinder head companies around. Personal opinion.

Let me also add another aspect NOONE ever considers, resale value. What product name will carry more resale value for YOU in the end? Just look at the for sale section here, look at the sheer amount of stuff for sale. Go post a NON household familiar name of cylinder head for nearly the same money as an afr or trick flow etc and see what the outcome of your sale is.

BIG PICTURE

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Last edited by strokeme; 03-08-2012 at 06:39 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (4)

Makes a lot of sense, thanks for the insight.
1994 SVT Cobra #42 of 5009/ 95 Cobra R drivetrain

Performance- FTI TFS Custom CNC Ported 234HR High Ports /Edelbrock Victor 5.8/FTI Camshaft/Accufab 75MM TB/ PMAS 95MM Velocity Meter/Tremec 3550
Old 03-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #6

Venom that head you have in your sig, with FTI attached to it will carry a TON more resale value, credibility and trust worthiness.

Make sure to sign up for

Old 03-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
505 hp at 5800
Jesus... Tractor pull anyone? This motor would be killer in a foxbody.. All done by 6 grand..Wow..

Quote:
NOONE EVER puts enough emphasis on after sale support or help, this is what sets alot of people and companies apart, AFTER they get your credit card number.
With times the way they are, this should be THE selling point for buying engine parts. I think you should consider the TFS and custom cam route. TFS 190 FAC or the 205 with PAC valvetrain and some sort of custom cam.
Old 03-09-2012, 04:44 PM   #8

Thanks, Woody. Can I swap a 302 EFI setup to a 408 with bigger injectors and a re-map? I located the 351 to 302 adapter that should make the intake work. Is it a lot more involved than that?
Old 03-09-2012, 06:09 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (23)

imo i wouldnt use an adapter for anything just get a different lower

{393w, TEA 205,Vic Jr, Fuel injected
Old 03-14-2012, 04:04 AM   #10

Quote:
Just got off the dyno with a low rpm tq monster take it for what its worth, its for a suit and tie type of end user in a full custom 69 mustang

10.5:1
Custom Hyd Roller
Trick Flow 190 Head (my valvetrain)
Air Gap Intake
Pro Systems Carb

505 hp at 5800

Alot of guys will shoot you for less than a 200+ cc head, but different needs, wants and applications dictate different setups.

IMO, the heads I would be considering would be Trick Flow or AFR. Simply due to the included parts. Pro Comp I would steer FAR AWAY from, search pro comp here and have fun. Let me know if you need some help.

Thats what i'm looking for ! Will fire off a PM ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement