Comp's Mutha Thumper cams... - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-14-2012, 11:59 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (45)

Comp's Mutha Thumper cams...

Alright, im trying to talk a friend out of buying one of these cams. He wants one so bad cause "they sound amazing"...

Guy purchased a 90 or 91 Hatch on a whim cause I had recently purchased my 88 Coupe. Car has a 306 in it for a stock bottom end and aftermarket forged flat tops (probe). I want to say he is running a AFR 185 head and a FMS X cam. Its been converted to carb and he is running a victor Jr and a 700cfm HP Holley...

he doesnt drag race the car at all, just drives it around town...I guess im kinda HP minded and I like seeing what you can get out of the car, and I think with the cam he wants to run he will loose power.

http://www.compperformancegroupstore...ry_Code=SBFHRC

Cam specs are
235/249 @ 50
541/526 lift
107 Lobe sep.

Last edited by Wicked03GT; 01-15-2012 at 12:05 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 02:48 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (5)

How do they manage to rate that thing as only good to 5,900 rpm? The separation and ICL are too close together, and the duration is nuts for a street driven 302. It's kinda like if you did everything wrong when designing a cam. That "thump" will also be known as, "runs and drives real bad." I think you're right, he will lose power, and his driveability will go out the window. Tell him to save a few bucks and pull a plug wire; about the same effect.

Just as, "Going fast is looking good," "Going fast is sounding good."

I can only guess that your friend is too young (or fried) to remember the "Pro Street" cars from the 80's - empty blowers, homoerotic color schemes and giant tires. Half of them ran 15's. The others didn't run at all. I always thought they should just put rainbow colored muscle-bound unicorn graphics on those things and get it over with already.

I'm sure someone will chime in with, "They're actually well thought out designs based on blah, blah, blah." Choosing a cam for sound is like dating a transvestite.

'84 LTD LX - "Hey, watch this!" - common sense delete
10.55 @ 129.34 w/1.43 60' - footbraking the AOD on small QTPs!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-15-2012, 03:07 AM   #3

He isnt a young guy, he is my age (30). I think he is just wanting to fit into a little group outside the military and his car in comparison to others in the area is quite slow and petite in the engine department. He lives in Tampa, and the usual cars around town are sporting well into the 500+whp and alot are rolling around on solid roller set-ups...
Old 01-15-2012, 03:27 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (1)

He's going to spend a good amount of money just for a "sound". That is a retro fit (small base circle I believe) cam and he will have to use their lifters with it. If he wants to have that solid roller cam sound tell him to back the lifter preload off to between 0 and 1/8 turn. 1/4 turn max. It works well. Advancing the X cam by 4° might make the idle rougher too.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:36 AM   #5

I think I have him talked into a traditional cam, but as him and I both are dumb as rocks in that department.

He is not going for a custom cam from FTI, he is way to cheap for that. Also got a little more information in his combo as well. He is rocking a set of ported 185 AFRs, had a flow sheet that says it flows 288cfm at .600. He also has a flat tappet engine with retro fit link bar lifters already installed. Running 11:1 compression with 58cc chambers... Valve sizes are 2.02 and 1.60, with a max lift of .650.
Old 01-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #6
Old timer

Trader Feedback: (17)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked03GT View Post
I think I have him talked into a traditional cam, but as him and I both are dumb as rocks in that department.

He is not going for a custom cam from FTI, he is way to cheap for that. Also got a little more information in his combo as well. He is rocking a set of ported 185 AFRs, had a flow sheet that says it flows 288cfm at .600. He also has a flat tappet engine with retro fit link bar lifters already installed. Running 11:1 compression with 58cc chambers... Valve sizes are 2.02 and 1.60, with a max lift of .650.
Hmmm -

$306 for this grind from Comp

$325 for custom grind from me.

That's one cheap SOB you have for a friend. LOL

Old 01-15-2012, 12:50 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (36)

Quote:

not as cheap as you would think, when he's not happy with a "recommended" camshaft, then buys another "recommended" cam. or he can spend 325 and be done once, have cake and eat it too. just contact ed. there is a reason he does cams, not because he has a sales catalog. more because he has knowledge most do not and makes the COMBO work!
plenty more to a camshaft than lift and duration........
Old 01-15-2012, 01:10 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Curtis View Post
Hmmm -

$306 for this grind from Comp

$325 for custom grind from me.

That's one cheap SOB you have for a friend. LOL

I told him the same thing Ed, Honestly I think its just a lack of knowledge on his behalf...I will be able to get him to come around.

Ed, is your cams as simple as filling out your online form and emailing it to you? Im thinking about picking one up for my 308 and use it with my Dart heads. Maybe when I do this route he will follow suit...

Last edited by Wicked03GT; 01-15-2012 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 02:11 PM   #9
Old timer

Garage
Quote:
I told him the same thing Ed, Honestly I think its just a lack of knowledge on his behalf...I will be able to get him to come around.

Ed, is your cams as simple as filling out your online form and emailing it to you? Im thinking about picking one up for my 308 and use it with my Dart heads. Maybe when I do this route he will follow suit...
Yup - it's that easy. Unless you ask a ton of questions about life, love and the universe.
Old 01-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #10

Wink

Quote:
Yup - it's that easy. Unless you ask a ton of questions about life, love and the universe.
You think he is kidding....
Old 01-16-2012, 07:39 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (0)

I have run one of Ed's cams for the last 5 years,street and brackets ,and it is flat out bad.I will never change it,until I change the combo.One of the smartest things I have ever done.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:14 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (13)

Quote:
If you've got the answers, you can keep my 325 and the cam! I'll call in 5 minutes with my visa!
95 Cobra- QH/LC1, CBAZA/T4MO, TFS 185's, Victor EFI, N-91, FMS 42lb inj, 90mm LMAF, MAC 1 3/4 longtubes, X-pipe, race bullets, 4:30's,coilover/tubular front end, Baseline rear suspension, Draglite big/skinny's with ET Streets!

Perfect is the enemy of very good!
Old 01-17-2012, 02:33 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (0)

Ed also loves it when you order then go back and forth on the combo. Absolutely loves it. I'm surprised he made it through that without throttling me.

Are you sure I should stick with the N351? Can I get this cam to work with a supercharger? What other heads can I run with this cam?

Can't wait to fire this thing up.

Need to send him a bottle of something special just for putting up with me.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:01 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (15)

I'll sum up my experience with the Thumpr line...in my v8 s10 (I know it's a chevy but I use it to haul dirty stuff) , 11 to 1 comp. ratio, 331 small journal, vortec heads and performer rpm intake...spent a good bit buying all the stuff to swap it in...

only to wind up with at MOST 8" of vacuum in park and 5" in drive...after comp had in print at the time and later changed "works with stock converter"...and that was the smallest of the cams!!! They are a COMPLETE waste of money and should never have been purchased, sound should be the least of his concerns.
Old 01-18-2012, 12:26 AM   #15

I think he is more interested in car shows and having that big thumping cam rather than it performing well...
Old 01-18-2012, 12:38 AM   #16

In that case, tell him to get the cam and a dual 4bbl tunnel ram with 1050 dominators. He'll have all the old school "cool" parts on his 306 then and really impress people at car shows. As long as the shows are on a flat surface, anyways. The redneck equivalent of a ricer, imho.

Sorry to be harsh, but spending cash to willfully destroy driveability, gas mileage and go slower at the same time takes a special kind of stupid. Just tell me they didn't give him a gun...

Old 01-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #17

I think the corral needs a car with the WORST possible combination of parts to take the newer members for a ride in to show them how not thinking things through leaves you with less than you started with.
Old 01-18-2012, 05:39 AM   #18

No, what I think the Corral needs is a reality check because not everyone is interested in having a 10 second stock block Mustang. Some people hang out in groups where the progam is all show and who cares about the go. They like "blingy" cars.

Now if someone comes in and wants to hit 12's with a Mother Thumpr cam then you should educate them. But if someone is looking for that sound and only cares about that sound then what's the harm in letting them get it? It's their car after all.
Old 01-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trey LePark View Post
No, what I think the Corral needs is a reality check because not everyone is interested in having a 10 second stock block Mustang. Some people hang out in groups where the progam is all show and who cares about the go. They like "blingy" cars.

Now if someone comes in and wants to hit 12's with a Mother Thumpr cam then you should educate them. But if someone is looking for that sound and only cares about that sound then what's the harm in letting them get it? It's their car after all.
Well said...The last part of your reply is the best part of it all. Its his car, he can do what he wants...
Old 01-18-2012, 02:04 PM   #20

Trader Feedback: (110)

Quote:

All show and no go?Who in their right mind would want to own a V-8 Mustang,want to make it look good or "Bling it out" as some would say,Take the car to a Carshow and at the end of the show get your Bling handed to you by some punk kid in a Kia with a Fartpipe?For the love of God if anyone is gonna modify their motor or Build a Motor do the Research on what you want and what will make the car Perform.Dont just throw some 1/2 as$ combo together for "Thump" and then end up with a slower car than it was stock.Thats just Lame and gives the Ricer boys reason to Laugh at you..If your gonna do it once do it right the FIRST time!!
Old 01-18-2012, 02:47 PM   #21

I was just venting some frustration...if I had those nice parts, I'd be putting them to good use. And you are right about it being his car, but in the original post he's saying he's trying to talk his friend out of the cam and looking for examples to use. I'll try to help where I can and if he wants to run it, cool, just have had personal experience and know they're junk.

Quote:

Old 01-18-2012, 03:33 PM   #22
Old timer

Garage
Quote:

This must be the guy!

Old 01-18-2012, 05:11 PM   #23

It is his car, his right. I was merely voicing my opinion. People do dumb things all the time - this certainly doesn't stop me from forming a personal opinion about them. Heck, I've done some dumb things, too. But never with such abject disregard for logic and with an intentional willingness to fail. I'm sure some will feel the same way, and others won't. It's no skin off my nose either way. That's beauty of asking forums questions like this - people often offer up input, and in this case opinions; and the guy can go do what he wants. But I bet if he puts that cam in, it'll come back out shortly after, or he'll sell the car.

Prime example - in high school, a guy I knew bought an '89 mustang. It was only a year old at the time. The first thing he did was put a full manual PA C4 with a 4,000 stall. The rest of the car was stock. Suffice it to say, it didn't work out real well. He sold it to some unsuspecting kid shortly thereafter. That's "paying it forward" with stupidity. Same thing's gonna happen here.

My $.02.

Old 01-18-2012, 07:23 PM   #24

Trader Feedback: (4)

I have one of Ed's cams in my car. last week the car went 131mph on motor with a way to steep set of gears in it. Joe Racer guy at work told me the cam specs were all wrong for my motor though so I cant recommend Ed to you OP

11.35@119.05 n/a
Old 01-18-2012, 07:55 PM   #25
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (16)

If the guy wants sound and pays for sound, hes a winner right? I have known a TON of guys who wanted nothing more than sound. Didnt care for performance so on and so forth. Guy wants what he wants. What I have found is if you steer a guy in the opposite direction and his cat gets pregnant, mailman loses the mail, tire falls off your on the hook and you are MARRIED to him and his problems FOREVER.

No good deed goes unpunished

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Old 01-18-2012, 11:44 PM   #26

This is the best advice I believe I've gotten on here...I'll bear that in mind when making suggestions to others I don't know from now on...fordstrokers.com they sell me a great balanced 408 rotating assembly and give good advice, why go anywhere else?

Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
If the guy wants sound and pays for sound, hes a winner right? I have known a TON of guys who wanted nothing more than sound. Didnt care for performance so on and so forth. Guy wants what he wants. What I have found is if you steer a guy in the opposite direction and his cat gets pregnant, mailman loses the mail, tire falls off your on the hook and you are MARRIED to him and his problems FOREVER.

No good deed goes unpunished
Old 01-19-2012, 01:01 AM   #27
Corral Elite Member

the x cam has lots of over lap, thats the sound hes wanting, tell him get some LT, h-pipe and flowmaster dumps, then he can sound fast until he come across a 400 hp car, or a sti, lol
331 forged stroker,tfs stage 2 portd 2-1262 tw,tfs-r, nx274hr,75mmtb,80mm pro-m-maf,30#inj., 13/4" lt,3"h-piped to 3" flowmaster dumps,modm-tko900,spec 2+,4:10, stock rear end w/girdle, mm panhard & lowers, welded in floor subframe connectors,battle boxed, manual steering(i hate parking lots & speed bumps),tuned via my ear lol,10k$ paint job(5000$ was hail damage), 2.31-12.15@122@ 3500ft. spinning 275/40/17 cheap chinese tires into 3rd. bullet proof dart 427w build in process.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #28

He done it, purchased a used one he found somewhere on the net...Said he isnt worried about it since he only has $150 in the cam...
Old 01-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #29
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (16)

Good for him and good for you. Let sleeping dogs lie

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:22 AM   #30

Summary...can't fix stupid. Enjoy the "sound"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement