Boss 302 build AKA Clevor....How????? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2011, 01:52 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (6)

Boss 302 build AKA Clevor....How?????

anybody done a 302 clevor??? if so please help, I wanna build a 302 clevor and have some small block fun.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-27-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (16)

A real boss 302 dimensionally or a 302 with cleveland heads?

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-27-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Trader Feedback: (0)

with the abundance of aftermarket heads, and the availability of manifolds, no longer neccessary to build a boss 302 to make block splitting power.

First step if your really intrested in an engine with that sort of fun, an aftermarket block.
Old 04-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #4

kim it seems, from your statement, that this motor type would have been the hot ticket 20 yrs ago. what is the advantage of this clevor?
Old 04-27-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
kim

more like 30 years ago.

Ford performance parts where like hens teeth back in the 60s and 70s. It was either all custom, or modified stock stuff. The reason so many T buckets and "hot rods" have chevy engines in em, is because all aftermarket development went into chevy engines.

For ford purists, we hacked up cleveland heads as they were the biggest holes offured by ford, and stuck em on everything.

The Canted valve heads required specific pistons, and the ford variations of either the huge CC open chamber heads or the small cc closed chamber heads left few build options out there.

The 351C heads have large intake ports and allow a great volume of air into an engine, atop a 302 cu in variant your talking an engine that could breath out to about 10,000 RPM. In those ages, that was a monster. Most of the drag race people that ran em, had valve train issues, and really only spun em to upper 8's and low 9's. But compared to stock stuff comming apart at 4500.. well ya get the aw of the situation.

Exhaust ports have always sucked on a clevland head. Most got the drop floor and much of the exhaust port milled off and had adaptor plates added to make them a high port exhaust port.

Todays aftermarket heads, we have canted valve heads available from CHI, Blue Thunder, and others to take advantage of big valves on the smaller bore engines. We have inline heads that flow damn near as much as the canted valve heads without the piston ring headaches. AFR 225, TW, etc... there are so many aftermarket parts out that are designed to bolt up to modern manifolds, that flow better than the old stock heads, its like asking a hunter to leave a 9x scoped 30-06 and take a spear out hunting....
Old 04-27-2011, 04:39 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (1)

Everybody responded with truth. There is far more capability in the current offerings than ever was available before. And special or rare intakes aren't required and off the shelf headrs are readily available.

However, if you are really wanting to do a cleveland headed small block, there are some things to consider.

1) if this is a 302/5.0L then the motor is very compression crippled. What I mean is that the clearnace volume needs to be quite small. Unless you have some small chamber 4V heads, or aussie 2V heads, or 302 Boss head, you are going to end up very low in the static compression department.

The open chamber heads 4V and 2V have combustion chambers around 76cc's. With the open chamber dome top piston configuration that was available for the cleveland, the compression ratio ended up 11.5 -12:1 When this same dome is used on a 302, the resulting compression is 10:1 at best.

In short, if you are using a open chamber head you are going to be looking at very low compression (8.8:1) if you are attempting to build with a conventional 5.0L piston configuration. If they fly cut it to clear the valves, it will be even lower.

If you use the 302Boss dome top you can acheive around 9.5:1 with the open chambers.

The closed chambered heads are about the only realistic alternative. Just something to think about. You dont just go to a junkyard and grab closed chamber cleveland heads (and they will be 4V heads). and aussi closed chamber 2V heads are not super easy to come by either.

2) No matter how you look at, it you are going to need special parts. intake manifold, headers, pushrods, etc. this stuff is not going to be cheap, unless you can find someone that already has the stuff. You are looking at 300-400 for the intake, and headers realistically wont be less than 300.00, pistons 300 +.

3) now the 4v vs 2V issue. Everybody is going to say you dont want to try the 4v route. I dont think that is necessarily the case. I have worked with both and the problems that come about from the 4v heads, are from the engine combination itself. the camshaft and peripheral components have to be right. You cant take a 275 cfm inlet capability, in a very large slow flowing port (that with a only a little effort can hit 330 cfm- thats the real port capability) stick some 1 5/8 headers, or even 1 3/4 headers, and then typical street machine camshaft in it, not to mention the low compression.

the 4v combination on the 302 needs to have very good inlet flow quality, in otherwords an intake manifold that can work with the huge head (holley strip dominator, parker funnel web etc. if a stock boss intake is all you can get, then so be it, though). the exhaust will need to be suitably large to work. 1 7/8" or 2" headers. even Ford recommended 2" as direct bolt on for the stock boss 302 mustang. then the camshaft will need to be very small, if its a hyd roller, i'm talking like a stock 5.0L cam (210/210/115). this is what will give you good low and mid range cylinder fill and recoup the torque. Do not cripple the air flow by looking at rpm ranges or headers based on hp, you will steer wrong very quickly. Let the the motor have access to everything the heads can do, then let the camshaft tell it how it needs to utilize it.

the 2V works the same way, but the components will be a tad smaller. the old BA stuff is ok. the strip boss was the better of the two, although we used the dual plane on the one we did. then the headers will need to be 1 3/4 and possibly 1 7/8, depending on the combination.

The aftermarket cleveland heads can really bring the port velocities into line, but then you are talking a hefty chunck of money.

What this all comes down to is what are the real gains. In hp/dollar terms it is a huge loss over a conventional windsor style motor.

In the looks department and specialness department the cleveland wins hands down.

a friend had one of the very first BA 2v conversions in a 65 fastback. We were young and dumb. It was all wrong. I think it ran low 8's in the 1/8. But man did it look good.

Since then I have been involved in some 9.2 deck builds and the big port stuff will work well on the very street oriented situations, but it has to be right, or it will suffer from all the woes that everyone is going to talk about regarding large port motors.

Last edited by buddy rawls; 04-27-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:50 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (3)

These are all good points from very knowledgeable people. I did build one of these engines within the past year based on a Ford Racing Boss block and a forged bottom end I bought from Ford Strokers.com, including the pistons cut for Cleveland valves. I wanted something a little different, and I really like how it turned out. The intake was the tricky part, I found only two choices for it, one a dual plane and one a single plane. I had a build thread on here, My Boss 331
It covered most of the build, but I had many more pictures and information elsewhere. So if you haven't been talked out of the idea, feel free to ask me any questions about how it went.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:20 AM   #8

Garage
If I was to build a Boss 302 based engine it would be a neutral balance 363 stroker with the 3V CHI heads, and a custom EFI intake based off a tunnel ram. We built a 320 using a real Boss 302 with FMS A3 heads, this was many years ago though.
Old 04-28-2011, 01:28 AM   #9
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Build as many cubic inches as possible would be my suggestion, thats why I asked if you were building a 302 inch dimensional correct boss 302 because you are buying 5.155 rods and pistons, so it would be silly not to simply build a 347 as all you would need is a crank because you have to buy rods and pistons to begin with.

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Old 04-28-2011, 01:30 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by strokeme View Post
Build as many cubic inches as possible would be my suggestion, thats why I asked if you were building a 302 inch dimensional correct boss 302 because you are buying 5.155 rods and pistons, so it would be silly not to simply build a 347 as all you would need is a crank because you have to buy rods and pistons to begin with.
+1
I'm with Woody!
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 PM   #11

I have a 289 block with 5.155 rods a 3 inch crank and 351-4V cleveland heads closed chambers. just need pistons thats why I was really thinking hard in doing this build. just something really diffrent for a change.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:16 PM   #12

where can I get the stroker combo?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:21 PM   #13
kim

block will #### itself long before the heads are used.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement