Ford Mustang Forums banner

Budget 347 Project *1/23/2011*

20K views 159 replies 29 participants last post by  96steeda 
#1 · (Edited)
Budget 347 Project *6/24/2011*

The wife wants the 93 hatch out of the garage and running again, music to my ears. Over the past 10 years I have bought my fair share of mustangs and still have tons of junk left over. My stockish motor recently took a dump, so now its time to tear it down and recreate it better than ever. I took inventory of some of the better items in my garage to use for the rebuild.

4/9/2012 Parts List Update:
Stock 5.0L Block (Sonic and Pressure Tested, Clearanced)
ARP Head Bolts and Main Studs
KB 246 Pistons
Scat 3.400in. Cast Steel Crank
Scat 5.4in. Forged 4340 I-Beam Rods (ARP Bolts, Shot-peened, Magnafluxed, Weight Matched, Floating)
Ford Motorsport F-303 Camshaft
Custom FTI Camshaft
Crane Cobra 1.7 Rockers
TMOSS Fully Ported GT40 Lower
Down's Ford Breadbox Upper Ported 75MM Opening
TMOSS Ported Holley Systemax II Intake
THUMPER Fully Ported GT40X (X306) Heads
Trick Flow Intake Spacer
95 Mustang Rails with Kirban Adj. FPR
75MM TB and 75MM EGR Spacer
60LB Motorsport Injectors EV6 to EV1
255 Walbro Fuel Pump
MSD Distributor and Coil
90MM LMAF
4 inch AFM Powerpipe
Stewart Water Pump
Manual Rack
March Pulleys and Brackets
3G Alternator
Contour Fans
Mishimoto Aluminum Radiator
1 5/8 OBX Longtubes w/ 2 1/2 OBX off-road H-Pipe
Flowmaster American Thunder Cat-back
A9L + Moates QuarterHorse + Binary Editor + Innovate LC-1
4.30 Gears

There are probably some mismatched parts but I think I have a good start on a fun weekend car. Please let me know what you think of my combo. I'm not looking for any #'s just something fun that can keep up with the flow of traffic. :)

Attachments

See less See more
2 1
#2 ·
Should be a stout street motor making around 325rwhp depending on your tune. Will need 24lb injectors minimum I would think. A box upper would be my only concern with those heads, cam, and the fact that it's a street car that you don't want to rev the piss out of. Everything but the upper sounds like a 2,000-6,000rpm combo. Could be wrong with the added cubes of a 347 though. May not be a big deal?

#4 ·
I'm going to give the Box a try just for giggles. Its a timepiece and maybe will wake up if I added nitrous to the car.

I need a MAF, Injectors and TB. I'll be browsing the classifieds in the near future. Thanks for the heads up on the 24s.

#3 ·
My first 347 was pretty similar. I had ported E7s with 1.94 valves, TFS STG 1 cam, 70mm TB, and a Typhoon intake. It ran 13s @ 105 with bald street tires and 3.08 gears.

#6 ·
FWIW regarding a MAF since you have to get one anyway:

I know this is somewhat common knowledge to many on this forum, but I just discovered it myself a few weeks ago. My car had some minor idle and low rpm issues with the stock rubber intake elbow, 73mm C&L MAF, and Moroso cold air/inside the fender filter.

When I swapped to an aluminum elbow and went back to the stock style airbox with panel filter, the car responded in a very positive manner. Overall low rpm driveability and throttle response much better.

I guess what I'm suggesting is go with a quality MAF sensor of your choosing, make sure it's calibrated for whatever injectors you pick, use a good aluminum elbow, and run the stock airbox with a high flow panel air filter.

Again, a lot of folks know this and you may be one of them. If not, it will save you a ton of headaches and annoying driveability problems if you run this setup right off the bat. My .02 cents, just saying what I know works. Others may have success with different combos...

#7 ·
Most of the meters are not just calibrated for a particular size injector. They're also set up to read mass/flow correctly with a certain inlet air piping set up. Any variation that causes the air to hit the hot wire differently than they were set up for can cause problems. So - fan wash, elbows in front of the meter, etc. --- all those kinds of things can cause problems that are difficult to diagnose. But often come back to a fundamental misunderstandings about how the maf and ecu are supposed to 'talk' to each other. This is why 'clocking' certain meters sometimes helps or can resolve certain problems related to how the air hits the hot wire.

#8 ·
Is that basically why my car picked up so much when going back to the factory airbox? Since C&Ls use the factory electronics? Makes sense right? I'm sure the aluminum elbow helped as well since the stock one could have been collapsing slightly and is smaller? Sorry for hijacking, but this may very well help the OP

#9 ·
I updated the original post.

Got my hands on a set of 2001-2004 (grey) LS1 28lb @ 58psi EV1 injectors for free from my friend. Same connectors and length so looks like a bolt on. Will these work with my build? I know we dont run that high of a fuel pressure so the flow will be reduced.

The budget continues...

#10 ·
I have some cash to play with now that the build is coming to a close. I ended up saving a ton of money on this project than expected. Anyone have a good idea on an off the shelf camshaft that would work better than the F303? Something more efficient with better street manners.

#11 ·
of the FMS cams i like the Fcam best id say stick with it and spend the cash on head studs, quality ARP fasteners, header bolts, intake etc....

#13 ·
Made some great progress this weekend now that all my parts are back from the machine shop.

Assembled the KB 246 pistons to the worked set of floating 5.4 I-beams.

Notched, final honed, and cleaned with soap/engine brush set.

Dropped in the Summit/Scat 3.4 inch stroker crank and torqued the ARP main studs down.

Filed rings, checked bearing clearances, installed pistons/rods, and f303 cam.

Installed new pump, pickup, and Canton windage tray.

#16 ·
Thanks guys its coming quicker these past few weeks. Still have to piece together some final air/fuel parts but thats the fun part once its all back in the car.

mains - .0022-23
rods - .0020-21
piston to wall .0025 - running the kb piston a little tighter compared to a traditional forged unit

I used my mic and bore gauge to measure. I did setup some plastigauge on the first main just to make sure I wasn't too drunk to take accurate measurements.

As for the oil pump:

Summit brand pump

#17 ·
mains - .0022-23
rods - .0020-21
piston to wall .0025 - running the kb piston a little tighter compared to a traditional forged unit

I used my mic and bore gauge to measure. I did setup some plastigauge on the first main just to make sure I wasn't too drunk to take accurate measurements.
Looks good. How well did the plastigauge corrolate to the mic readings?

Thanks
Paul

#19 ·
You read my mind. If its too sluggish part throttle I may get a better matched upper or just drop a KB on top :)

*Update 4/5/2011*
Vortech Fuel Rails
75MM TB and 75MM EGR Spacer
36LB Injectors
LMAF
QuarterHorse + A9P

Car is reaching the final stages of assembly. Hope to have it running by the end of the month.

#20 ·
Made some great progress on my project this week.

Got the GT40 heads back from Revenge Power in Hollywood, FL.

Engine and Transmission are bolted down.

TMOSS GT40 lower dusted off.

I had no time to get the valvetrain set because the wife was nagging me to go buy something for her mother for mother's day. But I had to see what this car is going to look like when its done. So here is the mock-up.

I still have quite a bit of assembly left, but at least I'm not waiting on anyone. The rockers and lifters are soaking overnight in oil and I'll be checking valve clearance today. I'm hoping to have this car running in the coming weeks. My friend and I are heading to Tampa for a 2 day advanced ECU tuning class next weekend. Hopefully when I return I'll be ready for the dyno.

#23 ·
Budget 347 Project *6/5/2011*

Here are a couple of progress photos from this weekends garage event. I opened up my downs upper to match the 75mm TB which I still need to install. Only a few more weekends and this car should be running. I have a new mini starter, 140 amp alternator, manual rack/steering shaft, CFR pullies/bracket kit, 90MM LMAF, AFM Power Pipe, and an aluminum radiator left in boxes.

#25 ·
Birthday Update 6/23

Well I spent my birthday yesterday working on the car. Decided to take the day off of work and enjoy myself in the garage. I was able to finish the last of the dirty work as I removed the old exhaust and replaced it with the new h-pipe and tailpipes. Manual steering is now in place as well as the accessory brackets, pulleys, alternator, AFM Powerpipe, LMAF, and radiator. I'm hoping to have a running car again this weekend so I can start the tuning process.

#39 ·
Well I spent my birthday yesterday working on the car. Decided to take the day off of work and enjoy myself in the garage. I was able to finish the last of the dirty work as I removed the old exhaust and replaced it with the new h-pipe and tailpipes. Manual steering is now in place as well as the accessory brackets, pulleys, alternator, AFM Powerpipe, LMAF, and radiator. I'm hoping to have a running car again this weekend so I can start the tuning process.

If you don't mind me asking; who's valve covers. BTW; nice build. Just need some time-slips to "cap" it off.

#27 ·
I got lucky and scored a set of X306 heads still new in the box very cheap from a friend who got rid of his project car. The first thing that came to mind was to get these things in the hands of good ol' Thumper!

I shipped the heads off to Mike today and with any luck I'll have them back in my hands in a few weeks.

I'm excited and hope this helps my build a little more than the GT40 irons. I know AFR would have been a great upgrade but I'll see what happens. Live and Learn.

GO THUMPER! Lets see what those magic hands can do.

#28 ·
Are my calculations correct for CR?

Bore/Stroke: 4.040 x 3.40
Head Gasket Bore: 4.100
Head Gasket Thickness: .042
Head CC: 64
Flat Tops with Reliefs: -6.5
0 Deck

CR = 9:97 : 1

I'm thinking of putting on a KB 2.1 as my budget is spiraling out of control.

I have a left over Devil's Own MAF Stage 2 kit with 4 gallons of mix that is dying for boost.

#31 · (Edited)
Thank you sir!

Aaakkkk at the blue paint. Other than that, looks like a fun machine. Heck, I say put the Explorer intake on top and make people think its stock :cool:.
LOL I'll update the pics in a few weeks once Thumper is done with the GT40X heads. I promise the new heads won't be painted blue. I haven't really decided on an upper as all I have to work with right now is the Down's Box. I'll probably switch it out soon.

#32 ·
I just got an email that my heads are shipping from Thumper Performance! Mike kept his word about meeting my timeline of Aug 1st. I'm impressed with the quick turnaround and will praise him any chance I get. Not to bash other hard workers, but its rare that I come across someone in the racing world that actually sticks to their promise.

I had the car running on the gt40 irons so I don't see it taking me that long to swap them out. Its time to tune and get to the track!

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.