Oil Pressure so high it blows the dipstick out! - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (11)

Oil Pressure so high it blows the dipstick out!

What could be causing that and how do I fix it??
BBK CAI, BBK 75mm TB, TFS Track Heat U/L w/ 1" spacer, MSD Cap Rotor 8.5mm SC's, Fidanza AL/FW, Centerforce DF Clutch, Rebuilt T5, Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda Clutch Cable Quadrant, Lakewood Bellhousing, U/D Pulleys, 3.73s, MT ET Street DRs, BBK LT headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, AC/Smog delete (shorter belt)
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (15)

If the dipstick pops out under full throttle its not oil pressure, its crankcase pressure

TONS of Build Photos Ck at Facebook

Make sure to sign up for
SBFBuilding.com The single most exciting thing to happen to the small block ford community in a LONG TIME.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (45)

It's NOT high oil pressure, It's blowby(Bad compression rings)!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #4

Even if I'm not forced induction? My oil pressure gauge is pegged. Even at idle. Plus there's no oil being burnt...
BBK CAI, BBK 75mm TB, TFS Track Heat U/L w/ 1" spacer, MSD Cap Rotor 8.5mm SC's, Fidanza AL/FW, Centerforce DF Clutch, Rebuilt T5, Steeda Tri-Ax, Steeda Clutch Cable Quadrant, Lakewood Bellhousing, U/D Pulleys, 3.73s, MT ET Street DRs, BBK LT headers, BBK Catted X Pipe, AC/Smog delete (shorter belt)

Last edited by kpoirot; 09-17-2010 at 04:06 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpoirot View Post
Even if I'm not forced induction? My oil pressure gauge is pegged. Even at idle. Plus there's no oil being burnt...
Blowby it combustion gasses going past the rings into the oilpan. Thereby pressurizing the crankcase and blowing out your dipstick, rearmain, vc gaskets or oilpan gasket. Time for new rings!!!
Old 09-17-2010, 04:41 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (10)

what if someone didn't have their pcv hooked up or the line from the vc to tb and there was no real "vent" or circulation for the crankcase? He should idle the car and take the dipstick out and maybe check if anything is blowing out?
Old 09-17-2010, 05:27 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

Im curious if theres any other causes for this as well. I have just a click over 100k on the motor and theres no visual smoke being burnt coming out the tailpipes, but every once in awhile i check the dipstick and its not in all the way. I wondered if it was the pcv... but then again, my vc gasket on the left bank is leaking.... power seems good, ill do a compression test i suppose
Old 09-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #8

Trader Feedback: (1)

There's no other cause other than blow-by.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
rob

Trader Feedback: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilfox View Post
There's no other cause other than blow-by.
No other cause?
Old 09-17-2010, 06:49 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob View Post
No other cause?
No, there wouldn't be enough pressure from the rotating system to push the ds out. If it was a big stroker maybe. But I doubt it.

As for no oil out the tailpipes, it's because the combustion it blowing it out into the oilpan and not sucking it up.
Old 09-17-2010, 07:49 PM   #11

Are you saying that bad ring seal will cause the bottom end to be pressurized???
Old 09-17-2010, 08:04 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by d347643 View Post
Are you saying that bad ring seal will cause the bottom end to be pressurized???
WINNER, WINNER, WINNER...(assuming its not vented properly).
Old 09-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #13

if he has the pcv hooked up (assuming its not plugged up) and also the line going from the vc to tb then there is no way the bottom end will become pressurized. If it became pressurized then I don't know if the dipstick is necessary the first place for things to shoot out....we're talking about more than just a few psi to cause this. Don't know about you guys but it'd take a good amount of pressure to blow my stock dipstick out. Yes, I've heard of boosted cars shooting them out but come on......NA?? How about his rear main? How about his vc gaskets? Combustion happens and forces air past his "loose" rings and then just builds up and up and???? You don't think it would bleed back past the rings on the next intake stroke?
Old 09-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (7)

Excessive crankcase pressure is what pushes out dipsticks. It finds the weakest link - the weakest link ain't the same thing on every engine.
Old 09-17-2010, 08:59 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
Excessive crankcase pressure is what pushes out dipsticks. It finds the weakest link - the weakest link ain't the same thing on every engine.
Exactly. It would help to know your oil pressure and more about your motor. Strokers can easily push the dipstick up and out of the tube a good 1-8 inches or more. We need more info to help you.
398, Hydraulic roller 248/252 @ 50 total being 597/608, Victor Jr intake, AFR 225 heads, Pro Systems Carb, T56, 4.10's, Detriot Locker, 31 spline strange axles, 9'' housing ends, 98 GT front brakes, 96 cobra rear disc, Pa Racing K member, Strange 10 way struts, Coilovers, back Koni's
Old 09-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #16

There is a reason your crank case pressure is so high that it is blowing the dipstick out of the tube. The problem is most likely with your pcv valve. If the pcv valve does not open properly pressure will build in the crank case, thus pushing your dipstick out. If your engine is not heavily modified you should be able to get by with a pcv valve or just using a breather.
Old 09-18-2010, 12:33 AM   #17

so if I somehow put a pressure sensor on the filler cap and datalogged it during high load and wot there would actually be pressure? Constant pressure or would it be pulsing or???? I know there are a lot of variables but I wonder how much pressure..
Old 09-18-2010, 07:37 AM   #18

Trader Feedback: (7)

Tell us how much blowby there is and how effective or ineffective your crankcase ventilation system is and we'll tell you have much crankcase pressure there is. SOME cylinder pressure bleeds by/blows by the rings each time each piston goes up and fires. As rpm increases the blow-by which technically is 'pulsed' into the crankcase cylinder by cylinder appears, as a practical matter, as 'pressure' in the crankcase. The crankcase ventilation system is designed to deal with the crankcase pressure that blow-by creates. As the engine ages, or as mods are done to increase cylinder pressure (peak cylinder pressure occurs at peak torque) blow-by increases. As blow-by increases crankcase pressure has the potential to increase IF the crankcase ventilation system isn't capable of dealing with the excess pressure. Clogged or partially clogged PCV valves, oil traps/screens are a contributing factor. Engine age contributes. Modifications that increase peak torque contribute. Boost and/or significant displacement increases both can contribute significantly to increased crankcase pressure --- because more cylinder pressure (boost) and more displacement can contribute to increased blow-by.

If the crankcase pressure being generated overwhelms the ventilation system then the pressure finds the weakpoint. Sometimes it's an already leaking valve cover gasket. Sometimes it's a front main or rear main seal. Sometimes is pushes the PCV valve up out of the grommet. Sometimes it's the dipstick. Sometimes it does a little of each. Or, like a Chinese menu, pick 2. Or pick 3.

What it's not -- is rocket surgery.

Last edited by Michael Yount; 09-18-2010 at 07:44 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement