Foxbody Ignition wiring harness help needed - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2010, 01:46 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

Foxbody Ignition wiring harness help needed

I had some starter issues on my '88 GT that had me replace the starter, the solenoid, trace and clean the ground and starter wire and connectors. The starter turns over if I supply positive to the ignition lead post on the solenoid. Last night I opened the steering column and found that the Ignition switch was burned and the Wiring harness plug is melted.

I called the dealer and they said that their records don't show that my VIN needs the recall work.

What does eveyone recommend to fix this issue? Sauter a new plug on the existing harness? Replace the entire harness. Someone suggested getting one from Painless Wiring but I don't see it on their web catalog.

Anyone had to do this before? What's involved?
TIA
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2010, 02:39 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (39)

go to your local ford/lincoln mercury dealer and get 2 parts
part # SW-2474 AND WPT368
ignition switch and repair harness the harness has new wires that are about 12 inches long so you can splice them to your harness. the harness is a little high priced but it's original equipment quality.

Last edited by kevinmsvt; 07-21-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-21-2010, 02:56 PM   #3

That sounds manageable. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:00 PM   #4

Not common, but not unheard of by any means for steering column ignition
switch to go out.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #5

Any thing I should be looking for in the meantime, such as what may have caused this in the first place? Or just feel confident that it should be good to go (after replacing the harness) since I've replaced or cleaned everything else in the system?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:17 PM   #6

I called the local Dealer parts dept and they didn't show a harness part for that year. I gave them the WPT368 number and he said that is for an '03 model. Does that make any sense?
Old 07-21-2010, 03:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsscout View Post
I called the local Dealer parts dept and they didn't show a harness part for that year. I gave them the WPT368 number and he said that is for an '03 model. Does that make any sense?
i am a parts manager at a lincoln dealer and most counter people are fricken idiot's just order it and ignore the douchbag behind the counter lol
it's the right part.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by smsscout View Post
Any thing I should be looking for in the meantime, such as what may have caused this in the first place? Or just feel confident that it should be good to go (after replacing the harness) since I've replaced or cleaned everything else in the system?
it's a very common prob....why do you think there was a recall on this very same switch? ford didn't cover every car with this switch for some unknown reason but i bought an 88 gt for $1500.00 because the switch was burned up and the dude didn't have a clue how to fix it.
Old 07-21-2010, 03:36 PM   #9

LOL, That's what I wanted to hear! Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement