1986 5.0 same pistons as 1989 ? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-10-2010, 08:04 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

1986 5.0 same pistons as 1989 ?

do all 1986 5.0,s have the same rotating assembley as 1989 5.0,s

Thanks!!!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-10-2010, 08:05 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (115)

The '86's had flat top pistons. '87 -93 have 4 valve reliefs.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-10-2010, 08:33 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankstang View Post
The '86's had flat top pistons. '87 -93 have 4 valve reliefs.
Yeah, what he said. Everything but the pistons should be the same.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:05 AM   #4

Trader Feedback: (7)

"Everything but the pistons should be the same."

No - the '86 had different heads too - the dreaded E6's - which allowed use of the different pistons.
Old 01-10-2010, 09:29 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (104)

Yep.Flat tops on the '86....REALLY flat.I have an '86 engine now with an E303 cam and ported E-7 heads.The car runs strong and great,and Hasn't given me any troubles at all,but,I'm sure I've pushed the PTV limits about as far as I can without a bunch of bent push rods.LOL..
'88 Tbird..GT40-P,T-5,GT-40 intake,Ported heads,Cobra 1.7 rockers,3G,Mass Air with 24's,65mm t-body,140 mph speedo,8.8 with 3.55's,BBK shorties,smog delete,mini starter,Pypes X-Pipe, Dynomax stainless mufflers,Deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Taurus fan,CHE control arms
Old 01-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #6

The OP asked about the rotating assembly, not the heads...
Old 01-10-2010, 09:55 AM   #7

gimmie a "N"
Old 01-10-2010, 10:14 AM   #8

I thought the "rotating" assembly included the pistons.
'88 Tbird..GT40-P,T-5,GT-40 intake,Ported heads,Cobra 1.7 rockers,3G,Mass Air with 24's,65mm t-body,140 mph speedo,8.8 with 3.55's,BBK shorties,smog delete,mini starter,Pypes X-Pipe, Dynomax stainless mufflers,Deep and deeper Cobra R wheels,Taurus fan,CHE control arms
Old 01-10-2010, 10:20 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnietbird View Post
I thought the "rotating" assembly included the pistons.

It does...But the heads are not part of the rotating assembly. Crank, Rods, and Pistons are...
Old 01-10-2010, 10:23 AM   #10

I agree,but I didn't include heads as the "rotating" assembly (I said pistons),and,by the title of the thread,he asks of pistons,so,any info other than just what was asked may help as well until we know what exactly he has plans on doing.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 AM   #11

Vinnie...Im not talking about you referring to the heads...Look a couple post before yours, I'm talking about Mr. Yount's post...
Old 01-10-2010, 10:38 AM   #12

No worries,I saw the quote of my comment and went from there.I'm cool,no ill intent at all.Just talking.I'm not one to be easily offended like many that freak over the smallest comment.I was just trying to clarify .All is good.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:47 AM   #13

Trader Feedback: (27)

two questions

Originally asked was the pistons, next question asked about the rotating assembly.
If you read much on here, maybe you, like me, would value the extra bit of advice from Michael Yount.
So, here we go again with all the experts: maybe the OP is not that informed
like I think others on here. Just take it as a tidbit of advice, or dont comment when someone else is trying to help a guy.
MikeR
Old 01-10-2010, 12:24 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (2)

Were 85 and 86 the same engine? What about the engines used in the F-150/Bronco?

Were the earlier pistons also forged, and the only difference was the valve reliefs?
Old 01-10-2010, 01:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRussoniello View Post
Originally asked was the pistons, next question asked about the rotating assembly.
If you read much on here, maybe you, like me, would value the extra bit of advice from Michael Yount.
like I think others on here. Just take it as a tidbit of advice, or dont comment when someone else is trying to help a guy.
MikeR

I wasn't trying to discredit what Mr. Yount said, i was just saying that heads were not mentioned by the OP. I value all the info that i learn from all the site's i frequent, not just the corral. And i am far from any expert, but i was trying to help the OP also. Unlike you, the only thing you have added is a smart azz comment. So you are the one who needs to refrain from making comments when other people are trying to help.
Old 01-10-2010, 02:37 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray III View Post
Were 85 and 86 the same engine? What about the engines used in the F-150/Bronco?
I think they used whatever they had laying around in the trucks. I've heard of 1990 F150s having E6 heads but my '95 F150 has E7s. I just had the valve covers off of a 1986 F150 5.0 and I was so mortified by what I saw I didn't think to see what heads it had.

Old 01-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (9)

My buddy just tore down an 86 GT, it had flat-top pistons with valve reliefs. I've seen flat-tops with and without the reliefs, just wondering myself. Is it a "true" flat-top without reliefs for the 86? Here is a pic of his 86 motor...
Old 01-10-2010, 03:33 PM   #18

I'm mostly curious about the rotating assembly, whatever heads are on there can be replaced but the pistons are going to be a factor in that.

Gonna take my engine out for an oil pan, maybe I can get some information off the undersides of the pistons.
Old 01-10-2010, 03:52 PM   #19
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (92)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeRussoniello View Post
MikeR
Very well said sir, X-2 , a lil extra info never hurt anything imho, I for one welcome it, never know what the op is working with, or tryin to smoke over .

Rick
Old 01-10-2010, 10:01 PM   #20

I don't think it's the extra information anyone has a problem with; it's when that information is presented in a way that condescends to other posters. It kind of gets on people's nerves when someone "corrects" them when they didn't even say anything wrong in the first place.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:12 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Blue Hatch View Post
Yeah, what he said. Everything but the pistons should be the same.

Look nimrod your the one that said everything else is the same and that is not a true statment because the heads are different like he said.
3020 lbs with driver<--was with aluminum heads.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy85merc View Post
My buddy just tore down an 86 GT, it had flat-top pistons with valve reliefs. I've seen flat-tops with and without the reliefs, just wondering myself. Is it a "true" flat-top without reliefs for the 86? Here is a pic of his 86 motor...
I promise those are not the stock pistons for an 86gt in that motor. Those look like stock rebuild replacement pistons.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by white-stang View Post
Look nimrod your the one that said everything else is the same and that is not a true statment because the heads are different like he said.
That's just how he is, he hangs out with the LSX crowd. All he does is argue with everybody.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by jds95 View Post
I promise those are not the stock pistons for an 86gt in that motor. Those look like stock rebuild replacement pistons.
That's what I told him, but they are flat-tops...just have reliefs. I actually had a motor from an 84 lincoln, it had those same pistons...but it wasn't a roller motor. I did a search on the web looking for pics of the 86 flat-tops...turned up nothing.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:44 PM   #25

Trader Feedback: (11)

Quote:
That's what I told him, but they are flat-tops...just have reliefs. I actually had a motor from an 84 lincoln, it had those same pistons...but it wasn't a roller motor. I did a search on the web looking for pics of the 86 flat-tops...turned up nothing.
86 ho pistons are flat, just flat, no valve reliefs, no dome, just flat. those are probably replacement cast pistons.
Current project: 1931 Model A Ford tudor sedan, rat rodish with 2.3 turbo 5 speed
Old 01-10-2010, 11:12 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90 Crustang LX View Post
86 ho pistons are flat, just flat, no valve reliefs, no dome, just flat. those are probably replacement cast pistons.
Uhmmmmm, does that mean they're flat? LOL. I was just saying those (in the pic) came out of an 86 GT two weeks ago, I couldn't find any pics of an actual 86 piston, can you? I've heard they are flat, just can't find solid evidence.
Old 01-10-2010, 11:36 PM   #27

Quote:
Uhmmmmm, does that mean they're flat? LOL. I was just saying those (in the pic) came out of an 86 GT two weeks ago, I couldn't find any pics of an actual 86 piston, can you? I've heard they are flat, just can't find solid evidence.
Haha well just use your imagination and imagine those pistons without the valve reliefs, that would be what the factory 86 gt pistons would look like. The pictured pistons are not original to the car. I have some pics of an open 86 motor somewhere, I'll dig for em.

edit: eh i cant find pics of the top of the pistons, just the undersides and the cylinders without pistons
Current project: 1931 Model A Ford tudor sedan, rat rodish with 2.3 turbo 5 speed

Last edited by 90 Crustang LX; 01-11-2010 at 12:00 AM. Reason: im dumb
Old 01-11-2010, 12:52 AM   #28

if the block came with a E-6 head, then it had the full flat top pistons that had no dish or eyebrow reliefs at all.
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 01-11-2010, 01:48 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering View Post
if the block came with a E-6 head, then it had the full flat top pistons that had no dish or eyebrow reliefs at all.
I have 2 motors here that came with e6 heads and have flat top with valve relief cast pistons, non mustang motors obviously though
Old 01-11-2010, 01:56 AM   #30

then for the nit pickey junkyard engine types..

I SHOULD HAVE ADDED,

that only the engines that came in the mustangs were this mannor..

it is well documented that the E-6 heads were installed on many other various engines in other body / trucks that had eyebrow cut pistons ...most were not a full flat top nor were they a forged type of piston...thus,... they were cast or hypers...some were installed in / on blocks that had the spyder hole=ddowns HOLES drilled but they came with a flat tappet cast iron cam core....NOT A HYDRAULIC ROLLER....

and then also,

there were quite a few engines that were repaired/ rebuilt or replaced...and who knows what was actually installed by the time that the engine / car ended up at the JUNKYARD.....
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 01-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kato Engineering View Post
then for the nit pickey junkyard engine types..

I SHOULD HAVE ADDED,

it is well documented that the E-6 heads were installed on many other various engines in other body / trucks that had eyebrow cut pistons ...most were not a full flat top nor were they a forged type of piston...thus,... they were cast or hypers...some were installed in / on blocks that had the spyder hole=ddowns HOLES drilled but they came with a flat tappet cast iron cam core....NOT A HYDRAULIC ROLLER....

and then also,

there were quite a few engines that were repaired/ rebuilt or replaced...and who knows what was actually installed by the time that the engine / car ended up at the JUNKYARD.....
I dint mean to be nit picky but you made it seem that all e6 headed motors had the smooth flat tops as in the HO.

And both of these e6 headed motors with the flat-top-with-eyebrow relief cast pistons do indeed have hydraulic roller cams. I figured I was the first to open them up because of the ford/fel-pro head gaskets
Old 01-11-2010, 02:39 AM   #32

Quote:
I SHOULD HAVE ADDED,

'86 and early 87 Mark VII's with the H.O. as well....
Old 07-17-2011, 05:47 PM   #33

Trader Feedback: (1)

i know this is an old post but i am going to put up pics of pistons from an 86 gt that i personally tore down and then pics of the pistons that i believe are in that 86 that dy85merc's buddy had.

Factory FlatTops

96 Explorer Pistons

Last edited by 89CamminGT; 07-18-2011 at 02:47 AM. Reason: missing words LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement