Do I need to use sealer with paper gaskets? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (9)

Do I need to use sealer with paper gaskets?

I have a felpro engine set i am using for my engine rebuild. Do I need to use any type of sealer on the paper gaskets for the timing cover, water pump, etc.? If I do what do you recomend using.

Also what type of sealer is recomended for the front and back of the intake instead of the cork gaskets?

thanks
1986 GT 5spd, Vortech S-trim, 3:55, BBK longtubes and H-pipe, Subframe connectors, Mac mufflers, Accel Coil, Custom paint, Hurst short throw, Rebuilt bottom end, GT40 irons, TFS1, Cobra upper and lower, 42's, LMAF, SCT chip tuned by SGS Automotive, AEM Meth and widband, UPR Powerpipe 26000 miles.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 03:44 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (-1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 eyed mustang View Post
I have a felpro engine set i am using for my engine rebuild. Do I need to use any type of sealer on the paper gaskets for the timing cover, water pump, etc.? If I do what do you recomend using.

Also what type of sealer is recomended for the front and back of the intake instead of the cork gaskets?

thanks
I just use black RTV on the intake to block rails. I spread it on nice and even all the way across, allow it to set for 10 min until it has a tacky feel then drop the intake on. I use four old intake bolts with heads cut off so installed in the corners so they become like locating dowels.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-20-2009, 06:43 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (2)

i use "the right stuff" it holds like oem for water pump, lower intake to heads(especially front and back lower instead of cork), thermostat housing, etc. been using it since it first came out and never had a leak.

just make sure the sufaces are prepped, cleaned, and dry.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

Hylomar gasket sealer would work great for the timing cover,water pump gaskets and intake gaskets.

I used silicone rubber lower intake end seals and have no leaks.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Banned

Trader Feedback: (-1)

i use rtv black on my lower intake ends, and on the timing cover

abd rtv blue on the water pump. no paper gaskets for me
AdderMk2 is banned  
Old 08-20-2009, 08:15 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (17)

I use grey silicone on the front and back of the intake and throw the rubber or cork ones away and i also use grey silicone everywhere else and no leaks
Old 08-20-2009, 10:55 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

Use the FelPro gaskets and spray them with HiTack or brush with Ford PerfectSeal!
Works great and no leaks or mess.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement