Car wont start but starts and runs fine with starter fluid?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2009, 12:18 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

Car wont start but starts and runs fine with starter fluid??

Bought an 88 mustang 5.0 5speed stock besides lt headers the car will start with a shot of starter fluid and then seems to run fine it will only start without the starter fluid if I prime it key on and key off several times and even then only sometimes but once i shoot alittle starter fluid it starts and runs fine but then usually will not restart without it im thinking the pump is on its way it out the fp gauge I rented didnt work to well. The car was sitting for about a year and a half and it was on empty when I got it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-06-2009, 06:37 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (18)

Change the filter, check the pressure, maybe change the regulator. All are things I would do to any car that's been sitting.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:02 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (9)

well that means your not getting enough fuel or any...ensure pump turns on with key on and that there is pressure in the rails...
Old 08-06-2009, 12:25 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (16)

As said, get an accurate gauge to read FP. It definitely seems to be a fuel delivery issue.
Old 08-06-2009, 12:59 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (7)

Old fuel or new fuel?
Old 08-06-2009, 01:00 PM   #6

It very well could be the fuel pump sock is full of trash. Especially since the tank has been empty for a while. I would turn the key on and check to make sure you have fuel at the scrader valve on the fuel line right before the rail. Make sure that's holding good constant pressure.

Also I would change out the fuel filter in the back of the car. That's only a few bucks at your local parts store for a new one. Get a good fuel pressure gauge and make 110% sure you are getting fuel in the rails. If the pump is getting fuel into the rails then check your regulator and injectors. I have seen a stock regulator go bad after a car sat for over a year without being started.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:07 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (1)

Did a fuel pressure test on the car and it got around 40 cranking which is good and then I shot in some starter fluid to start it then at idle it sits around 32 psi then goes to like 40 or so when u rev it but when I shut the car off I noticed the guage fell right away so a sudden drop in pressure with key off I tryed replacing the regulator and that didnt help either im totally stumped...... car starts with the starter fluid everytime pings alittle on startup and runs and drives fun.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:13 PM   #8

The pressure drop can be a stuck open injectors, or a bad check valve in the pump.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:59 PM   #9

Trader Feedback: (29)

Check the distributor cap. Pull it off and clean the rotor & contacts w/ some scotch brite or similar.
I had this happen to me from letting a car sit up, i could start it w/ fluid and it had enough spark to keep it running but it just couldn't light off the gas by itself.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:10 AM   #10

Trader Feedback: (3)

pump is loosing its prime, it has a bad check valve in it..i just replaced one last week..it even had good pressure at the rail..cycled it on off a few times..it may start..etc..checked the pressure it would go up then 0..changed the pump...the gas now gas is 10% meth and its killing the pumps--seals--valves in the pump..bet i have changed 100 pumps in various pre 1996 model car-trucks over this exact reason..its the pump
Old 08-07-2009, 10:50 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0mustang5speed View Post
Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem" -- Ronald Reagan
http://www.angelfire.com/ca/dickg/marinesquote.html

T
Sponsored Links
Advertisement