Alternator Wiring , Where do they go? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2009, 11:33 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (9)

Alternator Wiring , Where do they go?

Long of the short, i bought my 90 awhile ago and it came with a 3g alternator on it...the charging has never seemed right and im pretty sure whoever wired it up did it wrong.... long of the short, all thats connected to my alternator is a power wire to the solenoid like there should be, and one plug, but the plug only has two wires out of it and isn't wired up right at all (per PA Performance)...so if you were to trace back from the stock two plugs, back, where does it end up??? In other words, where is the other end of the two plugs go in the engine bay????

below are stock plugs for a fox alternator....where does the wiring go???

Last edited by spydermandb; 06-30-2009 at 11:35 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2009, 10:26 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (1)

The plug that goes in the 3g should have 3 wires, one the yellow goes to the post of the alternator, the other wire has a little square plug that plugs in and then there is a light green / red, this wire gets connected to the old 2g wiring with the same color.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 07-01-2009, 02:41 PM   #3

what im looking for is where the stock wiring runs TO, nevermind the 3g swap...
Old 07-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (0)

try this...

link..

http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/?p=63
Old 07-01-2009, 10:37 PM   #5
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (22)

See if this helps.

http://www.veryuseful.com/mustang/te...nks-ign-ac.gif
Old 07-19-2009, 10:55 PM   #6

what about the stock yellow wire that comes from the car, where does that go??? just hangs there not connected? the yellow wire from the plug goes to the alternator post, so.... im not sure....picture below is what im talking about....,

Last edited by spydermandb; 07-19-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2009, 06:13 AM   #7
Authorized corral.net Advertiser

Trader Feedback: (274)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spydermandb View Post
what about the stock yellow wire that comes from the car, where does that go??? just hangs there not connected? the yellow wire from the plug goes to the alternator post, so.... im not sure....picture below is what im talking about....,
The yellow wire is a voltage sensing wire (constant hot)
The yellow wire from your car's harness, if not hooked up, is a live constant hot 12v circuit, and should be taped up or either go to the yellow out of the alternator.
You really need a picture of the 3G regulator for us to see, as you might have a self exciting type regulator, and the diagram above, or PAperformance's tutorial will do you no good if that's the case, because the wiring is different for a self exciting type.
If you can read the numbers on the regulator, if it has a series of numbers that have "SE" in them, then you have a self exciting type. A self exciting regulator will also be missing the green wire from the connector. It will have the yellow wire go from the ASI connector, straight to the alternator's charge post, the white wire will go from the ASI connector then plug into the alternator. The green wire not there.

If you have a normal 3G regulator, then the diagram above will do, but if you can, it's better to have that yellow wire get it's voltage sample from the yellow wire on your harness (if that yellow wire from your harness is still constant hot)
Old 07-20-2009, 06:16 AM   #8

Quote:
That yellow wire goes up stream of the harness and taps a 12v constant hot, as a voltage sample for the voltage regulator.
Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #9

i went to the local autozone and got a new , not reman alternator, with a lifetime warranty for a 95 gt....so i would think that is a normal one....

Last edited by spydermandb; 07-21-2009 at 11:35 AM.
Old 07-21-2009, 11:34 AM   #10

So pic 1 is how my 3g in my 90 fox was wired..

BUT! is this how it's suppose to be wired then??????

Or do i just leave the yellow wire from car NOT connected like this...

Old 07-21-2009, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
So pic 1 is how my 3g in my 90 fox was wired..
http://www.midwestmustangassociation...&pictureid=434
That's the correct way, because the yellow wire is getting voltage sample from a remote location. Then you would need a heavy gauge wire going from the alternator's charge post to the battery's positive (or battery side of solenoid.
Tape up the bare wires on the yellow wire, it's constant hot.

------------------------------------
Quote:
BUT! is this how it's suppose to be wired then??????
http://www.midwestmustangassociation...&pictureid=435
That will work too, but the yellow wire is the voltage sensing circuit. Getting the voltage sample straight from the alternator doesn't give a accurate tell of the voltage (ideally, the first picture is best, but picture 2 will work fine too)

-------------------------

Quote:
Or do i just leave the yellow wire from car NOT connected like this...
http://www.fordfuelinjection.com/pub...ALT_wiring.jpg
That harness doesn't suggest not hooking up the yellow wire. It would be the same as picture 2 (going from the center of the ASI connector, straight to the alternator's charge post.
The yellow wire has to be hooked up

Last edited by grn92conv; 07-21-2009 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:04 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by grn92conv View Post
That's the correct way, because the yellow wire is getting voltage sample from a remote location. Then you would need a heavy gauge wire going from the alternator's charge post to the battery's positive (or battery side of solenoid.
Tape up the bare wires on the yellow wire, it's constant hot.

wire was taped up, i just untaped it to ensure the solder job i did awhile back was good...

the reason im wondering about the wiring is that my battery guage drops on initial startup then jumps back up to mid normal and the engine stumbles....and when i put my lights on the battery guage goes down to low normal and you can even hear the fuel pump get a little quieter like the lights are a strain on the charging system...not to mention on the dyno the car went lean above 5k and we even added fuel and it didn't help which means not enough pump, but i shouldn't be out of 255lph pump at my numbers.... so i figured out that my alternator is not working right and/or wired right since voltage dropped while on dyno

i've swapped out batteries with no change, and now im getting rid of the old 3g that was in and putting another one in, and want to make sure this alternator is right

GREEN 92 CONV ,

i didn't do this swap myself , i actually bought the car with this swap done, i have no idea where all the original wiring went, so my original question in this post is where do the 10 guage black/orange wires along with the white wire thats off the original spade connector run to??? because i no longer see where the white wire is off the spade connector (connector on left side of original picture)..... i think that is my problem with my car......is that white wire not hooked up correctly....the wire im wondering where it goes is circle in pic below..

Last edited by spydermandb; 07-21-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:37 PM   #13

Quote:
wire was taped up, i just untaped it to ensure the solder job i did awhile back was good...

the reason im wondering about the wiring is that my battery guage drops on initial startup then jumps back up to mid normal and the engine stumbles....and when i put my lights on the battery guage goes down to low normal and you can even hear the fuel pump get a little quieter like the lights are a strain on the charging system...not to mention on the dyno the car went lean above 5k and we even added fuel and it didn't help which means not enough pump, but i shouldn't be out of 255lph pump at my numbers.... so i figured out that my alternator is not working right and/or wired right since voltage dropped while on dyno

i've swapped out batteries with no change, and now im getting rid of the old 3g that was in and putting another one in, and want to make sure this alternator is right
GREEN 92 CONV ,
i didn't do this swap myself , i actually bought the car with this swap done, i have no idea where all the original wiring went, so my original question in this post is where do the 10 guage black/orange wires along with the white wire thats off the original spade connector run to??? because i no longer see where the white wire is off the spade connector (connector on left side of original picture)..... i think that is my problem with my car......is that white wire not hooked up correctly....the wire im wondering where it goes is circle in pic below..
http://www.midwestmustangassociation.com/vb3/picture.php?albumid=66&pictureid=436[/IMG]
The white wire goes as shown in all of the pictures posted in this thread >> from the center of the ASI (D shaped connector, to the gray connector, then that gray connector plugs into the alternator.) Both ends plug into the alternator. << That white wire is an external stator circuit, going from one part of the alternator to another.

The black and orange wires are the charge carrying wires. They go from the alternators charge post (stud with nut on back of alternator) to the battery side of the solenoid, that's mounted on your strut tower. You should have a fat (6 to 2 gauge) fused wire added to that circuit.

What are your current drawing add-ons (electric fan, aftermarket ignition, high powered audio ect..)?
Do you have underdrive pulleys?
Is your battery relocated to the trunk?
What's the max RPM you spin?

Last edited by grn92conv; 07-21-2009 at 04:41 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #14

Quote:
The white wire goes as shown in all of the pictures posted in this thread >> from the center of the ASI (D shaped connector, to the gray connector, then that gray connector plugs into the alternator.) Both ends plug into the alternator. << That white wire is an external stator circuit, going from one part of the alternator to another.

The black and orange wires are the charge carrying wires. They go from the alternators charge post (stud with nut on back of alternator) to the battery side of the solenoid, that's mounted on your strut tower. You should have a fat (6 to 2 gauge) fused wire added to that circuit.

What are your current drawing add-ons (electric fan, aftermarket ignition, high powered audio ect..)?
Do you have underdrive pulleys?
Is your battery relocated to the trunk?
What's the max RPM you spin?
i meant where does it go on the STOCK harness, where does it run TO from the STOCK SPADE plug....i do not have a white wire like that anywhere in the engine bay, im trying to find it!!!

and to answer your question, im only running a crane ignition box, no underdrive pulleys, battery is NOT in the trunk, and i spin it to 6k
Old 07-21-2009, 07:58 PM   #15

Quote:
i meant where does it go on the STOCK harness, where does it run TO from the STOCK SPADE plug....i do not have a white wire like that anywhere in the engine bay, im trying to find it!!!

and to answer your question, im only running a crane ignition box, no underdrive pulleys, battery is NOT in the trunk, and i spin it to 6k
-Stock, the white wire goes from the the center of the ASI connector, to the other 2G connector (larger rectangular connector, that has the 2 black and orange wires). The white wire, whether on a 3G or stock 2G is only an external stator circuit that loops from one connector to another.. it doesn't go into the harness, except about 3 inches, long enough to make a loop to go back to the alternator.
(see the very first picture you posted in this topic >> The white wire goes from the big connector on the left, to the center of the smaller connector on the right.
-Stock, the yellow wire goes from the ASI connector, to a 12v source down stream, used as a volt sensing circuit.

-Stock, the green wire runs through gauge. It acts as volt meter signal and is also the alternator turn on wire (ignition switched hot)
Stock the black with orange wires "V" into one wire and go to the solenoid switch, on your strut tower. This is also the same circuit the head lights are on, so it needs to stay hooked up at the solenoid, even if you upgrade the charge wire.

From the information you posted, your alternator's hooked up correctly. You didn't mention if you ran a 4 gauge wire from battery positive (battery side of solenoid switch) to the charge post (stud and nut on back of alt).

I suspect your charging issues are due to insufficient charge wire/ground.
Or a failing alternator.

Last edited by grn92conv; 07-21-2009 at 08:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 12:24 AM   #16

Quote:
-Stock, the white wire goes from the the center of the ASI connector, to the other 2G connector (larger rectangular connector, that has the 2 black and orange wires). The white wire, whether on a 3G or stock 2G is only an external stator circuit that loops from one connector to another.. it doesn't go into the harness, except about 3 inches, long enough to make a loop to go back to the alternator.
(see the very first picture you posted in this topic >> The white wire goes from the big connector on the left, to the center of the smaller connector on the right.
-Stock, the yellow wire goes from the ASI connector, to a 12v source down stream, used as a volt sensing circuit.

-Stock, the green wire runs through gauge. It acts as volt meter signal and is also the alternator turn on wire (ignition switched hot)
Stock the black with orange wires "V" into one wire and go to the solenoid switch, on your strut tower. This is also the same circuit the head lights are on, so it needs to stay hooked up at the solenoid, even if you upgrade the charge wire.

From the information you posted, your alternator's hooked up correctly. You didn't mention if you ran a 4 gauge wire from battery positive (battery side of solenoid switch) to the charge post (stud and nut on back of alt).

I suspect your charging issues are due to insufficient charge wire/ground.
Or a failing alternator.

yes i have a stereo type wire running from the post to the solenoid...not sure of the guage but im going to go buy my own 4 guage with a 175A fuse just to be sure (original owner install the 3g with this wire...looks cheap to me but about a 4 guage, maybe 6...)

where should i check grounds? from the solenoid to the motor ground??

Im hoping the new alternator, teamed with a new 4 guage wire will yield the results im looking for...

Last edited by spydermandb; 07-22-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Old 03-17-2012, 02:49 PM   #17

Trader Feedback: (0)

I just wanted to thank everyone that particpated in this conversation. Although there was a bit of confusion at first, It did help me correct my issue. Last week I bought a 96 Mustang project car. Originally a V6 swapped over to a 351 carb motor. I was informed that the alternator was bad by the previous owner. Easy fix I thought so I went and bought a new one. Guess what, that wasnt it. when the swap was done, the A and I wires were connected to the starter solenoid activator post on the fender mounted solenoidv (only hot in key start position). I connected them both to an ignition on hot wire and snap! it was working! The funniest part of this story is that the reciepts that I was given at purchase show that the swap was done almost a year ago in April of 2011. So I guess that what little they drove it was done in between charging the battery like an electric car!! Ha!

If anyone is aware of a problem in connecting both the green and yellow wires (A and I) to the same location, please let me know. Thanks again for the thread. It's nice to join you here.
Old 03-17-2012, 03:39 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sintrahl View Post
If anyone is aware of a problem in connecting both the green and yellow wires (A and I) to the same location, please let me know. Thanks again for the thread. It's nice to join you here.
Why do you need an answer to that? when there's a correct way to wire it that's idiot easy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement