which side of intake does the permaseal face on Felpro intake gaskets?? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2002, 10:15 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (1)

which side of intake does the printoseal face on Felpro intake gaskets??

When I did my intake installation I used FelPro's 1250 intake gasket which had that blue rings around each port which is supposed to help in sealing the ports and water passages. my question is that I did the install with the printoseal rings facing the heads not facing the lower intake? Does it really matter which side they face? The gaskets themselves did not say "head side" on either side so I do not think it would matter. I did use some adhesive around the water jackets...

It has been drivin about 60 miles since this install and no leaks yet..

anyone want to tell me I did it wrong???
Vortech SC trim, AFM Powerpipe, GT40p heads, 1.6 FMS RR, Pro-M 80mm, 24# injectors w/8:1 FMU, Cobra intake, FMS ceramic headers, high flow H-pipe, Flowmasters, subframes, FMS 65mm tb, 93 Cobra rear disk conversion, 01 Bullitt full suspension kit, FMS alum. drivershaft, cobra upper control arms, 3.55 FMS gears, Moser axles, MSD 6BTM, Mark VIII fan w/DC controller, Autometer: oil, fuel & boost guages, AEM WB 02 sensor, ROH ZS 17" w/Nitto 555

Lots of evil black rifles and ammo!

Last edited by Lxpony; 06-12-2002 at 10:25 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (0)

As far as I know they should face up ( towards the intake ) but if they don't leak don't worry about it.

B.R.
'92 coupe
Best time to date:12.14@122 mph.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-12-2002, 10:29 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (8)

ive always heard with felpros that the side that has felpro written on it should face the outside of the motor.???
Old 06-12-2002, 10:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally posted by dude5l
As far as I know they should face up ( towards the intake ) but if they don't leak don't worry about it.

she-it - why is that?????? Why wouldn't the directions say that then?
Vortech SC trim, AFM Powerpipe, GT40p heads, 1.6 FMS RR, Pro-M 80mm, 24# injectors w/8:1 FMU, Cobra intake, FMS ceramic headers, high flow H-pipe, Flowmasters, subframes, FMS 65mm tb, 93 Cobra rear disk conversion, 01 Bullitt full suspension kit, FMS alum. drivershaft, cobra upper control arms, 3.55 FMS gears, Moser axles, MSD 6BTM, Mark VIII fan w/DC controller, Autometer: oil, fuel & boost guages, AEM WB 02 sensor, ROH ZS 17" w/Nitto 555

Old 06-12-2002, 12:05 PM   #5
Corral Elite Member

Trader Feedback: (9)

I needed the same Info, so I called Tech Support. It took them about 10 minutes, to check it out. They said it really did Not Matter, but most people put the Blue Stripe toward the Intake!

Here is a copy of top 10 FAQ from Federal Mogel Web Site!
See Item #3

Fel-Pro offers technical assistance from 7:30am to 5:00pm central standard time. ASE professionals will answer your technical questions related to engine sealing. They're available by calling 800-325-9353. Many callers have the same questions. We've compiled a list of the most commonly asked questions in this section for your information.

Top Ten Tips

1. Ford V6 & V8 Engines - Most Ford "V" style engines have directional cylinder head gaskets. Allways follow the "Front" stamp on the gasket to locate toward the front of the engine (toward water pump). Following the Front stamp may require the gasket to be "flipped" over in appearance.

2. Head Gasket "Metal Webbing" - The metal webbing between cylinder armors/combustion seals are non-directional. Installation may require the webbing to face the engine block OR the cylinder head depending on the application.

3. Fel-Pro Blue Stripe® - The Blue Stripe on Fel-Pro gaskets is a registered trademark and does not indicate the top or bottom of the gasket. Make sure to follow directional stamps and/or the instruction sheet for proper gasket positioning.

4. Water Temperature Gauges - A water temp gauge only indicates the average temperature of the engine's coolant. A water temp gauge does NOT indicate the cylinder head casting temperature, in which, the head gasket is subjected to.

5. PermaTorque® Gaskets - When installing a cylinder head gasket which has a stamped part number suffix of "PT", you do NOT have to retorque the gasket. If desired, it may be retorqued when using standard head bolts (the amount of clamping force against the gasket only increases and will not damage the gasket). Do NOT retorque if using Torque-To-Yield (T-T-Y) head bolts.

6. Flatness & Surface Finishes

7. Replacement of Head Bolts - In most cases, T-T-Y head bolts should be replaced. Standard type head bolts need to be replaced only if the bolts appear to be stretched or damaged. Typically, standard head bolts are torqued to a foot pound value only. T-T-Y bolts are torqued to degrees of rotation as final tightening. In most cases, T-T-Y bolts are stretched after use and should be replaced.

8. When to Apply Sealer to a Head Gasket - If the head gasket is a full metal body gasket (except multi layered steel design), sealer is required on both sides. One sided metal gaskets require sealer only on the metal side, but may be applied to both sides.

9. Core Sand Relief Holes - Some cylinder head gaskets do not have the same number of holes as the engine block or cylinder head. This is normal. Some of the holes in the head and block are actually called core sand relief holes which allow the core sand to drain out after the head or block has been cast at the foundry. Engineers test the castings to determine which holes should be completely open, closed or partially open to meter the coolant through the engine.

10. Intake Manifold Coolant Port Block-Offs - Some intake gaskets purposely block off coolant ports to enable the engine coolant to flow in a predetermined path through the engine. If these ports are not blocked off it could create a short circuit in the cooling system.

Old 06-12-2002, 12:58 PM   #6

thanks for that info - I can not figure out why it would matter anyway...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement