how do i hook up a msd 6al to an HEI distributor? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2009, 11:32 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (11)

how do i hook up a msd 6al to an HEI distributor?

i am going through the MSD download, the first issue is that it has you count the pins on the distributor module. pretty sure mine is a 5, yet the harness looks nothing like the pic. i have a 3 wire harness that goes from the coil to the diz. it is black, red, orange. i assume (-), (+), and mag pick up?

the the coil has 5 pin outs. the MSD pic (page 17) makes it look like i need to jump additional wires to the pins. here's the link.

http://www.msdignition.com/uploadedF...uctions(1).pdf

any help would be great.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2009, 12:00 AM   #2
kim
Moderator & USAF (Retired)

Trader Feedback: (0)

Your trying to wire in a duraspark distributor? Do you want to use the white wire from the MSD unit, or do you want to use the crank trigger from the distributor. The system has two ways to trigger spark from the duraspark, whit wire, is like old points system, its an electric field break... magnetic pickpup, is using the distributor... I did mine direct,

Purple wire from MSD to orange wire distributor. Green wire MSD to purple wire distributor, black wire not used. Just put #6-8 solierless female spade conctors on the MSD wires, and plugged em into the distributor housing. A zip tie harness and a little electrical tape, viola..

Basically, you have your option, pic from page 17, treats it like an old point system, pic page 18, uses magnetic pick-up
Old 04-22-2009, 09:10 AM   #3

retired USAF huh....i am 9 years in, myself.

okay i am trying to go through this, and it doesn't make sense to me. first off, i have the msd 6AL. the wires are, big black=grond. big red=power. then there is a orange wire and black wire bundled together. and a red wire and white wire bundled together.

i am not sure what ignition box you are describing, but mine doesn't have those colors.

second my dizz only has a 3 wire harness coming off. so the msd pic shows a 5 hole harness to plug into.

any help? thanks.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Rom 5:8
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:29 AM   #4
kim

No wires out the left side of the box? Just the wires out the right?

The Green and Violet wires are part of a plug harness that plugs into the short wire assembly sticking out the left side the box.

IF your going to wire it with just the wires from the right side of the box, your going to use the image 17 verbatum.

Whit to green that used to run to the coil. Red to red, that used to run to the coil. Orange to coil positive post, and black to coil negative post.
Heavy gauge red and black go direct to the battery positive and ground. Viola, should be working.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:48 PM   #5

do i need to use the additional jumpers?

thanks a lot!

Old 04-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
kim

Nope.. not if you don't want to.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement