Intake manifold spacer - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-13-2009, 06:02 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (15)

Intake manifold spacer

When a spacer is placed between the lower and upper intake (EFI) does this raise or lower the rpm operating range? If so by how much say for a 3/8" and 1/2' spacer.

Thanks
BigLar
1995 mustang gt . Coming soon: 347 Mexican block 11.1 cr- custom cam -trackheat - victor jrs -70mm TB - 90mm MAF- 1 3/4 " mac shorties -Tweecer tuned -UCC convertor - Lentech Aode - 4.10`s full spool ,33 spline c clip elim - 28x10.5x15 MT et drags FOOTBRAKE BRACKET RACER
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrylass View Post
When a spacer is placed between the lower and upper intake (EFI) does this raise or lower the rpm operating range? If so by how much say for a 3/8" and 1/2' spacer.

Thanks
BigLar
In theory it will make more torque at a lower rpm. usually it will keep the upper intake cooler. most of the time its a waste of money. Buy underdrive pulleys and make hp, or switch to synthetic oil or fresh plugs.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:22 AM   #3

Trader Feedback: (7)

I have the 1/2 inch one granted i did throttle body ac delete gt40 intake at the same time so i didnt notice a diff but my upper intake is always nice and cool, keeping the upperintake cooler is always good
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 04-14-2009, 05:58 AM   #4

BigLar - theoretically when you increase the runner length, you shift the power/torque curves down a bit - perhaps a bit more torque at lower rpm at the expense of power higher up. IF the insulation results in a cooler intake charge, that picks you up power/torque across the rpm range.

However - I'd be surprised if any of it amounts to much -- the cooler upper intake might help a bit if you're icing between drag or autocross rounds. Road racing and on the street the upper intake is gonna heat soak anyway.

As a practical matter - the spacers are useful to help clear tall valve covers.
Old 04-14-2009, 08:38 AM   #5

Trader Feedback: (9)

they must help some, cooler charge. they also help to clear taller valve covers. good luck.

Last edited by dy85merc; 04-15-2009 at 01:37 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy85merc View Post
they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them. they also help to clear taller valve covers. good luck.
You know, the same could be said for the Tornado.....they sell, but guess what, they don't work.
You can make stupid people believe stuff works......(not saying the spacer helps or not, just don't really like your example).
Old 04-14-2009, 09:13 AM   #7

Trader Feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBird View Post
You know, the same could be said for the Tornado.....they sell, but guess what, they don't work.
You can make stupid people believe stuff works......(not saying the spacer helps or not, just don't really like your example).
At least the tornado has a hair of science behind it, how many millions of those fuel conditioner magnets are sold each year?
Old 04-14-2009, 09:25 AM   #8

Trader Feedback: (23)

i only use a spacer to clear my fp reg
Old 04-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #9

the spacer does keep the upper alot cooler, before i had one i couldnt even touch the intake after a drive, now no problem
Old 04-14-2009, 06:17 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 95BadBird View Post
cool, i'd say cooler charge, maybe a little difference, plus clear taller valve covers. i'd say they do something. i'd appreciate it if you don't jump on my reply, just adding my opinion trying to help out.

Last edited by dy85merc; 04-14-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-14-2009, 07:35 PM   #11

Trader Feedback: (15)

Thanks for the replys guys. The reason i was asking about the spacer is i have a streetheat intake and im doing a 347 build which will need the rpm range of the trackheat. I was hoping i didnt have to change upper intakes but it looks like i will have to unless i want to choke off this motor. build will be;
347 mexican block w/ scat internals 11-1 CR
FTI custom cam hyd roller
victor jr`s 60 cc chambers
Trackheat intake w/ 75mm TB
90mm Lighening MAF
Tweecer rt tuned
BBK shorties for now. I know!! but its an AODE= PITA for header fitment. Ill change this though soon!!!
UCC Convertor probably 4500-5000 stall
28x10.5x15 et drags
N/A for brackets and N2O when i race my big inch windsor friends )
Strickly a track bracket car
1995 mustang gt . Coming soon: 347 Mexican block 11.1 cr- custom cam -trackheat - victor jrs -70mm TB - 90mm MAF- 1 3/4 " mac shorties -Tweecer tuned -UCC convertor - Lentech Aode - 4.10`s full spool ,33 spline c clip elim - 28x10.5x15 MT et drags FOOTBRAKE BRACKET RACER
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #12

Isolating the upper intake from the engine with a spacer will allow the cooler air flowing in to reach the cylinders at a lower temp and a higher density then without it.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:16 PM   #13

"they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them." Well, not exactly. Great example is the infamous Cold Air Intake. They sell TONS of them. To replace what? The FACTORY cold air intake. And the fact is that hanging the conical under the hood often results in ingestion of HOTTER air than the factory box picks up from the fenderwell. They show a dyno run gain -- which is, of course, run with the hood up. Drive it off the dyno and it starts pulling in hot air -- and you lose 1% HP for every 10F of intake air temp gain. LOTS of stuff that's purported to help doesn't help at all (or even hurts) -- and still gets sold/bought.

"Isolating the upper intake from the engine with a spacer will allow the cooler air flowing in to reach the cylinders at a lower temp and a higher density then without it." In theory this is true. In practice, the upper intake heat-sinks to about the same temp with or without a spacer. Just takes it a bit longer with the spacer. So - if you're icing between short runs (autocross or strip) --- you might keep it a bit cooler -- but you also increased runner length which has the potential to increase drag and HURT flow at high rpms. And on the street or the road course - it's gonna eventually heat-sink anyway.

Use 'em to clear tall covers. Otherwise, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Like a Tornado-brand CAI.
Old 04-14-2009, 11:24 PM   #14

Trader Feedback: (111)

They work good IMO.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:22 AM   #15

Trader Feedback: (29)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMF03 View Post
They work good IMO.
Don't take this personal because I am going to pick on you.

I have been seeing responses like this a lot in tech and I feel they really aren't very helpful. Why is this part good. Does it:

-Increase H/P
-Increase TQ
-Shift Power Band
-Keep the intake cooler
-Allow the use of taller valve covers
-Give you can excuse to justify a cowl hood
-Supports the workers at the intake spacer factory

It is apparent to us that you really like your spacer and if you really want us to use one let us know why we should or should not use one.

I have one and am debating using it or not.
1993 Coyote swap SSP Notch
Old 04-15-2009, 08:35 AM   #16

Trader Feedback: (12)

i ran a 1 inch spacer on both my GT-40 intake and my Victor 5.0. The GT-40 was because I wanted to try and cool the upper a little. It worked good when the car was NA. The intake stayed cool enough that I could put the back of my hand on the intake and not feel like it was being burned. When I put a SC on the motor I no longer noticed a temp difference. I didnt notice a difference in RPM range either.

As for the spacer on my Victor, it was purely for packaging needs, but I know the upper plenum stays pretty cool.
1992 LX hatch, midnight blue/RNH Dart 347/9.0:1/TFS TW 170/Victor Jr/Q750/FTI cam/1 3/4 LTs/3" Xpipe, 3" magnaflows/Hanlon TKO 500/4:10's/3225lbs
EFI - 12.37 @ 119.57, 91mph 1/8 w 2.11 60ft /CARBED - times to come
1967 Ranchero, 390, C6, 9 inch rear

Last edited by Dart347GT; 04-15-2009 at 08:44 AM.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:38 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
"they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them." Well, not exactly. Great example is the infamous Cold Air Intake. They sell TONS of them. To replace what? The FACTORY cold air intake. And the fact is that hanging the conical under the hood often results in ingestion of HOTTER air than the factory box picks up from the fenderwell. They show a dyno run gain -- which is, of course, run with the hood up. Drive it off the dyno and it starts pulling in hot air -- and you lose 1% HP for every 10F of intake air temp gain. LOTS of stuff that's purported to help doesn't help at all (or even hurts) -- and still gets sold/bought.

"Isolating the upper intake from the engine with a spacer will allow the cooler air flowing in to reach the cylinders at a lower temp and a higher density then without it." In theory this is true. In practice, the upper intake heat-sinks to about the same temp with or without a spacer. Just takes it a bit longer with the spacer. So - if you're icing between short runs (autocross or strip) --- you might keep it a bit cooler -- but you also increased runner length which has the potential to increase drag and HURT flow at high rpms. And on the street or the road course - it's gonna eventually heat-sink anyway.

Use 'em to clear tall covers. Otherwise, there are probably better ways to spend your money. Like a Tornado-brand CAI.
so now it's cold air intake? i thought we were talking about spacers. fact of the matter is, if you are getting a cold air intake, get one that gets air outside the engine bay. like the one's that gets air the fenderwell, and i'm sure in or out they still flow a lot more air than a "stocker". and please, michael yount, get off my back. you spend more time trying to prove me wrong than trying to help other people. what"s up with that? and i'm sorry i don't use capital letters mike, i'm no desk jockey, my favorite shift key has 5 gears and it's not on a keyboard. thanks.
Old 04-15-2009, 01:57 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by dy85merc View Post
they must help some, cooler charge. they also help to clear taller valve covers. good luck.
there. better?
Old 04-15-2009, 06:26 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (111)

Arrow Intake spacer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGT View Post
Don't take this personal because I am going to pick on you.

I have been seeing responses like this a lot in tech and I feel they really aren't very helpful. Why is this part good. Does it:

-Increase H/P
-Increase TQ
-Shift Power Band
-Keep the intake cooler
-Allow the use of taller valve covers
-Give you can excuse to justify a cowl hood
-Supports the workers at the intake spacer factory

It is apparent to us that you really like your spacer and if you really want us to use one let us know why we should or should not use one.

I have one and am debating using it or not.
The big thing is the tall valve covers but they also keep Temps down in the intake and im sure they help with HP/TQ every little bit helps (Cheap Bolton)

Make you happy
Old 04-15-2009, 08:43 PM   #20

"there. better?" Not so much. The spacer doesn't result in a cooler charge in most applications. And the type of CAI you suggest as being the most effective is EXACTLY what the factory airbox is.

Relax there merc -- not on your back. If anyone said something like "they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them", it's incumbent on someone to set the record straight. As for proving you wrong vs. helping others - perhaps you could re-read post #4 which was posted long before you came into the thread. I only responded to your "helpful" post --- "they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them". It's a forum. Look it up. Different perspectives occur - it's predictable. People can read it all and decide for themselves what's helpful.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:58 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
"there. better?" Not so much. The spacer doesn't result in a cooler charge in most applications. And the type of CAI you suggest as being the most effective is EXACTLY what the factory airbox is.

Relax there merc -- not on your back. If anyone said something like "they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them", it's incumbent on someone to set the record straight. As for proving you wrong vs. helping others - perhaps you could re-read post #4 which was posted long before you came into the thread. I only responded to your "helpful" post --- "they must help some, if they didn't they wouldn't sell them". It's a forum. Look it up. Different perspectives occur - it's predictable. People can read it all and decide for themselves what's helpful.
cool.
Old 04-15-2009, 11:47 PM   #22

Trader Feedback: (72)

i found the spacer not worth the headache of gaining 5 hp that you'll never feel. when raising the intake on 94/95 cars it makes connecting the egr tube a bitch, makes lining up intake induction tubes, hoses, etc a pain, and is basically not worth any of the aggravation associated with installing one. and those are real world facts from someone who used to run one.
95 Cobra #1679
Copy and paste link for my 363 thread
http://forums.corral.net/forums/5-0-5-8-engine-tech/1283537-fordstrokers-363-pics.html
Old 04-16-2009, 09:21 PM   #23

Trader Feedback: (71)

Think about how heat is transferred to the intake under the hood. There is a gasket between the upper and lower plenum that serves as a fine insulator (two gaskets if you run a plenum spacer). Two gaskets alone are going to greatly reduce conduction; which is what a phenolic spacer is advertised to reduce. The other two methods of heat transfer are convection (hot air sitting or circulating around the intake) and radiant heat (invisible energy particles emitted from headers, engine block, e.t.c.). With that said, most of the heat that gathers on the upper intake plenum is from convection and radiant heat transfer since you have insulators (gaskets) between the upper and lower plenums to block heat transfer via conduction. From my personal experience, a spacer is only worth the money if you need it to clear taller valve covers or want to experiment with engine response via runner length tuning. There is not much to gain toward your insulation factor by adding a phenolic spacer to insulating plenum gaskets. JMHO.
Old 04-16-2009, 09:52 PM   #24

Trader Feedback: (11)

I have one and only purchased it so that I could clear my tall valve covers. But, I have to admit the upper is cooler as you can rest your hand on it without getting burned. Without the spacer the upper was too hot to touch. So in a sense it does keep the upper somewhat cooler, how much cooler? I don't know.
1.59 60'
Sponsored Links
Advertisement