5.0 C4 what flex plate do I use? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 PM   #1

Trader Feedback: (0)

5.0 C4 what flex plate do I use?

I got an 89' 5.0 that ran great with an AOD. I switch to a C4 using the C4 flexplate and now I got a pretty bad vibration from 2000 to about 4000 RPM. I guessing I shouldn't have used the flywheel from the C4. Can I use the AOD flexplate with the C4 or do I need a 3rd flex plate for this combo?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2008, 08:13 PM   #2

Trader Feedback: (23)

If the AOD flexpate and the C-4 flex plate are the same diameter, you can use the AOD flex(164 tooth). If the C-4 flex is smaller(157 tooth)you will need to get a 50oz imbalance 157 tooth flexplate
Old 10-26-2008, 08:27 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (8)

you have installed a 28 oz flywheel. you need a 50.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #4

What are the chances my 28oz flexplate has 164 teeth? I don't know what it came out of but it was attached to a 289.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #5

Trader Feedback: (8)

you need whatever size your bellhousing on the c4 is made for. 157 or 164.an AOD should have a 164 th...
Old 10-27-2008, 03:43 PM   #6

the ISSUE is the "balance factor".. most late model STOCK fox type cranks are 50 ounce...
all the early "289" cranks were 28 ounce balance.

so you need to get a 50 ounce balance flywheel.

the TOOTH COUNT will fix itself, because if it is wrong,...your starter will not engage and turn over the engine.

so, buy the tooth count that will match the starter / bellhousing diameter.......
there aint no shortcuts to doing it RIGHT....
Old 10-27-2008, 04:53 PM   #7

You must have the larger bellhousing for the C-4 in order to have the 164 tooth plate. You will have about an 1/8th of an inch clearance on the plate to the inside of the bellhousing.
Good luck
Old 10-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #8

Well I confirmed that the correct flexplate was used. So now I'm really stumped. The vibration is only from exactly 2,000 rpm to 2,400 RMP. At 2,500 it's gone. Anybody have any insite on something like this?
Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM   #9

IT IS NOT the correct flexplate balance if you say that it came off of a 289.....

or the fact that putting in a AOD is not allways just a "bolt it in and run" type of deal...
because,
the converter is different THICKNESS and sometimes the input shaft has to be altered to fit the LENGTH if the splines inside.
maybe the pilot nose of converter is not going into the "register hole" in the back of crank....
all of these will cause an additional imbalance other than the flywheel not being correct.

many shops / people just do not know that there are different "balabce factors" in the 289/302 engines and that many parts do not interchange....
Old 10-27-2008, 07:51 PM   #10

I didn't use the 289 flexplate, I used the 5.0.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #11

the torque converter has to "fit" in the pilot hole on end of crank...
the converter has to be balanced.
the converter has to have free play and looseness fore and aft between the flywheel and transmission pump ,while the trans is bolted up tight...and then bolt the flywheel to the converter.

if it did not shake BRFORE,
then the problem is in the flywheel or still in the transmission.
maybe you dropped the driveshaft and it is bent or a bad universal cross bearing....
Old 10-28-2008, 05:37 PM   #12

I never heard of a flywheel shaking only in a 400 rpm range. Usually if you have the wrong flywheel is will shake at idle and only get worse as the RPMs go up.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:13 AM   #13

it is possible that the flywheel that you have was not balanced verry acurately as compared to whatever your previous one was...
they are not very accurate as compared to when ACURATELY balanced on AN EXACT balance machine to replicate all the factors...

when I balance crank / flywheel / dampener assemblies. we often find NEW FLYWHEELS that are not as accurate as they should be.
Old 08-09-2014, 03:00 AM   #14

I am currently battling this same issue in my 65 mustang. I just swapped in a Ford Racing 306 motor. I put a performance automatic 50 oz 157 tooth flexplate on it. I used the same Torque Converter and C4 tranny. I have a signifcant vibration from 2000 rpm on and it's driving me nuts. I noticed in this thread while searching the net tonight that there was mention of the nose of the TC fitting in the crank. I've driven the car about 50 miles so I'm confident that the TC is seated properly or the tranny would be toast by now but....... when I removed the nuts that hold the TC to the flexplate the TC would not move backwards all. The Flexplate I have is dual drilled for a couple different applications. It all went together super smooth but I'm stumped on what is causing the vibration. I didn't have it before with the 60's 302 I pulled out of the car using the same torque converter and tranny. Any ideas...below are the specs

Engine Ford Racing BRAND NEW Crate motor 306 X302D (dressed) 1981+ 5.0
New production 4-bolt crankshaft damper M-6316-M50 (came on engine)
Performance Automatic PAX30215 50OZ external balanced Flexplate
Unknown Torque Converter I reused it
Reman'd C-4 Tranny (Just had it torn it down, serviced and resealed by a reputable shop

Sponsored Links
Advertisement