What cam for STREET 347? - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
Go Back   Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum > Windsor Tech Forums > 5.0/5.8 Engine Tech

Corral.net is the premier Ford Mustang Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 AM   #1

Trader Feedback: (7)

What cam for STREET 347?

Before you say it....I searched. I'm getting a 347 built now and I need advice on a streetable cam. This car will never see the 1/4 mile and will be my "weekend" car. I DO NOT want any issues with bucking or surging or any of that other stuff that goes with big cams. I am running TFS twisted wedge heads with upgraded springs. I will also be running the TFS track heat intake. I thought seriously about the TFS stage 2 cam just because it seems to be street friendly. I will be running A/C, power steering and such and it is a 5 speed car with 1.6 rockers. So what do you guys run/suggest?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 AM   #2

Trader Feedback: (17)

i had good luck with an e cam in my 347. made 347hp and 390trq
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 10-04-2008, 12:25 PM   #3

Trader Feedback: (1)

custom cam based on your setup and driveability/performance requirements.
LUK=Let Us Know, GL=Good Luck, LMK=Let Me Know, JIC=Just In Case, BTSTDTRT=Been There Seen That Done That Repaired That, YCYDYP=Your Car Your Dough Your Prerogative and the classic... DILLIGAS=Do I Look Like I Give A S***

1986 Mustang GT w/T-Tops

NOW: 5.0L Stock shortblock, X303 Cam, SP Offy. Port-O-Sonic, 700 cfm DP Holley, 289 '66, 1.7 RR, Richmond Gear 4+1 Trans., Centerforce DF kit, 2.73 Gears

WIP: 3.90 Gears(Motive Performance), LS Overhaul (FRPP), Adj. LCA's (New Design Granatelli Aluminum), Adj. UCA's (Granatelli), Caster/Camber Plates (MM), Subframe Conn. (MM) T-Top weatherstriping and rear braces bodywork
Old 10-04-2008, 12:29 PM   #4

Trader Feedback: (37)

Go with a custom camshaft, with YOUR goals in mind.

Good Luck.
Old 10-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #5

Well, I have talked to several people (engine builders) and they all seem to think that a custom cam is not needed since I am using this is a street car with full accessories. I also would like to save a little cash if possible so I would really like to stick with an off the shelf cam if possible.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:03 PM   #6

Trader Feedback: (0)

IMO, I think you'll like the stage 2. Good street manners with plenty of umph.
95 Cobra: 357, ported ProComp heads, XE cam, 1.7's, lightning intake, 80mm TB, LMAF, 1.75 shorties, 3:73's, built AOD w/3000 stall, 13" brakes, M5400A suspension, panhard, subframes, Kennebell, blah-blah-blah $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-04-2008, 08:14 PM   #7

Trader Feedback: (0)

x2 on the TFS stage 2. I run it with full accessories. It's just a little lumpy, and it doesn't come on too late to be fun for the street.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:29 PM   #8

My car is a street car with full accessories. A custom is the reason it runs extremely well AND gets 18/27 mpg city/highway. Customs aren't just for race cars -- they're for anyone that wants 1) to not GUESS at a camshaft, and 2) wants some certainty on how the car is going to perform.

Especially with the stroker -- get a cam that's designed for your combo. It's not that much more than buying a quality contemporary cam. These guys can help -- I've dealt with both and they're quality through and through. They'll model your set up and recommend a cam. If there's an off the shelf model that's close - Buddy will tell you about it if that's what you want.

www.flowtechinduction.com Ed Curtis
http://www.wighat.com/fcr3/index.html Buddy Rawls
Old 10-04-2008, 08:42 PM   #9

This is the one I used in my 66 Mustang. I built a 347, Z heads, parker funnel web intake and the comp cam XFI236HR-14 It is awesome for an off the shelf cam and is specifically made for a stroker.

Here is a link to a story about it in Mustangs and Fast Fords.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...aro/index.html

Here is the spec card from comp
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1068&sb=1
67 GT500 #2100 owned since 1987
66 Mustang GT fastback, Z headed 347, astroperformance T5, 9 inch rear, detroit locker, 4.22 gears
65 Cyclone drag car
2006 Mustang GT, Roushcharger, 4.10's, metco lca's, line lock, MGW shifter, alum driveshaft
Old 10-04-2008, 08:44 PM   #10

Trader Feedback: (12)

I have a 331 stroker with a Camshaft Innovations cam - money well spent. I have mildly ported TW heads. I would ditch the Track heat intake for a Holley Systemax or a RPM 2 intake - the track heat will work, but there are better options for a 347 plus the track heat is butt ugly (IMHO).
Old 10-04-2008, 09:18 PM   #11

I've had lots of people suggest this cam to me. Is it a very street friendly cam? No bucking surging issues??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangs4life View Post
This is the one I used in my 66 Mustang. I built a 347, Z heads, parker funnel web intake and the comp cam XFI236HR-14 It is awesome for an off the shelf cam and is specifically made for a stroker.

Here is a link to a story about it in Mustangs and Fast Fords.
http://www.musclemustangfastfords.co...aro/index.html

Here is the spec card from comp
http://www.compcams.com/Cam_Specs/Ca...csid=1068&sb=1
Old 10-04-2008, 09:30 PM   #12

Trader Feedback: (2)

2 guys i know have a XE274HR copying by TFS as the stg2 . one is carbed the other fuel injected, both street car, both seems to like it
.444cam/E7 on a well worn factory short block
Old 10-04-2008, 09:40 PM   #13

Trader Feedback: (25)

I have a very similar set-up and almost identical goals: DD, never see the strip, full accessories, must pass smog, heavy vert. However, I will do an occasional autocross and/or open track day which means this heavy car must pull out of turns and run pretty well down the streight. I talked to a custom cam guy who recommended heads, intake, etc. the whole thing is matched to my goals - the idea is not to spend money unnecesarily. Your OTS cam will cost only marginally less when it's all said and done assuming you guess right. If you guess wrong, the extra cost will more than exceed the cost of the custom - plus the R&R to make it right.
Old 10-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastangtremec View Post
I've had lots of people suggest this cam to me. Is it a very street friendly cam? No bucking surging issues??
I am running a 5 speed with a 3.89 gear in a 9 inch rear end. Carbed, 750 Barry Grant carb, edelbrock mechanical fuel pump and it runs and idles nicely. No bucking and no surging.
67 GT500 #2100 owned since 1987
66 Mustang GT fastback, Z headed 347, astroperformance T5, 9 inch rear, detroit locker, 4.22 gears
65 Cyclone drag car
2006 Mustang GT, Roushcharger, 4.10's, metco lca's, line lock, MGW shifter, alum driveshaft
Old 10-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #15

Trader Feedback: (3)

Comp cam XE282HR, one bad ass cam for the street.
93 Black Mustang Cobra-R356ci, Victor 300cc heads, Sup Vic
Old 10-05-2008, 08:03 PM   #16

Trader Feedback: (41)

custom cam here as well with just street use. I told Jay Allen from camshaft innovations what my plans were and he ground one for me. I'm getting about 19mpg with it city, haven't burned up a tank of gas with just straight highway miles yet.
Old 10-05-2008, 09:28 PM   #17

I really appreciate all of the help! The only thing about going with a custom cam is the cost. $300+pushrods. That ends up being $400 or more. I know what you're thinking "why spend $2,000+ on a stroker and bitch about $400 for a cam. I already have the TFS stage 1 cam and if I go with the TFS stage 2 I can use the same pushrods that I currently have according to TFS tech. Am I really going to be hurting myself if I do go with the TFS stage 2?
Old 10-05-2008, 10:04 PM   #18

Trader Feedback: (37)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
My car is a street car with full accessories. A custom is the reason it runs extremely well AND gets 18/27 mpg city/highway. Customs aren't just for race cars -- they're for anyone that wants 1) to not GUESS at a camshaft, and 2) wants some certainty on how the car is going to perform.

Especially with the stroker -- get a cam that's designed for your combo. It's not that much more than buying a quality contemporary cam. These guys can help -- I've dealt with both and they're quality through and through. They'll model your set up and recommend a cam. If there's an off the shelf model that's close - Buddy will tell you about it if that's what you want.

Exactly.

Many want or believe you should run XX.XX ET or run XXX.XX MPH with a custom camshaft, but they are dead wrong!

If you want to run 120 MPH at the sacrifice of some driveability wants, do it.

If you want to run 115 MPH at the sacrifice of some performance wants, do it.

It is YOUR goals that you should worry about.

Sometimes budgets factor into things and we all understand that.
Old 10-05-2008, 10:23 PM   #19

Trader Feedback: (17)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Yount View Post
They'll model your set up and recommend a cam. If there's an off the shelf model that's close - Buddy will tell you about it if that's what you want.

I think Buddy charges $30-$35 to spec one out. Then you can make an informed opinion if there is one "close" using an OTS cam.
AFR 185's, Weiand Stealth Intake, 770 Street Avenger, BBK 1 3/4 Longtubes, Dynomax Super Turbos, 3.55's, MK VIII elec. fan w/DC Controller, Magnum 280H cam, Mech. FP, 3550, and 2001 Bullit Susp. (401 RWHP/ 457 ft/lbs Torque)

1990 LX HCI/Vortech V2SQS
Old 10-05-2008, 11:38 PM   #20

you might as well ask us what color is best too, everyone has there opinion

a cam is way too important to the engine performance to just be asking someone you dont know, dont know there qualifications, dont know anything about them to be putting your trust in cam selection.

first off a cam is what brings all the parts together.it makes your heads, intake shortblock work together.

a cam shouldnt be a cookie cutter part.

for some reason everyone thinkgs a "good" cam will have that classic cam sound, people also think that sound means its got a good amount of lift, when in reality the sound is overlap of the valves being open at the same time.

a custom cam wont just make more power, it uses fuel and air more efficent which turns into more fuel efficent, can have it made for emmisions if your state makes you pass it.

your leaving alot on the table with an OTS cam.

also for the

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastangtremec View Post
I already have the TFS stage 1 cam and if I go with the TFS stage 2 I can use the same pushrods that I currently have according to TFS tech. Am I really going to be hurting myself if I do go with the TFS stage 2?

he still has to check pushrod length and its still a 50/50, TFS probably says that because it will be close enough to use (it might be dead on, i dont know thats why you have to still check)

the extra money you spend on a custom cam will not only be well spent, but it will save you money in the long run
Sponsored Links
Advertisement